Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

They've done some amazing stuff in their time and had a brilliant roster. Sadly that just makes me hate them more for managing to fuck things up so consistently.

Aces and Eights started off great, everyone was so hyped. Just a shame it went to shit, turned away a lot of fans and ended with a joke funeral skit

• Paid Members

Just occurred to me reading the who should've gone over thread that the only time Bret Hart lost a world title clean was at WM12

Well I thought it was interesting

That wasn't clean. He was screwed by that cunt, Monsoon.

• Paid Members

I used to enjoy reading the results on a Thursday morning and seeing that the Rock and Roll Express or Vader or Nikita Koloff had shown up for a one-shot.

Yeah, I remember a Nikita Koloff angle where he was holding up a copy of an old Pro Wrestling Illustrated to Dusty Rhodes all the time. What was the deal with that? Odd what you remember.

Good point, plus he had flu when he dropped the IC title to the Mountie..

Reason he really dropped the belt then was because he was off to Bill Watts' WCW. WWF managed to change his mind.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Following on from what I said in the "The ONE guy you wanted to make it but didn't" thread about Stevie Richards being one of the very few watchable things about EV2.0, I was reminded of something else: it's a small, small moment, but briefly made me smile and think "maybe they might actually have an inkling of an idea of how to do this properly" (more fool me). It was an angle scene, where all of EV2.0 are sat in their locker-room talking about recent events (being attacked by Fortune, I think), and their solidarity and whatnot. Raven suddenly pipes up, questioning why he should be teaming with any of them or something. Dreamer's just walked in and asks: "What's up with him?" to which D-Von replies in a long-suffering, but exasperated, tone: "He's being him."

There was just something in that moment that felt really authentic and historical, that hinted at what long-term storytelling is about. We all know Raven's a dick and has put all his ECW compadres through a load of shit in the past, and we know they're all fed up with him but also tolerate him because "he's that bloke" - you know, the mate everyone has who's annoying, causes problems, you don't want to hang out with him most of the time, but it just doesn't feel justified to cut him off as a friend, mainly because it's more effort than it's worth, and also because he comes in useful on the odd occasion.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

That's pretty great. I wasn't watching TNA when they were doing that storyline but it sounds pretty good. I do like when wrestling is self-aware without simply explicitly dredging up the past incident in its entirety.

"Years ago, I had a girlfriend named Katie. But, let’s just say that didn’t turn out so well."

• Paid Members

Like I say, it was one of the incredibly few things that were enjoyable about that storyline. It wouldn't have been worth sitting through for, sadly. One thing I really felt they could've done in the same vein was when Raven fought newly-turned heel Jeff Hardy, who was pretty much playing neo-Raven with his behaviour and rambling promos; the entire angle and match, there was no hinting at or even outright discussion of how they were so similar, how Raven might see something of himself in Hardy's new attitude, like perhaps facing off with each other with their pre-match corner perches, etc. One thing I expected them to do, especially having had the angle I just described above, was for him to turn on EV2.0 and become Hardy's manager or mentor.

They did nothing at all with those two. I know there were better opponents for Hardy at the time, but it could've been a decent little mini-angle just for the duration of that show, particularly as the main thrust of it was that if Raven lost, he'd be fired. So there could've been a bit of a "passing the bastard torch" moment there.

Edited by Carbomb

Passing the torch in terms of character, not passing the torch in terms of credibility. It's a decent concept for a one show story. Raven is a has-been but that would of been part of the story. It would have been nothing more than a "here is your new grunge nutter."

• Paid Members

Passing the torch in terms of character, not passing the torch in terms of credibility. It's a decent concept for a one show story. Raven is a has-been but that would of been part of the story. It would have been nothing more than a "here is your new grunge nutter."

Exactly. That's why I wrote "the bastard torch". Recognition by Raven that he's finally met as big a bastard as he's ever been. No better confirmation of a cunt than another established cunt admitting what a cunt he is.

Edited by Carbomb