Match of the Year 2013

Forrest

Thought I'd do this again as it was quite successful last year. It's pretty much the same as the Post of the Year thread. If you see a really good match, post in here about it so that other people who might not have seen it can judge it's merits too. Even though it didn't happen last year, seconds and thirds are encouraged.

Anyway, my favourite matches of the year so far are probably the CM Punk vs. Ryback - TLC and John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler - Steel Cage matches from Raw a couple of weeks ago.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best match from Wrestle Kingdom 7

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba starts around 8.50

Stiff, heated and has somehow lit a fire under my arse to get watching wrestling again inspite of thinking the whole show was just ok and not the five star wankathon Meltzer claims it to be.

WATCH IT PEOPLE

• Paid Members

Not seen the NJPW Tokyo Dome show yet (I'm in November 2012 with my NJPW viewing), but I thought Jeff Hardy vs. Austin Aries vs. Bobby Roode from TNA Genesis was an excellent match on an otherwise typically pointless TNA PPV. I'm sure it'll be overtaken, but for now it's the best US match I've seen in 2013 so far.

The John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler cage match from Raw was very good too, but you can be sure there'll be at least a dozen better WWE matches by the end of the year.

I've only been to one show and seen something like eight matches in 2013, but so far the Young Bucks vs. El Ligero & Martin Kirby and Bubblegum vs. Sean Maxer from last week's PCW event are tied for my current British match of the year. Long, long way to go, obviously.

I'll post my updated current choices as we go...

Stiff, heated and has somehow lit a fire under my arse to get watching wrestling again inspite of thinking the whole show was just ok and not the five star wankathon Meltzer claims it to be.

WATCH IT PEOPLE

Definitely this one. As good an MMA vs Pro Wrestler match as Lesnar/Cena although totally different.

Ryback vs Punk Tlc and Hardy/Aries/Roode were both good too but will be forgotten by the end of the year.

WATCH IT PEOPLE

Definitely this one. As good an MMA vs Pro Wrestler match as Lesnar/Cena although totally different.

I liked Wrestle Kingdom 7 more than ultimo the great but we're in agreement, this was the best match by far on the show so I'll third this for the reasons already given. A great blend of pro wrestling vs. MMA.

suprised okada v tanahashi aint got a mention on this from wrestle kingdom...

I was disappointed by it, thought it was their worst match together.

--

I'll nominate the Last Man Standing match between The Big Show and Alberto Del Rio (Smackdown, 8th January). WWE has a fine track record in Last Man Standing matches and this was another quality addition to the ranks. Great match.

I thought they were decent but kind of expected more.

Hardy vs Roode vs Aries - Genesis.

Found on YT, hopefully watch later. Will be the first TNA ppv match i'll have watched in around 3 years.

suprised okada v tanahashi aint got a mention on this from wrestle kingdom...

I found that it felt kind of flat after their previous matches and could have done with some new/innovative moments to put it over the edge.

Same here, it just never really got going. Still good just not great.

Watched some of the AJPW 2/1/13 show, nothing i'll remember in 3 months time but fine enough, still have the rumble and Kondo/Yamato (which should be the best match on the show) to watch.

Posted this in the Lucha Libre thread. Not a big time MOTYC or anything, but a really good hairs match between four guys that you may well not have heard of before. Plenty of big bumps, and really aggressive. Dug the finishes to the second and third falls also.

I still have the rumble and Kondo/Yamato (which should be the best match on the show) to watch.

Battle Royal wasn't that great, but Kondo vs Yamoto was pretty good.

The Genesis 3 way was a lot better than I expected. I've not been that impressed with TNA in general since Hogan and Bischoff came in and the in ring product doesn't seem to be as exciting as it once was. So good to see they are still at least having the odd good match, although generally it seems Austin Aries rarely lets you down when it comes to match quality regardless of which company he's worked in. Even if you don't like TNA these days this is worth seeing.

Devitt / Ibushi / Low Ki took a while to really get going but it really came to life towards the end. I know what people mean when they said they expected a bit more from the match but still worth a watch. Anyone have any idea why Low Ki is now wrestling dressed Hitman from the computer game series?

Nakamura vs Sakuraba also seemed to take a while to get going, but when it did it was very intense and hard hitting. It was an interesting MMA / Pro Wrestling hybrid style match, if you liked what Cena and Brock did last year I'd recommend giving this a go, if you didn't care for that style this might not do too much for you.

Some good suggestions so far. :thumbsup:

Posted this in the Lucha Libre thread. Not a big time MOTYC or anything, but a really good hairs match between four guys that you may well not have heard of before. Plenty of big bumps, and really aggressive. Dug the finishes to the second and third falls also.

In the case of Tigre Blanco, that's an awful shame, as he was amazing during his prime and until his injury, but suffered so badly due to the shit TV coverage that CMLL had during the first half of the 2000's. He deserved far more exposure but, as a perennial segunda level wrestler, he, along with a load of others, only ever made TV a fraction of the time he should've. It's pretty sad looking through all of Cubs archives and seeing the shitload of undoubtedly great stuff us lucha fans missed out on from tapings where only the top 2 or 3 matches aired - especially knowing that the whole shows would have been recorded.

Anyways.... aye, good match. Titan/Polvora on the same show was entertaining too, and i'd be surprised if the next two weeks of Reyes Del Aire ciberneticos aren't a lot of fun also.

I'm already behind on my CMLL viewing, need to catch up with that tag match for one thing. I have seen Titan/Polvora and it was fun for what it was. The finishing stretch just didn't click right for me, most big CMLL singles matches turn into turn taking but this one just took me out of it a bit. That might be more me than the match though.

Archived