The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

Agree that the Argos range was pretty poor in comparison to the likes of Woolworths.

Which is why Argos eventually moved on to putting different figures under one catalogue number with "Styles may vary" - so they could constantly update the selection.

Back then the catalogue content was decided months before it was launched so the chance of any updates until the next book in 6 months was almost non-existent.

• Paid Members

While we're on a nostalgia trip, around 1997 when I'd grown out of wrestling (ahem), my brothers had these tiny little WWF figures with a little ring. They were always moaning that the ropes slipped off and making me fix it. What were they, anyone know?

61sIp17GlRL._SX300_.jpg

This one?

I had the Rumble 97 one. Came with a ladder and chair. Bought it in Index in Woolwich.

61zp4nmFVlL._SX425_.jpg

• Paid Members

While we're on a nostalgia trip, around 1997 when I'd grown out of wrestling (ahem), my brothers had these tiny little WWF figures with a little ring. They were always moaning that the ropes slipped off and making me fix it. What were they, anyone know?

This one?

I had the Rumble 97 one. Came with a ladder and chair. Bought it in Index in Woolwich.

Pretty certain that's them. They had the blue ring. Although I really recall there being a Goldust figure? 

Owen Hart being featured as a premier wrestler on that box reminds me why I didnt watch wrestling from Mania 9 to Fully Loaded 1998.

Shit, you missed the best year of WWF TV in history? You poor bastard.

• Paid Members

Go on then what year was the best? From what I have watched back from 1993-1998 the best year was 1997 right?

Yeah, superb year. The Hart Foundation vs. USA stuff was white hot throughout the summer but the Bret/Austin/HBK/McMahon stuff at the start of the year and the Harts & DX later on where excellent. Steve Austin becoming one of wrestling's all-time great characters, mankind evolving into a great babyface, Triple H and the Rock making their way up and loads of other great stuff. It just had everything.

2000 was utterly brilliant but it ran out of steam. Funny how both years have awful WrestleManias.

Go on then what year was the best? From what I have watched back from 1993-1998 the best year was 1997 right?

Yeah, superb year. The Hart Foundation vs. USA stuff was white hot throughout the summer but the Bret/Austin/HBK/McMahon stuff at the start of the year and the Harts & DX later on where excellent. Steve Austin becoming one of wrestling's all-time great characters, mankind evolving into a great babyface, Triple H and the Rock making their way up and loads of other great stuff. It just had everything.

2000 was utterly brilliant but it ran out of steam. Funny how both years have awful WrestleManias.

To this day i don't know why they booked WrestleMania 16 (or 2000 as some call it) with only one singles match that featured Terri Vs The Kat. I'm not saying it was a shit WrestleMania but it was a strange one.

Yeah from the old In Your House events that were usually only two hours if Im right? Getting a cracker main event was usually worth buying the tape, and like Rick says the final four way match was brilliant! Always one of my favorites. And the tag title match was good, the more I go back and watch the more I love Owen and Bullldog from that era.

Edited by Sweet Clyde

Yeah from the old In Your House events that were usually only two hours if Im right?

Yes they were only 2 hours until the Ground Zero PPV.

I can't remember which IYH it was but i'm sure one ran just 1hr 35mins

Edited by Lemon Juice