• Paid Members

I love how people are going "I cant believe people are taking this seriously. That was their intention etc". Are peoples standards so low people actually expect us to believe they've worked the smart fans on an announcement by delivering something they would hate? Yeah, she got people semi-excited that Jeff Jarrett or Scott Steiner might come back and delivered Pacman Jones. How is that meant to get her any heat? People already think she's a complete clown. Like Duke says, if you want to work the fans, there are so many different ways. Dont shine a spotlight on a massive mistake from years ago by paying money to bring in someone who was the massive mistake.

And the thing is, the reaction that this has got will probably make them change tact and bring Jarrett back or something. And if they do, why didn't they promote it? This whole situation is a mess. Wrestling is about making fans interested and building to a conclusion where the fans are emotionally interested. There is no defense for this shite. Whatever company does it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

If there was any level of interest this could generate, they should have advertised it on Impact last week. But its just a one off from a celebrity who nobody cares about and they had him on before when he was a huge news piece and it never generated any interest. Because he's a scumbag who nobody likes. 2 or 3 people would probably watch if they booked Russ Abbott next week, but it wouldn't be significant enough to justify just how bush league they come across doing stunts like this. Especially so soon after the Tito Ortiz thing. And that's not taking into account how much they are paying him.

This is a promotion in desperate need of bodies. They have nobody on the roster. They sacked half of them. Its just vanity. Serge probably likes to swap Premier League stickers with him or some shit.

There is no mess. There is a heel authority figure doing the things she's done during her whole heel run - play up to the things everyone has slagged her off for in the past - using a part of their output that a fraction of the Impact audience will see. It has never been a massively built up surprise. It seems obvious to me that heel Dixie will continue to do the things that make people hate her until Jeff Jarrett makes his triumphant return as founder and saviour. The original video teased everybody on his return, and when it actually happens, it will get all the more positive reaction because of everything heel Dixie has been doing. Let the whole story play out rather than freak out over individual parts along the way. It'll all make sense.

• Paid Members

What's the point in all that? If it wasn't "a big deal" as you say, how is it making people hate her? The only people that took interest gave it the "lol TNA" reaction. The ones who either always watch because they are super hardcores or would never watch. The word isn't out to anyone. How is this making people hate her? Nothing you are saying makes a blind bit of sense. Her goal is to get heat on the babyfaces and for the babyfaces to seek revenge and encourage you to watch the TVs, go to the events or buy the PPVs to see the babyface triumph over the dastardly heel owner. What does this do for her, her company, her wrestlers or her fanbase? Expect paying money to a celebrity that didn't draw when he was at his hottest?

And who gives a fuck if Jarrett comes back and takes the company off her? The heel owner vs babyface owner shite has been done about a thousand times in TNA. I want Jarrett back, but I dont want him playing a suit wearing Network Exec or whatever their name is this week. If the end game of the Dixie storyline is to have her lose the company to another person, then its a piss poor storyline (and a one they done 2 years ago). Why should viewers be forced to "let it play out"? You shouldn't "let it play out". You should be compelled enough to want to watch. Not stick it out until things get better.

They're using the Impact365 as another avenue to progress the wrestler's characters and supplement the TV show. The main angle will play out on Impact.

The way you're reacting to it makes out that the fans are complete dimwits. Granted, some of them are, if they couldn't see the obvious kayfabe in the videos. It does no harm to the company to have an on-screen authority figure who makes dumb decisions. We're smart enough to know that wrestling is stories and characters. And those that aren't smart enough have been thinking this is the real Dixie Carter for the last year, 2 years, 10 years, so it makes no difference.

In my opinion, by playing out the real life frustration of the fans on TV, getting Dixie to represent what they hate, and positioning AJ Styles as the voice of reason for the fans, has only served to make AJ more popular. So heel Dixie has already served one babyface very well. Soon enough, she'll serve to help Jeff Jarrett return as a very over babyface.

Why should viewers be forced to "let it play out"? You shouldn't "let it play out". You should be compelled enough to want to watch. Not stick it out until things get better.

A heel being a heel until the face gives them their comeuppance has been the staple of wrestling since time began. Whether it's Tank Abbott smacking around ringside crew for a month, William Regal winning every match for a month using brass knucks or the heel authority figure making decisions that wind the fans up.

• Paid Members

What Tank Abbott and William Regal did was in front of (you know) people. Actual people who could see what they were doing and could invest in their heelish actions. They were telling a story to the regular viewers who invested in them (expect Tank Abbot, who was shite). As opposed to going "hey brilliant idea we're bringing Pacman back" and having people question why they should give a toss? The only advantage of bringing in a celebrity is to draw an outside audience. And announcing it on the internet 2 days before the show takes place isn't promoting that celebrity appearance. So again what is the point?

Even if its true what you are saying, its pretty desperate if people think that this is her only way of getting over. Via smart fans on the internet, who either dont watch or stream it.

The way you're reacting to it makes out that the fans are complete dimwits. Granted, some of them are, if they couldn't see the obvious kayfabe in the videos. It does no harm to the company to have an on-screen authority figure who makes dumb decisions. We're smart enough to know that wrestling is stories and characters. And those that aren't smart enough have been thinking this is the real Dixie Carter for the last year, 2 years, 10 years, so it makes no difference.

"Obvious kayfabe". What are you talking about? Of course its a work. Nobody is saying it isn't. What I'm saying is, its a stupid work, when you are teasing a former world champion and instead bringing in someone who didn't draw in the first place. This does nothing for the promotion except show it in a negative light. That's the problem with TNA. People who hate it are more passionate than the people who like it. Its why they have 1.2 million viewers and only 10,000 PPV buyers and can only run venues half full.

I'm still waiting for the Aces and 8s to play out to be honest. Doesn't look like that is reaching a logical conclusion anytime soon.

I love how people are going "I cant believe people are taking this seriously. That was their intention etc". Are peoples standards so low peopl her any heat? People already think she's a complete clown. Like Duke says, if you want to work the fans, there are so many different ways. Dont shine a spotlight on a massive mistake from years ago by paying money to bring in someone who was the massive mistake.

And the thing is, the reaction that this has got will probably make them change tact and bring Jarrett back or something. And if they do, why didn't they promote it? This whole situation is a mess. Wrestling is about making fans interested and building to a conclusion where the fans are emotionally interested. There is no defense for this shite. Whatever company does it.

Seeing as this seems to be in response to me, my point was that people were saying as though it wasn't intended to be ridiculous - as though it was up there with your big names when clearly everyone knows it isn't. Again, I'm not defending them, though I'm curious as to where this goes next.

Is he going to be allowed in the ring this time? I only ask becasue he is still under contract to the Bengals until 2016, and with the season in full swing surely they are not going to let him go and do pro wrestling during the NFL season, unless he is injured in some way, but then how can he wrestle if he is injured? oh yeah...Because TNA