The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

I love the Royal Rumble 99 event and match itself.

Rock V Mankind is brutal and the start of the Rumble works great for me. Haven't seen it in a while but is 99 when Kane throws loads of body's out?

Love 1998 as well when Austin music breaks and everybody turns to the entrance.

2001 is brilliant too and has some great stories going on. Actually, there was a run of great Rumbles. '01, '02, '03 and '04 were all pretty special.

I'm also a big fan of 2010 and 1997.

I did some lengthy reviews on 2001 and 1997 to get in the mood for Rumble last year in a thread, I might resurrect that thread in a bit (or closer to the Rumble) if you lads get involved.

I could be proposing something horrible here, but what about a "Review a Rumble" thread as the annual Old Rumbles discussion thread instead of just generic previous Rumble discussion? There's been 25 Royal Rumbles, so how's about 25 posters who fancy doing it review a Rumble each, with pictures and videos and stuff, as a way of generating possibly different discussions than the usual Rumble conversations. Get twenty five volunteers and draw a Rumble out of a hat for them, so if they hate it, there's a big fat shitty negative review to stir debate too, rather than people just picking their favourites.

I should point out I'd want to administer zero of the above, but SOC, I think you can safely handle something of this nature. Unless it's just a dreadful idea over-complicating a nice annual thread that people enjoy, I dunno.

• Paid Members

Incidentally, the only real contenders in my eyes for worst Rumble are this year and 1993.

I have considerable hard ons for the joy of the 1991 roster, the staredown between Austin and Hunter in 2002 and Perfect's return, the epic climax of 2007, the solid hour of Benoit in 2004 and the Lesnar show in 2003. There is such simple joy in watching BLLLLAHHHH BRRROCK LESNAAARRRRR eliminate Team Angle together and then F5 Mattitude onto the hapless Shannon Moore at ringside. Said Rumble also earns points for the Michaels/Jericho kick off and Undertaker return.

Edited by air_raid

A nice idea, but inevitably about 18 of the 25 reviews would never materialise despite promises to the contrary and Ian would only win anyway.

I wasn't suggesting it as a competition of any kind. But even then, I think Ian would still win.

• Paid Members
I wasn't suggesting it as a competition of any kind.

Oh, I know that. But even so...

But even then, I think Ian would still win.

Exactly.

For what it's worth, I'd be up for it. Would have potential to be a great thread ahead of the Rumble.

Incidentally, the only real contenders in my eyes for worst Rumble are this year and 1993.

1995 surely? I thought that was almost unanimously agreed to be the worst Rumble ever. I haven't seen any Rumbles from the past 5 or-so years but I struggle to believe any of them are worse than 95. 30 second intervals and only 2 or 3 entrants who had even a remote chance of winning, 2 of which started and finished the match. No match highlights how much the company was on its arse in 95 better than the Rumble.

• Paid Members

Alright then gents, i'll bash that Review a Rumble thread together if you like, seems to have been well received. I might put it up in a bit, first 25 names in get the honours. Unless you're rubbish and I don't like you. You'll be replaced with the next decent poster.

You want this shit set up now or wait a bit closer to time in Jan? Might be worth doing it now, give people a chance to watch and review in enough time.

1995 surely? I thought that was almost unanimously agreed to be the worst Rumble ever. I haven't seen any Rumbles from the past 5 or-so years but I struggle to believe any of them are worse than 95. 30 second intervals and only 2 or 3 entrants who had even a remote chance of winning, 2 of which started and finished the match. No match highlights how much the company was on its arse in 95 better than the Rumble.

Definitely. And half the participants were tag teams. If ever there was a rumble that could have been doing with the 'prelim' match guys doing double duty, it's this one.

I still quite like it, mind, even though it was shit as far as Rumbles go. And it was saved somewhat by an excellent undercard (Taker/IRS aside), making it an event i'd still rather watch than the steaming turd that was to be the next PPV; WMXI.

And I love the 1993 Rumble too, but that wasn't shit, just a bit lacking in star power. Cracking undercard as well!

• Paid Members
1995 surely? I thought that was almost unanimously agreed to be the worst Rumble ever.

Well, it was too brief to be boring and the roster did seem a little depleted in terms of genuine star power, but I'd take 1995's glut of relative newcomers and tag team wrestlers over the last two years of blokes that never get a match on the main shows at all.

In terms of people that had a chance of winning, with our smart heads on we would all go "Diesel's the champ... Shawn's winning then" but at the time it seemed a toss up amongst all the fans I knew. Actually, I don't think anyone I know went with Shawn at all. The names tossed around included Davey Boy because he could throw fatties out, and Luger because of what happened the year before. I had a mate that was convinced Bret was taking the WWF title underneath, so Owen would win the Rumble and they'd have the final grudge match at 'Mania. Personally I thought Bundy might win because the WWF Magazine had been hyping Bundy vs Bret when he came back, and I too thought/hoped Bret was coming back to take the title.

I've just remembered.... one of my mates thought Mabel was going to win, just because he was biggest.

In comparison, 1993 bored me to tears, this year was full of JTJTTS and 2011 honestly (sorry NEWM) didn't hold my attention other than when Punk was in the ring, Morrison was standing on his hands, Diesel was in, or Santino threatened to win. I lost count of how many times I boiled the kettle during that match.

I didn't really like 2006 either, as it was too obvious from the moment Rey came down number 2 (IIRC) that he would win. And I hated Rey at the time.

Alright then gents, i'll bash that Review a Rumble thread together if you like, seems to have been well received. I might put it up in a bit, first 25 names in get the honours. Unless you're rubbish and I don't like you. You'll be replaced with the next decent poster.

You want this shit set up now or wait a bit closer to time in Jan? Might be worth doing it now, give people a chance to watch and review in enough time.

Soon please if nobody minds. I'd like to participate but my wife's doing a baby early January so I may not have a chance nearer the event itself.

• Paid Members

I'd say do it in the run-in to the Rumble, which is at the back end of January. Probably start it around Xmas time, when people might have more spare time to kill?

Edit: Just seen Nume's post. Sooner is fine, given his situation!

Edited by Arch Stanton

Haven't seen it in a while but is 99 when Kane throws loads of body's out?

The 2001 hardcore rumble is the one Kane eliminated about 11 IIRC. In 1999 he eliminated himself by stepping over the top rope while either in or feuding with The Corporation I think