DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just back from Sin City 2. More if the same so your enjoyment of it may vary. I enjoyed it, maybe not quite as much as the first, but visually great and the 3d added some nice depth. Doesn't deserve it's bomb status in America though

Just back from Sin City 2. More if the same so your enjoyment of it may vary. I enjoyed it, maybe not quite as much as the first, but visually great and the 3d added some nice depth. Doesn't deserve it's bomb status in America though

I actually enjoyed it more than the first one (watched them both in a double bill). The timeline was kinda confusing though even having seen the first one a half hour before.

• Paid Members

See, I saw the second one as part of a double bill, too. And all I thought was how much it highlighted how much it paled in comparison to the original.

Fuck me, that first Sin City film was slick and stylish. I honestly don't think I've seen since it was in the cinema but it still felt fresh watching it now.

A Dame to Kill For just felt shallow afterwards. It's shorter, has less going on. I'd agree with Soapdish in that it's more of the same and I think I was just hoping for it to do something new. There's been so much advancement in technology since the first one, and yet somehow the first one still has more to it with the overall look and feel.

Still. It was way better than The Spirit so let's all be glad about that.

• Paid Members

I thought Sin City 2 was very average. Some of the performances are good and Eva Green is naked a lot, but I thought the story was a bit weak. I have fond memories of getting out of class early to watch the first and being blown away by it all.

I finished yesterday off by finally seeing Boyhood, which is quite something. A shame the wee fella turns into a knob, though. Bloody students.

• Paid Members

Mulholland Drive is one of the most accessible David Lynch films. I can understand people not getting in to Lost Highway or Inland Empire but Mulholland Drive doesn't belong in that group of Lynch headfucks. That's not to say it's not a bit mental but I wouldn't call it a pretentious waste of time.

I always thought "The Straight Story" was great. Not your typical Lynch story really. Some parts are though.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Sin City 2. Pretty much more of the same, and I didn’t expect any different given the content it’s based on. I think everyone played their parts well, and it was nice to see Mickey Rourke as Marv again.
I would also gleefully hoover the swill clean out of Eva Green’s rusty conduit after she had a bout of gastroenteritis.

• Paid Members

Mulholland Drive is one of the most accessible David Lynch films. I can understand people not getting in to Lost Highway or Inland Empire but Mulholland Drive doesn't belong in that group of Lynch headfucks. That's not to say it's not a bit mental but I wouldn't call it a pretentious waste of time.

I always thought "The Straight Story" was great. Not your typical Lynch story really. Some parts are though.

Possibly my favourite David Lynch film. Just a nice couple of hours.

I haven't seen the second one yet but "more of the same" is just not good enough when it has been that long in between the two. There's expectations set and ther has to be a good reason to re-visit after so long.

Saw it today.

The gap between the two films being made had me thinking that there may have been some new techniques used along with the green screen that the first used so well to create the look of the books. It looked very similar to the first one in that sense, which begs the question why it has taken so long for the second film to be made. Watching it, there was nothing to suggest it couldn't have come out 2-3 years after the original.

As for there not being as much going on, that could be down to basing it on one book, that being A Dame To Kill For, whereas the first film incorporated three books (The Hard Goodbye, That Yellow Bastard and The Big Fat Kill).

It wasn't bad, and I thought Josh Brolin was good as he usually is and Mickey Rourke is perfectly cast as Marv but I would have expected something more for a sequal that has been in development for so long.

Also saw Guardians Of The Galaxy, which was a tonne of fun. I don't tend to bother with the Marvel films, but I'd heard a lot of good things about GOTG I decided to give it a bash. Perhaps having not read any of the comics was a good thing, as I then didn't have any kind of lofty expectations for it going in. Chris Pratt was well cast and Big Dave was in great form, and I thought he had the best line in the film where they are talking about metaphors going over his head ("Nothing would go over my head. My reflexes are too quick...I would catch them")

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators

I haven't seen the second one yet but "more of the same" is just not good enough when it has been that long in between the two. There's expectations set and ther has to be a good reason to re-visit after so long.

Saw it today.

The gap between the two films being made had me thinking that there may have been some new techniques used along with the green screen that the first used so well to create the look of the books. It looked very similar to the first one in that sense, which begs the question why it has taken so long for the second film to be made. Watching it, there was nothing to suggest it couldn't have come out 2-3 years after the original.

If I remember right, they were ready to shoot the sequel within a year or two of the first one, and Angelina Jolie was either cast as the lead, or Robert Rodriguez's first and only choice. Then she got pregnant and they held off for a while to wait for her, and it turned into one of those Robert Rodriguez projects that are "coming next year" for about a decade.