Moderators PowerButchi Posted December 2, 2012 Moderators Posted December 2, 2012 It's exactly what HHH means with the awesome term skinny fat. And he's right, it's the worst look in wrestling or in life for that matter.
Paid Members air_raid Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 Two superpowers squaring off and the whole ring of wrestlers stopping just to watch is an amazing visual. They could do that now and if the players were right, it would be massive. Didn't they try it with Orton & Cena at the end of 2011's 40-man Rumble? To the sound of deathly silence given that they were the wrong players for it, having wrestled 423 times on television? This may be a false recollection, I only bothered watching that twice, once live and once the next day with my best mate. Really dull for long portions. I think the image could happily be created this coming Rumble. Suppose Heyman announces in advance that Lesnar is going to enter the Rumble, then after he's been in a few minutes Hunter emerges, having entered (unannounced) to try and get a shot in at Brock. A field of Mahals and Gabriels stopping what they're doing to watch those two nose to nose would be eminently believable.
Paid Members ShortOrderCook Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 Those moments in Rumbles are the best. The Rumble is such a simple but brilliant booking device. It could only be done today currently with someone returning or any of the part-timers though because with everybody else, nobody is kept apart for 2 minutes. Or over enough. It probably could have been done with Cena and Ryback to a decent level and actually had some significance but they've already shared too much TV time together for that to be effective now.
King Pitcos Posted December 2, 2012 Posted December 2, 2012 Two superpowers squaring off and the whole ring of wrestlers stopping just to watch is an amazing visual. They could do that now and if the players were right, it would be massive. Didn't they try it with Orton & Cena at the end of 2011's 40-man Rumble? To the sound of deathly silence given that they were the wrong players for it, having wrestled 423 times on television? They've definitely tried to do that with Orton and Cena at some point in the last couple of years, yeah. This may be a false recollection, I only bothered watching that twice, once live and once the next day with my best mate. Really dull for long portions. I can't really remember anything about it, other than some boring Nexus vs Corre stuff that never went anywhere, and Cena and Hornswoggle's glorious team-up. Oh, and Santino's near-fairytale ending.
NEWM Posted December 2, 2012 Posted December 2, 2012 This may be a false recollection, I only bothered watching that twice, once live and once the next day with my best mate. Really dull for long portions. I can't really remember anything about it, other than some boring Nexus vs Corre stuff that never went anywhere, and Cena and Hornswoggle's glorious team-up. Oh, and Santino's near-fairytale ending. You'll apologise to the greatest Rumble moment ever, thank you very much.
King Pitcos Posted December 2, 2012 Posted December 2, 2012 Oh shit yeah, and that. And I remember Booker T now as well. And John Morrison did a thing.
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 You'll apologise to the greatest Rumble moment ever, thank you very much. That photo just reminds me how disappointed I was (and still am) that Big Sexy didn't get a proper final run after that night.
NEWM Posted December 2, 2012 Posted December 2, 2012 Oh shit yeah, and that. And I remember Booker T now as well. And John Morrison did a thing. Too right. In all seriousness, Rumble 2011 was one of the best ever. Especially considering that it had to follow the HBK Show in 2010.
Paid Members air_raid Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 It had a couple of good moments but they were stretched out much too far apart. That match felt like it lasted two weeks. But it was still better than this year's which wasn't too long but still managed to bore and had a grand total of two people that had a chance of winning, and an inexplicable lack of Cena. You'll apologise to the greatest Rumble moment ever, thank you very much. Too right. Fuck you, Mysterio.
Paid Members Up Chuck Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 In terms of two guys squaring up and getting a huge reaction, the one I remember is Austin and Rock during the 6-man Hell in a Cell at Armageddon 2000. There was a lesser one during a Rumble after the brand split where the Raw and Smackdown guys split and lined up against each other, before they all teamed up to murder Muhammad Hassan.
NEWM Posted December 2, 2012 Posted December 2, 2012 I disagree Raid, definitely in my top 5 Rumbles ever*. I know what you mean about stretched out moments, but I personally look at the match as a series of mini-stories played out with loads of extras. The match had chapters which helped accomodate the extra ten men, and the central figures in each chapter drove them really well. The Punk/Nexus opening spell, the Cena/Hornswoggle middle, DIESEL, and the really spectacular end sequence during a time that Del Rio still looked like he could be The Man. *Fine, seeing as you asked, it's probably: 1) 2010 2) 1997 3) 2011 4) 1990 5) 1994
Paid Members air_raid Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 In terms of two guys squaring up and getting a huge reaction, the one I remember is Austin and Rock during the 6-man Hell in a Cell at Armageddon 2000. Yeah. that was tremendous. Two guys that had barely looked at each other in over a year, the undisputed top dog at the time of his injury coming face to face with the man that had supplanted him. I was fortunate enough to watch particular match with about six of my mates, with the room split between those two in terms of who we wanted/expected to win the match. The atmosphere in the arena translated into a fairly raucous atmophere in our room, I can tell you. Wasn't there a Rumble where Kane and Big Show got a decent reaction to squaring up? They were each their respective show's resident "monster" and because they had not interacted for a year or so, people got excited seeing them about to duke it out. It's not rocket science. 1) 2010 2) 1997 3) 2011 4) 1990 5) 1994 THAT IS NOT FAIR TO FLAIR.
NEWM Posted December 2, 2012 Posted December 2, 2012 1) 2010 2) 1997 3) 2011 4) 1990 5) 1994 THAT IS NOT FAIR TO FLAIR. Arrows. 92 is great, but Flair and Heenan's story in that one doesn't live up to... 1) HBK's 2) Bret & Austin's 3) All that shite I said above's 4) Hogan and Warrior's 5) Bret Hart and his sore knee's ...in those respective ones. The Rumble is an easy one to make ace, 2012's was a right shambles when you think about the potential it had.
Paid Members ShortOrderCook Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 2001 is brilliant too and has some great stories going on. Actually, there was a run of great Rumbles. '01, '02, '03 and '04 were all pretty special. I'm also a big fan of 2010 and 1997. I did some lengthy reviews on 2001 and 1997 to get in the mood for Rumble last year in a thread, I might resurrect that thread in a bit (or closer to the Rumble) if you lads get involved.
Paid Members Callum1993 Posted December 2, 2012 Paid Members Posted December 2, 2012 I've always been a big of the 99 Rumble. I think because it was the first one I ever watched it's very nostalgic to me despite it being pretty much universally disliked.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.