UFC 154: 'St Pierre vs Condit'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He was correct to a point though. How quickly could that guy react to a knock out blow? Could he get across the cage quickly enough to stop another three or four needless strikes being thrown? In shape officials find it tough enough to do that at the best of times.

He may not have went about it the right way, but I agree with what he said pretty much.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh but he also makes a ridiculous statement about the guy not being able to legit get in there and muscle guys apart...outside of perhaps 2 or 3 refs none of them can lay claim to being able to do that.

The guy wasn't even that fat!

Tom-Lawlor-vs-Francis-Carmont-6-630x419.png

The truth is, as soon as an official, be it a 265lbs big Dan or a 170lbs Yves Lavigne touches you and yells for the fight to stop, you stop. It has nothing to do with muscling people apart, and more to do with being able to move quickly enough to make the call.

• Paid Members

that was Rogan's way of explaining it though.

Do you genuinely think that guy would be slower on getting in to stop a fight than anyone else, they are like 5 feet from the figthers at most during a fight. The comment was wrong end of.

• Paid Members

The latest from GSP concerning the Silva fight, from this week's Observer:

St-Pierre, appearing on "Tout Le Monde en Parle" on 11/25, a Montreal talk show, gave his first detailed talks about a fight with Silva. In comments translated into English by Ariel Helwani, he said: "This fight is the cherry on the sundae. He wants to fight me so he can then retire. I would like to fight him too, but after I fight him and win the fight, what happens next? These days, yeah, there's a lot of money to be made, but I don't fight for the money. My motivation is to be the bet. Like we said, to be the Wayne Gretzsky of my sport. So if I fight him, what happens next? It will be over. So yes, I want the fight, but I want to take it when I decide the time is right, not when he wants the fight to happen.

"On top of that, he weighs 234 pounds. I weigh 188. So there's a big weight difference. I've fought guys who were bigger. I'm not scared of him. It's just that I will take this fight when it makes sense for me. I just came back from an injury. There's money to be made. There are fights in my weight class, other challenges out there. And if I fight him, I will have to gain weight, while he will have to lose weight. And then afterwards, I won't be able to come back to my weight class. First and foremost, I have things to do at 170 pounds. When I am ready and when I want the fight, that's when it will happen."

It's going to take A LOT of money to make him take this fight, isn't it?

It's also noted that preliminary buyrate estimates have this show at around 680,000 to 700,000 buys, which is low for a GSP fight.

• Paid Members
Dana said at the press conference the other day that they did good on PPV for this show, it'll be more closer to Jim's figure than Supremo's IMO.

Here's the article

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/29/3702...00-buys-for-ufc

680 - 700k is still big numbers in comparison to other PPV's this year outside of SIlva/Sonnen 2

If that number is accurate, then it will be 2nd or 3rdt highest for the year behind Sonnen vs Silva 2 about on par Jones vs Rashad.

As he drew the number of his own back as Condit is not a big star, I would say he is still the single biggest draw in the UFC. Both Jones and Anderson had help from Rashad and Sonnen, when put with Belfort and Bonnar they both did 400k.

GSP with a name like Diaz would do close to a million.

• Paid Members

While we're on the subject of GSP, Firas Zahabi quote on who the #1 contender is at 170...

"I think Diaz is the guy who deserves it most," Zahabi said. "His fight with Carlos (Condit) was so close. Who knows? People judge it both ways.

"[Diaz is] the guy who is the Strikeforce champion. He climbed up the ladder all the way. Johny deserves it very much, but Diaz has been there longer and done more fights and has bigger wins.

"If you want to be really fair about it, he is the guy who beat the most amount of names in the biggest fights."

Hmmm, as much as I want to see it I don't think Diaz deserves the shot more than Hendricks. This is different to the Jones/Sonnen case because Jones was injured and there were no other obvious challengers. At 170, it's hard to argue against a guy who's KO'd 2 legit top contenders in under a minute combined.

Either way I want to see GSP fight both so I'm not that arsed who gets the shot. I've kind of given up on GSP vs Anderson now anyway.

• Paid Members

Yeah I defo want to see GSP vs Diaz more. But it's hard to deny Hendricks his shot as well. Chael wasn't really denying anyone a shot at Jones, they'd all either turned it down or weren't ready. Hendricks has 100% earned his shot.

We'll see what happens. If GSP and his team really push for the Diaz fight I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. It will be a bigger fight for sure. But maybe with GSP not wanting the Anderson fight, Dana might not want to give him what he wants.

Archived