UFC 154: 'St Pierre vs Condit'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Dana wants Anderson there to strong-arm GSP to accepting the fight. By giving such a public platform for the fight to be entertained, GSP would lose serious face if he turned it down. Its a sneaky thing for Dana to do, if he has indeed not discussed it with GSP, but I kinda of like it. If GSP has ducked Anderson so far or has not felt the need to fight him, he will so if they put him on the spot more than ever.I would not be shocked if Condit wins if he calls out Anderson, but I doubt the UFC or Anderson would take the fight.Thing about GSP vs Anderson is, one gets a boost that will have them seen as the best of all time in most areas, whilst the other will be cast aside as a great fighter. Despite the weight difference and his performances after, not many held BJ Penn up as the best ever after GSP mauled him.Its a big risk for both fighters, and both I think care about their legacy. Something other greats like Fedor do not to such a extent.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I think Dana wants Anderson there to strong-arm GSP to accepting the fight. By giving such a public platform for the fight to be entertained, GSP would lose serious face if he turned it down.

Exactly what I was getting at. I think that's what's going on.

Thing about GSP vs Anderson is, one gets a boost that will have them seen as the best of all time in most areas, whilst the other will be cast aside as a great fighter. Despite the weight difference and his performances after, not many held BJ Penn up as the best ever after GSP mauled him.

I smell what you're cooking but I think BJ's legacy was more fucked because he wouldn't stay in his weightclass after the GSP mauling. If you remember BJ's best period was after that GSP fight, around the time of the Florian and Sanchez fights BJ was thought to be unbeatable at 155 and he was looking better than ever. It's only when he dropped the 2 decisions to Edgar and started pissing about with weight divisions again that his legacy suffered. I think that damaged his standing more than the GSP loss personally. With GSP vs Anderson I'd say it's actually Anderson who has more to lose. Which is why GSP's apparent reluctance to show any interest in the fight baffles me. He'll rake it in from fighting Anderson and if he loses, he lost to the consensus best of all time who's also bigger than him. If Anderson loses to GSP? He's lost to the smaller man who people have been criticising for being safety first and boring or whatever. Yet Anderson is the one who seems to be pushing for the fight. I like both but it's one of the reasons I'm more a fan of Anderson and Penn than I am GSP. They are willing to take risks. And are always looking to test themselves regardless of weight class. GSP's well within his rights to stay put at 170 forever if he wants to. He'll probably go down as the best welterweight ever. But you have to admire a fighter who will take risks and go up or down in weight, out of their natural division, to test themselves. It's why Manny Pacquiao gets so much praise, it's why Henry Armstrong is looked back on as an all time great and why Roy Jones was one of the pound for pound best fighters in boxing in his heyday. The thing is, I'd pick Anderson to beat GSP but I've always thought GSP had a better shot than most middleweights. I don't think he has that much to lose in all honesty. The rewards for beating Anderson are massive and a loss against a bigger man, especially when that man is the best fighter in MMA history, won't be held against him I don't think. In fact I think he'd be looked at with even more respect for testing himself against the top fighter in the world. It's a no-brainer for me. The pros far outweigh the cons for GSP in my opinion.

With BJ I feel like no matter how good he was after the second GSP fight (and I agree he was at his very best for a year after), people still did not hail him as the greatest ever, whilst before that people would entertain it.

That could be because of the reasons you mentioned though, and not the loss to GSP. I actually think P4P, BJ in mid-late 2009 is better than any version of GSP.

I can get the point, losing once against someone bigger than you is not a legacy killer or even taints it. If you lose too often like BJ Penn did later it can tarnish it though. Oscar De Le Hoya is a example of someone who moved up and lost, but I guess he had other losses in his own weightclass as well. People really hold those losses against him as well in the legacy stakes like Penn.

BJ Penn would probably be the perfect subject for one of your "Wasted potential" posts in the past discussion thread. The guy is/was multi talented and won the BJJ world championships after 3 years training. That's insane. To even get a black belt after 3 years is nearly impossible.

His 'just fight' attitude and refusal to train properly is what stopped him fulfilling his potential constantly, which is a shame, as I believe but his performances against Hughes x3 (Round 2 in the 2nd fight is a thing of beauty), the first GSP fight, Pulver 2nd fight, Stevenson, Sherk, Florian and Sanchez are amongst the highest class performances I've seen in MMA.

I know the video has been posted a few times, but it's worth of a gif, too.

1lawl.gif

The way he pats himself down afterwards is spot on too. Great effort.

The intro from Rogan is great stuff too, 'Tom Lawlor, ladies and gentleman, says he is ready to Shock the World!'.

Despite this, I can't see him beating Carmont.

BJ Penn would probably be the perfect subject for one of your "Wasted potential" posts in the past discussion thread.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already did him. If you want a read scroll back in the thread. :thumbsup:

So you did! And I read it originally!! I shouldn't post so early in the morning. :(

Apparently Nick Ring has a virus and the doctor hasn't cleared him tonight so his fight Costa Philippou is off.

Interesting if anything will get bumped to the main card at this point

Update - Bocek vs Dos Anjos has been moved to the main card with Carvalho vs Damm on the FX card

When I saw Ring at the weigh-ins I instantly thought he looked very gaunt. Guess this explains it. Wonder if any other fighters have gotten it as he shook Dana's hand and Dana shook all the fighters hands.

Dana said in his interview with Helwani that GSP cancelled on a carwash promotional event he was meant to do the other day, purely because he didn't want to shake peoples hands and catch the flu thats going around - wise decision from GSP.

Keep on forgetting Cote/Sakara is on this card, I'm expecting a cracker from that one.

Archived