Match of the Year 2013

Forrest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If anyone ever calls John Cena shit again I will personally glass them.

I laughed out loud at his hurricanrana/self powerbomb. That said, it was an absolutely stellar match, I have no bitterness about the outcome. But I just can't see a way that a Cena-Rock one on one match could eclipse, or even get close what we saw tonight.

Don't really get much time to watch much wrestling at all these days so I can't compare it to other matches this year but I know a great match when I see one so yeah, add me to the Cena - Punk love for that match last night. Absolutely tremendous, gripping stuff. A WrestleMania main event style match.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure there has ever been a match on Raw that has felt more like a big time main event, certainly hasn't been one in a long time.

I think Punk may just be Cena's greatest ever opponent (in terms of artistic quality). Certainly, Cena ALWAYS does his best to make Punk look like a megastar, and is Punk's greatest battle.

Wow.

That really was something special, wasn't it? They should leave that a few years and have a return match as a Wrestlemania main event, based entirely on that match, sort of like Austin v Rock became.

Cena's facial expressions were incredible in that match, in fact both guys told every moment of the story just with their faces and their bodies. That's classic wrestling storytelling.

The only thing that let it down was Raw's goddawful announce team. Can you imagine if that had been called by JR?

• Paid Members

I thought Cole was pretty good, actually. Lawler, though, barely sounds as though he can get a coherent sentence out these days.

I was watching Badd Blood 1997 last night and comparing Lawler then to this week's Raw and the difference is genuinely astonishing. Is it his face turn that solely led to him being so utterly awful these days?

• 8 months later...

It's getting close to that time of year again already ain't it. WWE's had a fantastic year in ring and even though the match quality has dropped a bit in the last few months it still could be considered one of their best years ever. It's a shame the format for Main Event was changed so soon because you used to get one class 15min+ midcarders match every week. There's usually a clear cut winner for me (Brock vs Cena last year, Punk vs Cena MITB year before) but it's hard to separate the quality from the quality this year. At a push I might go with Punk/Brock as MOTY. But then again those pretty chaps in the Bossman outfits done some alright stuff as well.

I've done a list of my favourite matches so I'll dump it here. Sorry for the absolutely shit US date formatting, it's a result of me copying and pasting from various places (the WKO board is a blessing for this nerdery) because I'm quite lazy. The bold ones are my special babies and I may add comments if I can be arsed.

Also;

Has there been any good TNA matches this year? The only one that stands out is that Last women standing match and that wasn't quite on the level. How about non-New Japan Japan? (I will get round to Lucha one day, promise).

And what's YOUR match of the year?

WWE

John Cena vs. CM Punk Raw 2/25/13

John Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs. The Shield, WWE 2/17

William Regal vs. Kassius Ohno, NXT 3/21

CM Punk vs Undertaker , WWE 4/7

Ryback vs. Daniel Bryan, WWE 4/30

Antonio Cesaro vs. Kofi Kingston, WWE 4/30

The Shield vs. Team Hell No and Kofi Kingston, WWE 5/20

Sheamus vs. Antonio Cesaro, WWE 6/5

Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins, WWE 6/10 -

Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto del Rio, WWE 6/16

The Uso's vs. The Shield, WWE 7/14

Antonio Cesaro vs. Daniel Bryan, WWE 7/22

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar, WWE 8/18

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena, WWE 8/18

Antonio Cesaro vs. Sammi Zayn, NXT 7/11

The Shield vs. Daniel Bryan/the Usos/PTPs/R-Truth/RVD/Kofi Kingston/Zack Ryder/Justin Gabriel/Dolph Ziggler, WWE 9/2

Antonio Cesaro vs Santino Marella WWE

The Rhodes Brothers vs. The Shield, WWE 10/6

The Rhodes Brothers vs. The Shield, WWE 10/14

The Real Americans/Damien Sandow vs. The Rhodes Brothers/John Cena, WWE 11/4

Japan

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba NJPW 1/4

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW4/7

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW 8/4

Io Shirai vs. Yoshiko (Stardom 6/2/13)

Indies (pretty much all on youtube. No ROH/Evolve/Dragongate etc. cos they're shite)

Vordell Walker vs. Mike Cruz, Vintage Wrestling 1/19

Timothy Thatcher vs. Jeff Cobb, Supreme Pro Wrestling 2/1

Dean Allmark/James Mason vs. Rampage Brown/Robbie Dynamite ASW 2/22/13

Dean Allmark/James Mason v. Sam Adonis/Rampage Brown - Ladder Match ASW 3/3

James Mason v. Dean Allmark - ASW 10/25

Micky Whiplash vs Robbie Dynamite ICW (?/?)

2 Cold Scorpio vs. Mike Cruz, USA Pro 7/27

Jeremy Wyatt v. Mark Sterling - Metro Pro 7/?

Luke Gallows vs. Jake Davis- Elite Pro 8/9

Timothy Thatcher v. Dylan Drake - Premier Wrestling 9/29

Mikey Whiplash vs John "The Bomb" Graham, SWA (?/?)

Damien Wayne v. Dirty Money - VCW 10/5

• Paid Members

The Shield are the MVPs of the year when it comes to matches, they've had many superb bouts and have helped resurrect tag team wrestling in WWE.

My favourite matches this year (that I can think of):

Punk vs Cena, Raw (date given my butternut squash above)

Shield vs Rhodes Bros, both of them

Punk vs Taker, Wrestlemania

Shield & Wyatt Family vs Bryan, Punk, Usos & Rhodes Bros, Raw this week

Dolph Ziggler vs Del Rio, the one where Del Rio won the title, double turn I think?

Archived