Monday Night Raw Discussion 11/11/12

Adam619

The saving grace at the moment is the tag division - and they showed they're committed to it for the time being at least with Kidd and Gabriel getting the duke. Seven or eight proper teams now. Guess they have to fill that TV time somehow!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a saving grace when none of the teams besides the champs really do anything besides fill time. Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara fight the Prime Time Players every week in some form, with someone backstage flipping a coin to decide who wins and none of the results mattering.

• Paid Members
800,000 viewers turned off when the heart attack angle was going on. Not before or after. During. Like as they were doing it.

Surely that must be some kind of record, at least in terms of averages? What was the final rating? That's staggering but I'm glad that size portion of the fanbase felt inclined to do the same thing and switch off.

The saving grace at the moment is the tag division - and they showed they're committed to it for the time being at least with Kidd and Gabriel getting the duke. Seven or eight proper teams now. Guess they have to fill that TV time somehow!

Ok. With the exception of maybe the Prime Time Players, who are the other teams who make up the division?

Rey/Sin Cara

Gabriel/Kidd (occasionally recently anyway)

Rhodes Scholars

Team Hell No

Primo/Epico

Usos

3MB

Kofi/Truth (broken up now I guess)

Teddy Long/Tag Team matches

It's not in great shape really. They're giving it a vague shot, and Team Hell No and Rhodes Scholars are very good, but there's hardly what I'd call depth.

It's not a saving grace when none of the teams besides the champs really do anything besides fill time. Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara fight the Prime Time Players every week in some form, with someone backstage flipping a coin to decide who wins and none of the results mattering.

You could say this about almost everyone on the show not named John Cena, Ryback or CM Punk.

Punk is clearly better as a heel, but this has been a pretty shit heel run so far. Compared to the Straight Edge Society and the Jeff Hardy feud, this run comes off as nothing.

He's not really done much, that's the problem. SES was pretty edgy, and the Hardy stuff was good and personal, but this heel run hasn't really had an edge to it. 'Best in the World!' and a long title run, with a few little heelish things added in that no one gives a shit about.

• Paid Members
Could be worse. 1996's tag team scene was awful.

Godwins

Body Donna's

Smoking Gunns

????

Owen & Bulldog

New Rockers

Furnas & LaFon

Fake Razor & Diesel

And very occasionally the mega team of Shawn Michaels & Ahmed Johnson.

It wasn't great but they were all proper teams (Michaels/Ahmed aside), mostly with matching ring attire, team names, pretty heavily featured etc. And the added bonus of mid 90s Sunny to look at if the match was shite because she seemingly managed every team going at some point at the time.

Punk is clearly better as a heel, but this has been a pretty shit heel run so far. Compared to the Straight Edge Society and the Jeff Hardy feud, this run comes off as nothing.

He's not really done much, that's the problem. SES was pretty edgy, and the Hardy stuff was good and personal, but this heel run hasn't really had an edge to it. 'Best in the World!' and a long title run, with a few little heelish things added in that no one gives a shit about.

I think this ties into the whole 'treading water until the Rock shows up' thing. When that feud kicks off I assume they'll let Punk start making the insider references and voice his dissatisfaction with Dwayne. Not saying that is necessarily a good thing, but will provide some interesting TV as long as it is not over done. Hopefully it will give the character the edge that has been missing.

But they'll probably drill it into the ground with "HA HA you were in Disney movies" every week and I'll get bored.

I think this ties into the whole 'treading water until the Rock shows up' thing. When that feud kicks off I assume they'll let Punk start making the insider references and voice his dissatisfaction with Dwayne. Not saying that is necessarily a good thing, but will provide some interesting TV as long as it is not over done. Hopefully it will give the character the edge that has been missing.

But they'll probably drill it into the ground with "HA HA you were in Disney movies" every week and I'll get bored.

More than likely. It's certainly all felt like filler since the actual turn. As you say, the target of his turn hasn't even been around..

• Paid Members
And very occasionally the mega team of Shawn Michaels & Ahmed Johnson.

By very occasionally, I'm afraid you mean just the once. One match as a tag team, challenging the Gunns. Yes, even in 1996 you could get a tag title shot just by being big-name singles wrestlers. Screw rankings and win-loss records.

• Paid Members
Rey/Sin Cara

Gabriel/Kidd (occasionally recently anyway)

Rhodes Scholars

Team Hell No

Primo/Epico

Usos

3MB

Kofi/Truth (broken up now I guess)

Teddy Long/Tag Team matches

It's not in great shape really. They're giving it a vague shot, and Team Hell No and Rhodes Scholars are very good, but there's hardly what I'd call depth.

Ta. See, this just completely dispells this post -

The saving grace at the moment is the tag division - and they showed they're committed to it for the time being at least with Kidd and Gabriel getting the duke. Seven or eight proper teams now.

Apart from Prime Time players, the rest are either just a bunch of singles wrestlers thrown together because they have nothing better to do with them, or jobbers like the Usos and the Colon brothers. It's pretty shit. Not bad for a "Saving Grace" as Ash called it.

Archived