Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

The bit where Austin is about to ask about showing up in WCW under Watts and Regal cuts in with "What was all that about when me and you, when we used to just stand about and scream obscenities at each other, when did that start?" caught me off guard when I was listening to this at work, I blurt-laughed like a twat. I love Regal interviews, he seems like such a great person. The lack of bitterness, his humility and comic turn of phrase just make them a joy. I really wish I'd have gone to that talk he did over here now. I pray he does another.

• Moderators
I listened to part one of Regal today. You're all right, he's a smooth talker you could listen too for hours.Interesting stories on everything and I found it nice that Steve Austin, a guy he knows well and spent a hell of a lot of time with, obviously stills gets a kick out of sitting down and listening to the guy. He just let him speak.

Dunno when it was recorded but to be nitpicky, Regal said Greg Dyke is the head of the BBC which is obviously not the case now.

Austin referring to people as "cats" grates me a bit. Still, nice to know Dude Love rubbed off on him.

Just me or does Regal have brummie twang at times?

He's originally from Sutton Coldfield or somewhere like that.

• Moderators
The bit where Austin is about to ask about showing up in WCW under Watts and Regal cuts in with "What was all that about when me and you, when we used to just stand about and scream obscenities at each other, when did that start?" caught me off guard when I was listening to this at work, I blurt-laughed like a twat. I love Regal interviews, he seems like such a great person. The lack of bitterness, his humility and comic turn of phrase just make them a joy. I really wish I'd have gone to that talk he did over here now. I pray he does another.

The story he told at it of Dave Taylor tormenting Michael Crawford screaming "OOH BETTY!" Was a joy. Also the story of Dave Taylor asking a terminal child what he wanted to do when he grew up. Actually, any Dave Taylor story.

Codsall Wood, about halfway between Wolverhampton and Telford. Strange voice on him at times, though. He seemed to be going for a strong northern accent in that "before they were famous" video they did of him going round Blackpool a decade or so back.

I listened to part one of Regal today. You're all right, he's a smooth talker you could listen too for hours.Interesting stories on everything and I found it nice that Steve Austin, a guy he knows well and spent a hell of a lot of time with, obviously stills gets a kick out of sitting down and listening to the guy. He just let him speak.

Dunno when it was recorded but to be nitpicky, Regal said Greg Dyke is the head of the BBC which is obviously not the case now.

Austin referring to people as "cats" grates me a bit. Still, nice to know Dude Love rubbed off on him.

Probs just Regal not being up to scratch with whats going on this side of the pond...Am I correct in saying he is in charge of the FA now?

• Paid Members

Codsall Wood, about halfway between Wolverhampton and Telford. Strange voice on him at times, though. He seemed to be going for a strong northern accent in that "before they were famous" video they did of him going round Blackpool a decade or so back.

Cheers both. I listened to the second Regal one last night and he mentions going to concerts in and around Birmingham. The accent is much more noticable in that one. Feel daft as I've read his book and I still always believed he was from the North West.

Probs just Regal not being up to scratch with whats going on this side of the pond...Am I correct in saying he is in charge of the FA now?

Regal? No. That would be fucking awesome though. He'd make Tajiri England manager. He could re-shoot that brilliant Hulkamania promo with Germany memorabilia.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Dutch Mantel's interview was awesome on the Steve Austin show. Start to finish is brilliant. Didn't know Zeb was Undertaker's best man at one of his weddings. Amazing considering the effect he'd had on the careers of some of the WWF's biggest names (Austin, Undertaker, Kane etc.), that he never had a job for years and years. He doesn't say it on this, but Dutch said on his shoot interview that Bret Hart got him sacked as a road agent in the mid-90s because "he'd never worked in the big leagues". Madness considering how much respect he has from pretty much everyone.

Delighted for all his success in the last year. He's a great man. I remember when he left TNA, he was hussling like fuck to get his books sold and wasn't really in demand on the indies because not many people had a clue who he was. Now my niece knows who he is. He's more famous than ever. Glad to see he's apart of the culture. Hoping he gets a long run out of it. Always seemed a genuine bloke. Dutch being in TNA for years and they didn't use him as a character is unreal looking back. He'd have been up there with their best promos. He'd have been great when Abyss was first starting. Abyss could have been the Leatherface and Dutch could have been the weird old grandpa sending his charge after the babyfaces.

Just for all those people who have Ian on ignore - don't miss this recommendation.

Sat wondering which Austin podcast to listen too next and remembered Ian's post. He's right, it's an excellent listen. I've heard the name Dutch Mantell a million times down the years and never really given enough of a shit to go and associate the name with a face. Until he turned up in WWE again, I didn't know Uncle Zebakiah was Dutch Mantell. Fucking ignorance.

He's as good a promo on the podcast as he is on TV. Almost remarkable to hear him say he doesn't like interviews because I've rarely heard anyone more at ease.

Once a worker, always a worker though. Once Austin starts talking about Swagger & Cesaro, he's in work mode. Brilliant.

Bret Hart had Dirty Dutch fired? What a cunt!

• 3 weeks later...

Weeks later, I also recommend Uncle Zebs podcast.

Also just to let you all know Buff Bagwell is on Art Of Wrestling this week. Just listened to Cornettes chat with Lisa Marie Baron/ Victoria/ Tara and she seems really cool. Cornettes rant about Kurt Cobain is just fucking stupid though. Some rather inept ignorance to depression from Jim and the always awful Alice Radley. I gave up on Cornettes podcast weeks ago but thought I'd give this a go because I love Victoria.

• Paid Members

Chris Nowinski was really interesting on Jericho's show.

Bagwell was entertaining on AOW.

Austin's recent efforts have just been him speaking into a microphone for the sake of it, talking bollocks. It's still the most entertaining podcast out there but I'm looking forward to him getting some good guests in again.

• Paid Members

Good Ol' JR comes over creepy as fuck in his chat with Lita. Within about the first thirty seconds of their conversation he makes a weird joke about fourteen year olds wanking over her back in the day. He seems to have a bit of a habit of not understanding what people are saying and talking over them too.

Furthermore, out of nowhere and without warning he drops a massive True Detective spoiler (for those watching at UK TV pace like me) into the conversation, which pissed me off enormously.

I'm well on board with the hate for the puppy-killing pervert now.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• Paid Members

JR's exposed himself as another Jim Cornette since he left the WWE. He's all over the shop, telling the same shit stories, acting as if his way is the only way and generally coming over as a bit backward. He's caught the bug for people on the internet telling him out great he is. Whether its MLW or the Law or Cornette or Austin or WOR he is on every podcast sometimes multiple times. He even popped up on Opie and Anthony. He needs step back a bit. He's never off the internet.

EDIT: Christ, he's actually live on WOR as I type.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay