Match of the Year 2013

Forrest

• Paid Members
John Cena vs CM Punk is a collision that has been done to death, and the biggest match they ever had wasn't even the biggest match John Cena had on PPV in that calendar year. If you're asking to which Cena/Punk match I refer, pick one. The point will stand, whichever one you choose.

Done to death? There's MITB, Summerslam and that Raw match. What else?

Night of Champions. However I agree with you that Cena/Punk hasn't been done to death, not as such. They spaced out the MITB/Summerslam matches from the Night of Champions and then from the Raw match enough I think. But I guess Cena/Punk as a feud has been done plenty at the moment. Although I'd always enjoy watching them wrestle, I wouldn't want to see them feud again for a while.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

As brilliant as they are together in every way, we don't need to see that feud back. Maybe in a couple of years time as a sort of renewal of hostilities thing but certainly not yet.

I dont want to see anymore Cena and Punk matches. They done that a shit load in 2011 and 2012. And they've interacted on so many episodes of Raw and had a million matches. What new spin could you put on the feud?

I think the suggestion from earlier was a good idea, Cena wins the 2014 Rumble with Punk being the last guy eliminated. Cena and Orton main event mania to unify the belts. Have nothing between them from then on, then pick it up in January 2015 with Punk heeling it against Cena because he cost him the chance to main event the 30th WM. We all know that's Punk's last and only remaining goal in WWE, and probably thinks he should have already so why not play off it?

• 2 weeks later...

I added these two to my list cos I thought they were good:

Damien Wayne v. Dirty Money - VCW 10/5

I've seen Wayne before in one of the NWA feds, and while I thought he was decent, he was wrestling as a (sort of) face and I never understood why I would want to cheer him. So I was relieved when he turned full on heel at the opening bell and jumped Money. (I'm also glad he did it because Dirty Money's crowd pandering was getting annoying). Wayne was tremendous in this, busting out cool things like a top rope vertical suplex, a lovely 'Million Dollar' fist drop FROM THE TOP ROPE and some good heated strikes. I LOVED his spaghetti-legged selling of Money's spirited comebacks, and his big pinball bump off of a dropkick was cracking. I've never seen Dirty Money before but he seemed alright as a poor man's Rock/Dusty. The match builds slowly, slowly and Wayne's heel cut-offs are well timed and feel relatively dramatic. The finishing run was great and felt like the closing stretch of a WWE main event style match. Wayne goes to the well once to often with his Savage elbow (better than Punks, natch) as a battered and exhausted Dirty takes advantage. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed the ride a and loved the ending. I'd put it in the top half of the indy shite I've seen this year.

Io Shirai vs. Yoshiko (Stardom 6/2/13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iybAzk6xwfQ

Whenever I try to watch joshi these days I tend to start zoning out after a minute and watch something better instead. For me, the current scene is horrid. The wrestlers are dull and interchangeable, the crowds are depressing and the wrestling itself is like some kinda visual white noise. There is loads of stuff happening at a million miles per hour and nothing means anything. It's a style that started to eat itself a long, long time ago, and, as a result, none of the younger workers have learnt how to build a match properly. I enjoyed this a good bit though. Shirai and Yoshiko have good chemistry and this was a fun powerhouse arsekicker vs highflyer sort of match. It was helped by the fact that it had an actual heat segment and contained a lot of fun offence from Yoshiko. Unlike virtually everyone else in joshi at the minute Yoshiko looks like she'd have no problem getting her hands dirty and fucking you up. Io's not my thing but she's fine at what she does. Her comebacks were well placed and the flippy stuff was crisp and impressive looking. The near falls towards the end felt like they were earned and they never went into overkill. There is a moment near the finish where Yoshiko kicks out of a pin at the count of one and I though the match would descend into a bunch of no-sell forearm exchanging shite . . but no. . Io spin kicks Yoshiko's head off before she even gets to her feet and goes on to finish her for good. There's also a bit in the middle where Yoshiko and the ref get into a tiff (shot to the bollocks!) which I found highly amusing. I've seen Yoshiko a few times and I think she's quite great, especially when compared to all the small, bland, pretty girls that surround her. She's a bit Jr. Hayato which doesn't hurt none.

For the Slammy Awards WWE have given us their pick of the top 4 matches of the year:

Undertaker vs. CM Punk (WrestleMania 29)

John Cena vs. The Rock (WrestleMania 29)

Cody Rhodes & Goldust vs. Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns (Battleground)

Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar (Extreme Rules)

It should be Lesnar and Punk instead of Lesnar HHH and Punk Cena instead of Rock Cena I reckon.

It should be Lesnar and Punk instead of Lesnar HHH and Punk Cena instead of Rock Cena I reckon.

Agreed. But Rock/Cena was their biggest box office match, and Triple H needs his ego sated.

From that list, I'd choose Punk vs Undertaker. It's my #2 behind Punk vs Cena.

Also, the Battleground match being there? :confused: Very good tag match, no doubt, but I wouldn't call it a MOTY candidate. May need to re-watch it.

• Paid Members
But Rock/Cena was their biggest box office match, and Triple H needs his ego sated.

They were never going to have just a list of Shield and Punk matches, they've got different guys in each of those matches and have clearly made an effort to make their big names appear once. The purpose of this is to get fans voting and interacting with their website/app/Twitter account etc, so hence those nominations.

Also, the Battleground match being there? :confused: Very good tag match, no doubt, but I wouldn't call it a MOTY candidate. May need to re-watch it.

It's totally a MOTY candidate.

From that list, Triple H vs Lesnar in the cage by a country mile. The only matches I can think of this year that beat it for me are Cena vs Punk and Cena vs Bryan. I can understand Cena vs Punk not being on the list because Undertaker needs his ego sated, but Cena vs Bryan should have been on there instead of Cena vs Rock.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived