Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand that obviously she would want to report it as it's a terrible ordeal. But why wait almost 50 years? It's not as if Bill Roache was a household name in 1967 so that no one would believe her.

Jesus.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I understand that obviously she would want to report it as it's a terrible ordeal. But why wait almost 50 years? It's not as if Bill Roache was a household name in 1967 so that no one would believe her.

If you're not getting it after the reams of material and months of investigations that have ensued then I think it's fair to say that you never will. You really should not be missing the point, though.

I can answer this question very simply. Its basic logic you see. Tits like you still exist in 2013, but imagine how many more tits like you existed in 1967. Now you see the problem.

Yes, that's it. It's that no one would believe her. That's why. It's got nothing to do with shame, or denial, or feeling guilty/feeling like it was there fault, or the courage to come forward or many other reasons why rape victims find it difficult to come forward.

I think also, nobody would have cared in those days. In the 60s, if a girl was alone with a guy, well, what did she expect? I remember reading a biography or obit of someone years ago who was described by a friend as "a hell of a raper" in a not entirely disapproving manner.

There's probably 2 different categories going on in all this.

You've got your proper paedophiles, like Stu Hall, who has been touching up and (most probably, but impossible to prove) raping girls as young as 9. He was doing it over a period of 30, 40 years. His whole life was effectively about hiding his sexual obsession, a bit like Saville. He knew it was wrong, and didn't care.

Then you've got guys like Bill Roache. He's been accused of raping a couple of girls back in the 60s. Hypothesising that he's guilty, he took advantage of his relative fame and forced himself on some girls that were underage. Then he stopped and lived a relatively normal life. He's probably had guilt and worry about this for his entire life, never knowing if it would come out. He might have felt at the time he'd done nothing wrong, but public opinion has moved on since and now he's screwed.

Both vile offences, and both will be dealt with (hopefully) with the full force of the law. I know we're not supposed to categorize rape, and Houchen will be all over this, but I'm reserving a special extra hatred for the Stu Halls of this world. Do you think if Roache could go back and change it, he would? You know Saville wouldn't have.

• Moderators

Nah, the only thing Roache is upset about is that he got caught. That would be his only motivation for going back and changing it.

The difference with the magnitude of the crimes, as with Savile and Hall, is that they totally believed they were above the law and completely untouchable, and couldn't give a shit. Roache didn't care about the women, but he did have a greater fear of getting caught. That's the only way I can interpret it with the facts I have, anyway.

And that's assuming that he never did it to anyone else, anyway.

There's probably 2 different categories going on in all this.

You've got your proper paedophiles, like Stu Hall, who has been touching up and (most probably, but impossible to prove) raping girls as young as 9. He was doing it over a period of 30, 40 years. His whole life was effectively about hiding his sexual obsession, a bit like Saville. He knew it was wrong, and didn't care.

Then you've got guys like Bill Roache. He's been accused of raping a couple of girls back in the 60s. Hypothesising that he's guilty, he took advantage of his relative fame and forced himself on some girls that were underage. Then he stopped and lived a relatively normal life. He's probably had guilt and worry about this for his entire life, never knowing if it would come out. He might have felt at the time he'd done nothing wrong, but public opinion has moved on since and now he's screwed.

Both vile offences, and both will be dealt with (hopefully) with the full force of the law. I know we're not supposed to categorize rape, and Houchen will be all over this, but I'm reserving a special extra hatred for the Stu Halls of this world. Do you think if Roache could go back and change it, he would? You know Saville wouldn't have.

No, I pretty much agree. Rape is rape, that much is certain but attitudes towards rape differ. As Galaxy said, some thought they were doing no wrong. Not that he raped but Dave Lee Travis had a Twitter meltdown, blaming political correctness and whatnot. He tweeted about groping, without irony, "In my day a girl would have enjoyed it and took it as a compliment"

• Moderators
No, I pretty much agree. Rape is rape, that much is certain but attitudes towards rape differ. As Galaxy said, some thought they were doing no wrong. Not that he raped but Dave Lee Travis had a Twitter meltdown, blaming political correctness and whatnot. He tweeted about groping, without irony, "In my day a girl would have enjoyed it and took it as a compliment"

That ended up not being Dave Lee Travis at all. That account finished by saying they were really Charlie Brooker, doing a 'social experiment', but Brooker knew nothing about it. Then the fake DLT deleted itself.

With Roache, there's an underlying aspect of outright sociopathy. This is a man who's already admitted to fucking/using over 1,000 women (while also saying "We're pure love, made in love, living in love. It is urgent to get this over. Time is running out"), and who previously said that rape victims and abused children are to blame for what happened to them, on account of their bad Karma for what they did in past lives. His 'apology' for that consisted of denying that he'd ever said what we've all seen him say in video footage, with zero comprehension that he's done anything wrong. He's also a bonafide cult member who believed that December 2012 would see the human race evolving into a pure energy state, and recently was communicating telepathically with his dogs on ITV's This Morning. He clearly is a sex predator, but he's off his fucking nut too.

• Moderators

Bill Roache has been in Corrie since it's Genesis in 1960. He was a household name.

Archived