Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

1984: Wrestling being shown by April at the latest, if not earlier.

1985: All Star Wrestling (WWF) airing and topping ratings. WrestleMania aired.

1988: Press release said "a previous WrestleMania" was the most watched show in its slot among Sky customers, ahead of BBC etc.

In this period, WrestleManias 1, 2, 4 and 5 were all on tape delay. I've seen accounts of 3 being live, but I'm not sure if that was Sky or if it was a local cable channel offering it on PPV.

I assume the wrestling in '84 is definitely the WWF, unless it's something like Pro-Wrestling USA, but I don't think that would have been syndicated internationally as the WWF was riding on the crest of the Hulkamania wave and its more likely Hulk & the WWF would have been something more appealing to Sky due to the rising popularity of Hulk Hogan. I also read something before about Mania III being live, think it was over on the old TWCF. I don't think it would have been on PPV, but could have been. I vaguely recall there being a basic cable system in the 80's but that was mostly movies and such, so whether it could have been on there, I don't know. Seems more likely it was on Satellite on the normal channel they aired the WWF on. I thought the WWF first started being popular in the UK in 1989, so interesting that it actually pre-dates that by five years if the WWF did air in '84 (or could have even earlier when satellite first launched). On the Men & Motors WOS tapes they aired a few years back they had Hulk et al on the intro's so I think ITV showed the WWF sometimes too. I doubt whether ITV could have showed WrestleMania III but it would be something if they did. Don't know if any old TV schedules exist from that time from the TV Times etc to confirm it. 

The ITV American wrestling stuff is covered at my itvwrestling.co.uk site. Direct links are:

http://www.johnlisterwriting.com/itvwrestling/87.html

http://www.johnlisterwriting.com/itvwrestling/88.html

http://www.johnlisterwriting.com/itvwrestling/post88.html#Anchor-America-24688

AFAIK, most Sky viewers before 89 were doing so via local cable channels simply because the dishes then were so impractical. I'd assume that any PPV stuff would have been through cable simply because it would have been easier to have a payment/decryption setup at that point on cable rather than on a dish.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

I agree with the above post. 89 was when sky and satellite dishes really started to take off. Our friends got sky, we got BSB with the famous "square-eal). After sky bought BSB and Hasbros came out WWF was everywhere!

*BSB FACT - a young Lee Evans and Rebecca Front were two thirds of comedy TV show "Hold The Pickle". Even then Evans stood out

Im not buying into this love for KO, i know wrestlings changed a lot recently but i'm not having him as a top tier WWE guy. Bryan and Punk yeh, but Owens, noway. Cena done the job as he is no threat to him. Should have done the job to Bray last year or Rusev recently. Not KO.

Could someone honestly tell me his appeal? Nervous promo, not a great look, gimmick? What is it a good guy or bad guy gimmick? Wrestlers should not wrestle in t-shirts.

• Paid Members

He was nervous in his Raw debut promo but his mic work this week was excellent as it often is on NXT. I really think he's excellent. He's agile, he's mobile, he sells well, his offence is good and most importantly, he's very believable.

That comes from someone who'd never actually seen him work before his NXT debut.

• Paid Members

Kevin Owen's is the least nervous guy in the business. Sometimes he says words in a different way, because his first language is french, so his sentences sound a little odd. But his voice is great I think. He's arguably the best promo out there. He's stormed through NXT onto the main roster in a feud with John Cena like nothing, because he's connected with the audience so much. He's pretty much the new Mick Foley. His ability in the ring and on the microphone will make him a huge star. His look is no longer an issue. Why would his look be an issue when he's already made it to the main roster with the same look he was hired with. He's not Brodus Clay. He's got an appeal which people get, because that's who he is. He's a genuine character.

Also, he killed Jim Cornette's career, which I'll always love him for.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Cena done the job as he is no threat to him.

Cena did the job because he does what he's told. He's a pro.

• Paid Members

That post is mental. I think maybe only The Rock matches Cena in terms of being selfless when asked to put a bloke over. He wasn't trying to sabotage piss all when he was dragging the likes of Punk and Bryan to modern classics.

Cena is the best and this US title run is incredible.