DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I watched Only God Forgives on Thursday. After 28 minutes Ryan Gosling said something. I fell a sleep for ten minutes and upon rewatching the lost minutes I had missed literally nothing. I quite enjoyed Drive, it looked and sounded great and felt like it was leading to something (turned out it wasn't). This is like all the bad parts of a Drive amplified.

Aye, Ryan Gosling should ditch Winding Refn before the world forgets about his oozing sexual prowess and typecast him as an aspies forever more. I've got Mud to watch next, I've high hopes for this one after watching Take Shelter based on the good words it had from this place.

• Paid Members
Can't wait to see Mud. Take Shelter is a brilliant film, one of the best American films of the century.

Both of these have been on my list for ages. Really need to pull my finger out & I love Michael Shannon & McConaughey has been brilliant in the last few films I've seen him in. 'Bernie' especially.

• Paid Members

I watched Monsters and Trollhunter last night. Both were utterly fantastic. Highly recommend. Both are perfect examples of how to use CGI correctly. If you just have endless CG explosions, monsters and fights it's meaningless. But use it sparingly in real round surroundings in realistic ways then they can be potentially jaw droppingly beautiful and affecting.

• Paid Members
Monsters is fantastic. A really different take on that kind of film. Liked it even more the second time. Whitney Able is ever-so-lovely as well.

I really couldn't get into Monsters. I really wanted to like it but I just found it dull. Think I might have to have another watch.

Edited by chokeout

I watched the utterly bat-shit insane Enter the Invincible Hero (1977) the other night. Directed by notorious Kung Fu Z-movie nut case Godfrey Ho (described on Wikipedia as the Ed Wood of Hong Kong). Wow, what an awesome but baffling affair that film was, I totally fucking loved it.

Bruce Lee clone exploitation superstar Dragon Lee is the hero in this whacky flick, in which he is tasked with defending a village from an organised crime ring that pose as some sort of security or delivery service that keep nicking all the villager's money. The top hard case for the baddies has a metal circle on his forehead, and a necklace that lights up, makes a little noise and somehow makes him turn dead hard. He also has an inexplicable little penis coming out of his belly button which seems to be somehow connected to his source of power.

enter-the-invincible-hero.jpg

It's Dragon fucking lee, bitch

After the usual whitewash of fabulously camp kung-fu fighting scenes, Dragon Lee batters the top baddie and then has to fight the big boss of the gang, who takes a cotton glove off to reveal he has little metal circles embedded into his finger tips. Naturally, Dragon Lee rips these out and kicks fuck out of him using his (admittedly very flashy) taekwondo skills. As soon as the last baddie dies, the viewer is hit with a blue screen and the word

Every year I link to this in this thread, so if anyone's interested, the first part of my mammoth year-end best movies list is up. It's all the stuff that didn't make the top 20, and the shittest movies of 2013.

Have at it.

- Love, Spamstro Spammywood.

Cheers for the lists again Woy, always helps me fill in my gaps.

You're spot on about the Spectrum magazines, I used to love those. For me, Christmas hols were all about spending as much time as possible playing Spectrum games, so the last few weeks at school would be all about getting copies of those C90 tapes that used to float about filled with games. Only about 50% of them would load, but that was enough to get you through the hols.

Incidentally, I watched a film you'd enjoy the other night - a documentary called Cropsey, about the crossover between serial killers and folkloric urban myths in the US. Really fascinating story.

Monsters is fantastic. A really different take on that kind of film. Liked it even more the second time. Whitney Able is ever-so-lovely as well.

I really couldn't get into Monsters. I really wanted to like it but I just found it dull. Think I might have to have another watch.

Yeah, nobody warned me not to go in expecting an all out giant monsters B movie so I kind if felt short changed when I had built my expectations up for a kind of District 9 meets Godzilla type film. It's been a few years now so it's due a rewatch from me.

Part of that mind numbing absurdity is what draws me to those films. I love them. I'm certainly not looking for sterling acting performances or even a logical plot when I pop my kug-fu flicks in the video player. I want wild costumes, fighting so elaborate that its practically a dance, and for the whole thing to be a mildly baffling ordeal. A lot of Dragon Lee's films give me that weird fix.

Apart from The Big Boss (which I must have seen 20 odd times) I think I've re watched more of Dragon Lee's material than I have Bruce Lee's. He's certainly my favourite of the imitators. I actually bought a book about the series of