Match of the Year 2013

Forrest

I'm already behind on my CMLL viewing, need to catch up with that tag match for one thing. I have seen Titan/Polvora and it was fun for what it was. The finishing stretch just didn't click right for me, most big CMLL singles matches turn into turn taking but this one just took me out of it a bit. That might be more me than the match though.

Aye, it was nothing brilliant or anything, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it as i'm not putting it forward for moty, but it just came to my head while on the subject of the double hair match. I can't even remember the finish to be honest, I just remember coming away thinking that was a worthwhile 20 minutes or so. That in itself took me by surprise as I never cared much for much of their 374 singles matches last year, and contrary to most of the english-speaking online community, i'm not such a huge fan of Titan, who's being heralded as one of the best things in lucha libre just now. He's pretty good like - certainly way above most of the robots like Angel de Oro, Delta, Diamante etc, but a lot of the hyperbole isn't warranted imo.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Third'd on the Titan/Polvora match, it's fine but if it's in a CMLL top 20 by then end of the year it's been a bad year. Enjoyed the Zavala/Disturbo vs Leono/Blanco as well, haven't seen Zavala for awhile and he looks to have improved.

Watched most of the first 2 weeks of CMLL and it's not been fun. Felino/Niebla/Casas vs Corleone/M

The best match from Wrestle Kingdom 7

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba starts around 8.50

Stiff, heated and has somehow lit a fire under my arse to get watching wrestling again inspite of thinking the whole show was just ok and not the five star wankathon Meltzer claims it to be.

WATCH IT PEOPLE

Ever since I watched bashido as a young nipper, there's always been a part of me that loves this realistic approach to wrestling. Cheers for the link, I enjoyed that.

• 2 weeks later...

So after much anticipation, I've just watched

from last Tuesday, and i'm going to throw it in here because it was ruddy bloody good actually.

Great action, great drama and loads of crazy, spectacular spots. Not without it's faults, but most of those are just symptomatic of the new lucha style in general, rather than anything particularly badly done in the match itself.

Volador's a genuine all time favourite of mine, I've been a big fan since first seeing him in one of those early 2001 PPVs and have followed him closely since. He's great, but I haven't been able to enjoy him half as much this past few years as a rudo, because he's far too flashy and likeable to be one. No worries here though, as he was basically able to do what he does best and work as a straight tecnico. And sure enough, things were all the better for it, especially as he was opposite someone who gets the fact that there's more to being a good rudo than being a good catcher (although he is more than adept at that side of things too).

It will probably be surpassed, and I wish my man Volador won - but if each month has a couple of matches similar to this and the aforementioned double hair match, 2013 should be pretty bright.

An additional observation, and nothing to do with the match, but I really hope attendances start to pick up as as Arena Mexico looks shit with the dimmed lighting. It doesn't help the atmosphere at all.

This is nutty as hell, with the first fall being my favourite. So much stuff to like here, loved the comedy bit with Corleone jumping to be taller than Volador, no matter how many turnbuckles Volador would climb up. Rush comes over as the biggest dick/bad arse ever, casually kicking the shit out of one of the rudo minis in the third fall was absolutely magnificent. Not all shtick though, as there was some fine, if basic wrestling early on, and a ton of mental dives from pretty much everyone. It all seemed really slick, though never seeming choreographed.

I don't see a ton of lucha, so maybe there are lots of CMLL tags like this, but this was the most fun I've had watching it in so long. If I'm being picky, I guess it would have been good to get a payoff to the "Maximo keeps trying to kiss Volador" spots, but that could well come in a later match, and even if not, doesn't really make much of a difference.

Looked to be setting up a pair of hair/mask matches too, which based on this trios match, I'd be very up for watching.

Del Rio and Ziggler put on an absolute cracker on Main Event this week. Possibly the best tv match of the year so far. Definitely up there with Punk v Jericho.

Yeah this was great. Liked ADR's new elbows to the back-backcraker sequence as well as the reverse superplex which you don't see everyday. His bump over the ropes down onto the steel steps is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Can't believe they wasted this guy as a heel for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be very surprised if AAA gets many nods in here (although they are my favourite promotion, as much as CMLL normally produces the goods in the ring) but Argenis/Atomic Boy/Super Fly vs. Billy el Malo/Black Mumbo/Gran Apache is my favourite match of the year so far without a doubt. Maybe it won't hold up by the end of the year but I've watched it twice now and I've loved it both times. It's not so much a match as it is a war (there's a lot of blood at one stage) but while AAA normally has a tendency in these situatiosn to become more weapon based hardcore there was very little of that here. Atomic Boy and Gran Apache are feuding, but I'm sure you can pick that up yourselves. Here's a link to just the match; Argenis, Atomic Boy, S

Yamato v Susumu Yokasuka from last night, DGUK night 2. Awesome match to see live, started off in an almost light hearted fashion than grew with crowd's response into a total balls out strong style match. They will be hurting today.

Seconded. Incredible stuff.

Yamato v Susumu Yokasuka from last night, DGUK night 2. Awesome match to see live, started off in an almost light hearted fashion than grew with crowd's response into a total balls out strong style match. They will be hurting today.

Seconded. Incredible stuff.

That also gets my vote too, match of the weekend and match of the year on UK soil so far, the fact that it upstaged Shingo vs Tozowa says it all.

Andy said at the press conference before the show maybe a new rivalry would be born out of this match to pick up where Shingo and Yokozuka left off and he was spot on. They have to do a rematch next time they come over here.

Archived