Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

I really think we are hitting an over saturation point with the podcasts now. I went to update my podcast app the other week and three of the updates were lita and all PodcastOne guys. It's actually got to the point where I've gone from two or three wrestling podcasts a day to three or four a week and back to non wrestling ones like Joe Rogan. I think maybe I just listened to too many in the run up to Mania.

Austin's is still great for me even when he doesn't have a guest. I can tolerate Jericho if he's got a wrestling guest on. JR can fuck off. He's the worst. Talks over everybody.

Piper's jumped on the podcast bandwagon now. Anyone given him a listen yet? I can only imagine it'll be a total car crash.

To be fair, he was one of the first in it. He was podcasting before it took off with the Rod Pod, if you can still hunt it down, there was a cracking episode with Bret Hart.

Anyway, I listened to his two episodes out and it's not very good. He tells some entertaining stories, but I question how legit his words are. For instance, he says that when Kevin Nash speaks about hitting him it's BS, and in fact Piper took him out by the legs. I dunno, Piper was fucked in the late 90's and Nash was for all purposes, a brick shit house compared to him. I have a hard time believing Piper would be capable of taking Nash out then.

The whole thing is pretty self fart smelling IMO. It's a shame, because Piper really is one of the all time great wrestling stars. He's one of the reasons I got into wrestling. But these days, as I've been saying for a couple of years now, he's just a bit odd. One of his (ass kissing which is a big turn off) co hosts for example stated that the best moment of Wrestlemania 30 was Piper and T shaking hands. I mean, bloody hell. It was an outrageous claim that Piper should have shot down considering that there was so much greatness on the card. It was a nice little backstage segment, but Piper and T shaking hands wasn't even the best thing about it, that honour goes to Paul Ordorff's facial hair.

Similarly, in speaking about Warriors statement at the Hall of Fame that there were only very few legit tough men in wrestling, the co host insisted that one of those was Piper. Piper just went with it. Somehow I don't think the likes of Roddy Piper was whom Warrior had in mind when he made that comment, and the fact that he didn't get it was sad.

• Paid Members

I only listen to Austin's podcast when it comes to any wrestler hosting deal. He's hilarious, and I just enjoy listening to him. His insistence on bringing up how much of a kick he got out of the Missy Hyatt/Dark Journey feud cracks me up. THE GOD DAMN LOADED GUCCI BAG!!!

Besides that all I listen to is Where the Big Boys Play because they last for ages and it passes time in work, OSW Review, Review A Wai and the really funny Attitude Era Podcast.

Edited by WWFChilli

• Paid Members

I actually didn't mind Piper's first couple of episodes. Thought it would be a total clusterfuck, but I managed to sit through a couple of hours of it at work this morning. Sure, the stories reek of bullshit and his co-host is an arse-licker but the very fact that he has a co-host is a plus. The show has a more relaxed, conversational style because of it and because it's Piper, you know to take the ridiculous comments with a pinch of salt. He's a living gimmick, still living in Kayfabe land. All in all, it was better than a lot of JR or Jericho's recent efforts so I will probably listen again when he has wrestling guests on.

• Awards Moderator

Heyman is on Austin's latest. Not quite sure why it's on the clean feed as there's cussing, F-bombs, discussing drug-taking all over the place.

He is as you might expect brilliant to listen to. I especially enjoyed his story of getting fired up to take on ECW by Crockett. And his impressions crack me up, particularly the Billy Graham. The only downside is it was recorded before WrestleMania so you don't quite get the full insight on recent events you would hope for.

He goads Austin into admitting Stone Cold wants another match... nearly. Ever the promoter, that guy :)

I've just downloaded a load of Steve Austin's podcasts to work my way through. Must say, I just downloaded the ones where he has a guest on who interests me. Currently listening to the Shawn Michaels one which is episode 2

• Paid Members
I've just downloaded a load of Steve Austin's podcasts to work my way through. Must say, I just downloaded the ones where he has a guest on who interests me. Currently listening to the Shawn Michaels one which is episode 2

Most of Austin's are good - mainly when he has a good guest on. Nash & Hall are hilarious. Chael is good too, as is HBK. Meltzer was on one week too, and Austin was asking him questions which was a good perspective.

I enjoy Austin's for the most part. Jericho's is tiring now, Colt is stuck with the dud/leftover guests, and Jim Ross's is just shit.

Jim Cornette's is probably my favourite though, besides Observer Radio (which isn't really a podcast as such). Especially when he has Bolin on - such a carny. Hilarious chemistry between them.

• Paid Members
Piper is a legit hardcase, though. His matches were the only ones that were real and he never lost. That takes some doing.

I was listening to a short clip, probably off a podcast, of Piper talking about his backstage confrontation with Kevin Nash from WCW. I'd heard Nash's version of the story in his RF shoot, but Piper reckons he just double-legged Nash and "threw him out the dressing room". Piper must've been mid 40s at that time, and had the artificial hip. Yet he's so hard he can just casually chuck 7ft blokes, who are a decade younger than him and probably a good 60lbs heavier than him, through doors.

Fuck, just checked their ages. Nash is only five years younger than Piper.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

He never lets people tell stories. During the Jake one especially he kept trying to jump in and interject when Jake was trying to talk and he did it several times at the same point even when Jake wasn't finished. His has potential if he can wind stuff like that in. Seemingly enjoys the sound of his own voice.