WWE Main Event Discussion *spoilers*

King Pitcos

Anyone else watched The Main Event yet? I really liked the format, the way they showed the Sheamus and Punk hype videos and did interviews before and after the match. The tag match was fun enough as well. I'm not looking forward to next week, where it's Yet Another Orton vs Big Show match. Even if this does turn into another Superstars just using the nobodies, if they kept the format of using hype videos and interviews it'd be great. But they probably wouldn't bother doing that for a Curt Hawkins vs Yoshi Tatsu match.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cheers for the heads up on this one. I thought it was going to be a C show so would never have searched it out. It'll be interesting to see how long WWE maintain an interest in it.

I was torn between thinking the hype videos, interviews and the in-ring hype from Cole & Miz was better than any they've done for ages and thinking that throwing out a title vs. title match on such a show was a massive waste.

Having the tag match on there made it a big deal too. Looking forward to next weeks show. A match that feels big time is rare on WWE TV these days so someone being hyped a week out caught my attention. Even Randy "The Dullard" Orton isn't putting me off!

I watched on Youtube but the version I watched had been removed this morning. Ended up watching the end (that I fell asleep during) on a version some dickhead had made by filming his TV!

• Paid Members

I read the write-up on Gerweck and it actually looks really good. Furthermore, the comments section dribblers have actually praised it too, which makes a change as they hate every WWE show it seems.

Is this going to be on TV over here? We're usually quite privvy to shows when the US aren't at times.

I really quite enjoyed it, although I do think they need to keep up the big stars on it for it to keep the same level of importance.

On a related note, I see Justin Gabriel has started wearing the Jeff Hardy arm-sleeves - how long has he been doing that? Think it was a bit of a shame that Kidd and Gabriel lost to the comedy team of Ryder and Marella, but then it is all about crowd reaction I suppose. Guess I'm just bitter about the losers being the ones wearing matching tag team gear.

• Paid Members
On a related note, I see Justin Gabriel has started wearing the Jeff Hardy arm-sleeves - how long has he been doing that?

They're more of a protective thing than Jeff's - he came back from injury wearing one, then added another a) because it looked better, and b) "so his opponents couldn't easily identify the weaker arm", which is an unusually good explanation for a costume choice in the WWE scheme of things. In reality, IIRC he hasn't even attempted the 450 since he came back, and matches with other moves, so I guess his elbow must really be in need of that support.

As for judging the long-term importance of the show - it's worth remembering that Taker main-evented the first episode of the resurrected Superstars (which will surely make way for this in international markets before long?)

As for judging the long-term importance of the show - it's worth remembering that Taker main-evented the first episode of the resurrected Superstars (which will surely make way for this in international markets before long?)

Obviously The Undertaker is a bigger name than Sheamus, CM Punk, Big Show or Randy Orton, but despite all the big names being on Superstars at the start, it never had matches like Punk vs. Sheamus and Orton vs. Big Show on it.

Watched this on my XBox this morning and i have to say i really liked the feel of the show. It felt a little more old school in it's presentation. I also, and this surprised me some, liked Miz on commentary. Although i still think it's not a good move to have the Intercontinental champion in that position putting over the guys in the ring. Miz's character is meant to be that he feels he is better than everyone else, so it makes little sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watch this week's yet? It was amazing!

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

One of the best hours of non-flagship TV that WWE has ever done. Build-up is 50% of a wrestling match, and that's why so many of these lengthy midcard matches on WWE TV fall flat to anyone who isn't watching with a notepad in one hand and their cock wrapped in an El Ligero mask in the other. WWE nailed it with the build for Kofi vs Miz. The video packages presented both characters perfectly. Kofi's the high-flying babyface living his American dream, Miz is the absolute apex of love-to-hate. And between the promo on Raw and the big kick, they had a solid issue going into the match.

The table was set, and the match itself delivered big-time. Tremendous showcase for both of them. Miz is a far better wrestler than people give him credit for, and he looked tough as nails putting up that kind of fight with his smashed head. Kofi got a ton of exciting offence in, and unique defence. I loved the teasing of the Raw finish early on. I'd seen something that suggested Kofi won, but not enough that I knew for sure so I was hooked by the closing sequence. They had a few little fuck-ups and moments of sloppiness, but that didn't harm it. Easily Kofi's finest hour apart from the Orton stuff three years ago, and this week has made the Trouble in Paradise look awesome. His victory interview wasn't great, but the one with Miz backstage was. Credit to Cole and JBL on commentary for making the match seem big-time as well, and the in-ring introductions always help give a title match that extra aura.

The bonus Ryder vs Ziggler match couldn't have hoped to follow it, but it was fine. And of course it set up an appearance by Ryback. I've not got too much interest in a Ryback vs Ziggler match, but I'm very intrigued in the video packages and interviews for it. And Ziggler will be bouncing around like fuck taking Ryback's arsenal.

Two thumbs up.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• 1 month later...

More people should be fucking watching this show, and if they had little packages like they have here on Raw it would be a whole lot more watchable. Its the best WWE programming about.

John Cena vs Damien Sandow was great, the promos and packages really make you care about the matches which, otherwise would be a Superstars type match but fuck me the match quality and packages are excellent.

Cant recommend this show enough.

I watched it after reading that. Damien Sandow getting to play with the big boys was the attraction for me.

Sandow did a great job. I had my eye on him from the vignettes as I've thought in the past that character would work (though I'm still waiting for him to bring a marker pen with him to the ring and correct someone's bad spelling or grammatical mistake on a crowd sign). The show gives a chance for these guys to get their signature moves over too.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I liked the finish because it kept him strong. Rather than tapping out through the pain, he tapped out because he was a coward/smart enough to realise he needed to tap to avoid injury.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I liked the letter too. If we were blessed with a better main event, I think Sandow would be a great guy to keep strong in the midcard. However, with them trying to find new main eventers, I think Sandow is a good candidate. They clearly have big ideas for him. Cesaro, also on the show, seems to be a guy they're fond of too. I haven't seen the Sheamus match from Raw yet, though I will, but I understand he looked competitive and it was a great match. He's handsome and manly, has a good body, has a good Dean Malenko theme remix, and if he can find a main event character he would be more likely to be a success in the main event than Sandow. I like that his wrestling style is different too and focuses on his strength.

On a side note, Chris Hero has no hope and I'm fucking glad of it. Cesaro always looked the better guy of the two. Bad enough that Seth Rollins got signed up and put on TV, let alone have Chris Hero on TV too.

Archived