UFC 154: 'St Pierre vs Condit'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GSP's reply to Rogan's questioning was almost word-for-word what I thought he would say. He's like that hot girl that keeps stringing you along, making you think you have a chance, giving non-committal answers, because he's too nice to break your heart by saying "no".

Onto the show:

Unfortunately missed the Facebook prelims due to family commitments, but I scored awesomely in the prediction league by getting winner, method and time correct for all 3 :D

The FX prelims were pretty fun, even though they attracted some boos from the Montreal crowd. Carvalho vs. Damm was an interesting tactical battle, Damm's leg really got picked apart. Makdessi was impressive and clearly improving aspects of his game, which is a dangerous thing when he's so good already.

Diabate handled Griggs with ease... I don't know what Griggs was thinking strategy-wise, he came out swinging like it was a drunken bar fight, and quickly paid for it with a great mix of striking and grappling technique. It really shows how far the sport has evolved past the bar brawler types of the early UFC. Hard to know if they'll give Griggs another chance, he looked terrible in this fight but I think he deserves some credit for getting himself into shape to make 205.

Cote vs. Sakara was a really explosive minute of striking, slightly reminiscent for me of Cerrone vs. Guillard. Shame about the DQ ending though, and nice to hear that Cote wants a rematch to do it properly. It might make a nice prelim fight on FOX 6. The MMATorch review slammed the referee for not noticing or warning Sakara about the shots to the back of the head, but I could have sworn I heard Big Dan say, "Watch the back of the head," but Sakara was locked into his finishing flurry and quickly put Cote out.

The main card seemed fairly mundane for me. I missed the first half of Hominick vs. Garza and came in to watch Garza stifle Hominick for a round and a half. That's 4 straight losses, that means you're gone for sure (unless you're Dan Hardy). I enjoyed dos Anjos' ability to out-grapple Bocek, because it's not something I recall seeing before. Dos Anjos is definitely emerging as a legitimate LW contender now, I'd probably give him the Guillard-Varner winner. Carmont vs. Lawlor was especially dull, which surprised me a bit considering how dynamic Carmont was last time out against Vemola, but Lawlor was determined to make it an ugly fight. Don't know if I agree with the decision, Lawlor was pressing the fight, but neither really ran away with the victory in any fashion, so accounting for hometown bias it's not the worst decision I've ever seen (plus an extra 5 points in predictions helps).

Like you said, Wand, the card really picked up for the co-main and main events. Hendricks is a funny one. He has tremendous power and has delivered a couple of highlight reel finishes now, but if he doesn't connect early his fights tend to be dull as fuck. Also, he doesn't seem that marketable, you'd think he'd be perceived as a bit of a star after beating Fitch, Koscheck and now Kampmann. It's hard for me to imagine a marquee of GSP vs. Johny Hendricks. Maybe it's in the spelling. GSP vs. Johnny Hendrix seems a bit more dynamic.

I loved GSP vs. Condit. Another decision win for Georges, yes, but this was a hard fought war rather than coasting domination. I think the first 2 rounds showed, unequivocally, that GSP was at 100%, and perhaps even better than previously. I can't recall a GSP opponent looking as visibly damaged as Condit did at the end of the first round. With all that, it made Condit's hope spot all the more dramatic, as the way the fight played out, it was clear that Condit wasn't beating on a vulnerable GSP, but perhaps the best GSP to date. GSP spent a lot of time in top position, but it was never dull point scoring, he was looking for openings and attacking whenever he could. Condit was pretty dynamic in his own right from his back, I think a lot of those submission attempts would have worked on a lesser fighter than Georges. Fantastic fight.

Some might be disappointed that GSP vs. Silva isn't happening, but that particular "super fight" doesn't really appeal to me. Based on their last fights, they're separated by two weight classes. Silva vs. Jones is where it's at, only one weight class apart and Silva has already proved himself at Jones' weight. GSP is too scared to go outside his comfort zone, that's basically what it boils down to. I respect GSP's accomplishments and skills as a fighter, but he refuses to take a fight where he feels his opponent might have an advantage over him. Other fighters would relish that challenge. Anderson has fought at 205, Jones has spoke about his eventual move to HW, BJ Penn has fought just about every weight. For that, I personally value those fighters above GSP in the GOAT conversation, but there's no question GSP is the greatest welterweight of all time. He seems content with that distinction, as he should be, it's a great accolade.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an excellent main event. A little bit gutted for Condit, as he's such a nice guy, and a great fighter to watch, glad the crowd were respectful at the end.

For me, I wouldn't be that disappointed if we don't get GSP vs Silva. I think I would rather see Silva vs Jones, and watch GSP dominate the welterweights for a while longer, as there are plenty of challengers there.

Dana is still saying GSP vs Silva in May. I would love to see a stadium show if it happens.

• Paid Members

Condit really gave a good account of himself, GSP hasn't looked that banged up for a hell of a long time. My heart was in my mouth when that kick landed and credit to Georges for gutting through it. A really good fight overall. I was glad they didn't march Anderson into the Octagon at the end too, it would have been so disrespectful. I believe GSP wants no part of it.

Hendricks really shocked me as I was expecting Kampmann's all round game to seal out a decision. Hendricks deserves the shot IMO. I'd like to see Diaz/Kampmann in the new year if they don't go with a Diaz/Condit rematch.

Some decent stuff on the prelims and I really enjoyed Hominick/Garza. Sakara/Cote was looking to be something crazy before the end sequence. Dan Miragliotta continues to show the world he's a crap ref. Phillippe Chartier threw his hat into the mix a few times too.

Pablo Garza has mad skillz

pg1_medium.gif

Edit-

And this...

nick diaz ‏@nickdiaz209

I am not impressed by your performance @GeorgesStPierre

Diaz is a joke. Unless someone is willing to stand directly in front of him and throw punches he spits the dummy. Both St-Pierre and Condit beat him eight out of ten times, simply because they're both far more intelligent than him or his team.

Anyway, onto relevant matters, what a main event! That kind of fight is exactly why I watch MMA. The legit top two guys in the division going at it, in a real competitive fight. Fuck all of the fake trash talking beforehand, I prefer guys who can actually back up their claims of being the best in the world.

Two classy sportsmen putting on one hell of a show. Superb.

As for the rest of the card, I know it maybe wasn't the best, but I enjoyed it all the same. I feel that every fight, unless it's ridiculously boring or a mismatch, has its own little story to tell.

Only watched the last 2 fights so can't comment on the rest of the card but have to say that is the best GSP fight since the Jon Fitch fight 4(??) years ago. He looked a lot stronger than before and didn't seem to have lost a step. The one question over his head since the Serra fight is how he'd react after getting hurt and he answered that in style last night. He took the headkick and punches and didn't panic. Credit to Condit who fought his heart out, was never out of the fight and wasn't over awed.

Yeah, fuck Nick Diaz. He was shown up once he stepped up in competition and his run in Strikeforce seems to have given him ideas above his station. He can talk all he wants but if he comes back from his suspension I hope Hendricks fucks him up. I don't think he has a prayer against GSP, his sub defence is too good and the Diaz boys struggle against decent wrestlers and GSP has the best takedowns in MMA.

I'm willing to believe that once St-Pierre sits down with Greg Jackson and looks back at his fight with Condit, and sees how tough he found it against a guy who's probably big enough at 6'2 to make the move to 185lbs if he wanted to, he'll not go for the fight with Anderson.

St-Pierre is under six feet tall, and is already looking huge at 170lbs, so he's not going to be able to get much bigger and be able to retain his speed and agility. Anderson meanwhile has shown that he can easily compete at 205lbs without any problems.

St-Pierre would be terribly undersized, and to take your first fight at 185lbs or whatever it is against the top guy in the division would be ridiculous.

I'm already looking forward to seeing St-Pierre defend his strap against Johny Hendricks. That's the fight for him, and Hendricks certainly deserves it. Let Anderson fight Jon Jones if he wants a superfight. He won't though, mainly for the same reasons why St-Pierre shouldn't fight him.

• Paid Members

Personally, I'm much more enthusiastic for Diaz v GSP than Silva v GSP. I'd much rather they do Jones v Silva, now.

Anyway, GSP was more dominant than I expected. The biggest surprise was how explosive his wrestling still is, given his injury. I honestly thought Condit looked outclassed for most of the fight, even after catching GSP he couldn't assert any proper dominance.

• Paid Members

I don't get why so many people are saying they're not arsed about GSP vs Anderson because of the size difference yet they want Anderson vs Jones even though the same thing applies there.

Why would anyone not want to see the 2 most dominant champions ever in MMA, who are close enough in weight to make the fight a reality, fight each other?

Hendricks has absolutely earned his shot but fights like GSP vs Anderson come along very rarely. Its been talked about for 4 years now. The type of fight that could fill a stadium. As interesting as GSP vs Hendricks is, try filling a stadium with that. The UFC would be foolish to not try to make GSP vs Anderson. If they want to put on a massive fight that will make money it's a no-brainer. The Hendricks fight will still be there afterwards.

Doing GSP vs Hendricks instead of Anderson now would be like when we were supposed to get Pacquiao vs Mayweather in 2010 and got Pacquiao vs Josh Clottey instead.

GSP doesn't want it anyway so it doesn't matter I guess.

I don't get why so many people are saying they're not arsed about GSP vs Anderson because of the size difference yet they want Anderson vs Jones even though the same thing applies there.

Anderson has fought at 205lbs on more than one occasion though, hasn't he? St-Pierre hasn't fought above 170lbs before, so asking him to do so, especially when he looks so big at 170lbs is a bit of a stretch.

Anderson has the frame that can fill out to 205lbs, whilst I feel that St-Pierre would have trouble putting on the weight.

My thoughts

This was the most exciting GSP fight since when he first won the title in 2006.

The atmosphere was electric and even watching on TV you could feel it.

GSP looked sharp early, connecting with that left jab he pawned Kos with. I felt Condit was trying to be too fancy, as GSP countered a attempted front kick by simply socking him in the chin.

GSP went to work in the first two rounds and did a lot of damage with elbows, he attacked with more aggression than he has done in years. The came the third. I finally got why Condit was being so fancy, to try and set up something big by being unpredictable, the way he set up that high kick was as nasty and technically sound as when Mike Tyson used to dip under and uppercut foes in his prime, it was a deadly combo of power and accuracy.

Condit jumped on him like he needed to do, GSP proved me wrong he has a lot more heart than I thought, absorbing Condit's GNP and managing to scramble. He even came back to control the round with lighting fast hand speed to set up a takedown, he weathered a storm and did not fold, only certain fighters can do that.

GSP controlled the last two rounds, Condit was active from the bottom and did everything in his power to win with attempted subs and constant punching. He did more to raise his stock last night than the Diaz fight in my view, he did nothing wrong he was just fighting the best Welterweight ever. He took a lot of heavy shots and GSP never looked that close to subbing him. Condit is a warrior.

This was a fight, not a point scoring contest that GSP fight with Shields turned into. Both men should be very proud.

GSP balking at Anderson is no big shock, Anderson clearly wants the fight more. GSP is a good boxer with good hand speed, movement and diversity, but he would not last 5 mins with Anderson striking. I cannot see GSP being able to keep Anderson down long and consistent enough to keep Anderson at bay.

Even if he wins a round or two, I still see Anderson being able to catch him in the 25 mins their fight would be. It would only take one flurry or exchange, it would take GSP 25 mins of control against a man who just stuffed takedowns from a much bigger wrestler (Sonnen). I cannot see GSP subbing Anderson either, if he cannot sub Condit who Anderson is I would say a tad better on the ground than (not by much though)

Elsewhere, Hendricks is a beast and after that performance the biggest threat at WW to GSP since Alves. That power mixed with decent wrestling could spell danger. Kampmann did invite Hendricks in with his stance that leaved his chin up and standing right in front of him mind, but still Hendricks put him out cold, something Alves and Ellenberger could not do. Even Paul Daley could only stun him for a stoppage.

Dos Anjos has improved a lot, I look forward to seeing him again.

Overall the show was well worth watching. I look forward to the FOX show.

• Paid Members
I'd like to see Diaz/Kampmann in the new year if they don't go with a Diaz/Condit rematch.

Diaz vs Kampmann would be tremendous. I've wanted to see that for a while now.

There's some great options for Diaz's return fight. Kampmann is one, a Condit rematch is another. There's Koscheck. And Hardy.

Condit or Kampmann would be my picks.

I think Hardy will end up fighting Matt Riddle next. Riddle was talking about fighting Hardy months ago and he's been even more vocal about it here...

and here...

I like it.

Speaking of Riddle...

Teh_Kick_medium.gif

He (rightly) paid homage to Owen Hart for that in the second link above.

Couple more gifs to add to the Tom Lawlor collection;

ftl_1_medium.gif

ftl_2_medium.gif

And of course the already posted Garza JCVD tribute kick that missed as well.

Anderson has fought at 205lbs on more than one occasion though, hasn't he? St-Pierre hasn't fought above 170lbs before, so asking him to do so, especially when he looks so big at 170lbs is a bit of a stretch.

Anderson has the frame that can fill out to 205lbs, whilst I feel that St-Pierre would have trouble putting on the weight.

It's the very fact he looks so big at 170 that makes me think he wouldn't be overwhelmed at 185. And the fight wouldn't even be at 185 would it. It's meant to be a catchweight of 177/78 from what I'm reading which is fair to both parties. In fact if Anderson is so massive then surely it would be harder for him to sweat off the extra 7 or 8 pounds than it would for GSP to make the weight simply by not having to cut quite so much weight.

Now GSP is changing the goal posts again by saying "Well Anderson was fighting at 168 not too long ago so maybe he can make the weight". The "not too long ago" in this case would be 2004ish. 8 fucking years ago. To put that in perspective that's the year a rookie GSP was getting armbarred by Matt Hughes and was thought of as no more than a prospect. It's also the year Anderson got flying leg scissored by Ryo Chonan in Pride and resembled nothing of the MMAlien he is today.

GSP knows good and well Anderson is not going to be making the drop to 170, despite him entertaining the idea in the past. He's 37 years old. People go on like Anderson's some giant, he is a good sized 185 yeah. And he doesn't look dwarved at 205 but he makes 185 easily. It's not like he shows up at weigh ins looking depleted and gaunt. He's not a massive middleweight.

I don't mean any of this to knock GSP. He's one of the best fighters in the history of MMA and a fantastic ambassador for the sport. His fighting style hasn't always been my personal cup of tea but this Condit fight was excellent and I'm hoping it was just a case of him losing a bit of hunger in his previous fights.

At the end of the day I guess I'd just rather GSP say he's happy at 170 and will never fight Anderson if that's the truth. Rather than being the little tease he is by leaving the door ever so slightly ajar and keeping hopes raised. I truly believe he wants no part of Anderson and if that's the case fair enough, but enough with the "maybe one day I will" stuff.

And because these haven't been posted yet...

hendricks-kampmann.gif

knockouts_Carlos_Condit_Head_Kicks_Georges_St_Pierre_UFC_154.gif

cc2_medium.gif

Condit is a fucking rabid dog. I hope now people move past this 'Natural Born Runner' bollocks. Condit is the shit.

Does anyone here seriously believe that Anderson, who competes at 185lbs, and has dominated guys at 205lbs, would have trouble beating a much smaller man? I don't.

Anderson is touted as the very best in the world, not St-Pierre, so it makes more sense for him to face Jon Jones. That's the fight I want to see.

• Paid Members

Agreed. It's a no brainer for me too. In my eyes, Anderson beats GSP even before you take into account the size difference. GSP doesn't want it, but it's hard for him to say it without looking like he's scared in the majority of people's eyes. He's obviously happy at 170, and now there is fresh meat in the form of Hendricks, plus Nick Diaz is still lurking in the shadows.

Bones/Silva would be better IMO.

Archived