Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

The thing that always fries my brain is how the Harts were the top heels for basically the whole spring/summer then out of necessity, it became Shawn/Hunter and within a couple of months, Rocky. Watching Survivors '97 and then Rumble '98 and..... well, it's remarkable how quickly things changed. Especially if you do yourself the favour of skipping the In Your House inbetween which feels a bit like "Well, beyond Shawn, Austin and Taker we're a bit short, lads."

Edited by air_raid

Austin's rise to the top is pretty mad, considering he's basically the biggest money draw ever but his two big breaks only came about because Shawn Michaels was being a knob. If the curtain call hadn't led to Triple H being buried for about three months YEARS, he'd never have said Austin 3:16. And if it hadn't been for HBK dropping the title to a frown, the I Quit match double turn with Bret probably wouldn't have happened.

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "NXT is only for hardcore fans" idea. Raw is a fucking abysmal television show about 98% of the time, papered over with good production values and the odd good match. Who is watching Raw apart from die-hard fans? I just can't imagine any casual viewer sitting through 3 hours (with all those breaks) on a Monday night. They've convinced themselves they're producing this variety show that needs to cater for these imaginary fans with different tastes and ideas about what they like, but it seems the only thing most people agree on is that it's a consistently bad show where nothing ever happens and no-one gets over. I know NXT is a special case because it has the one writer and doesn't have to answer Vince or the USA network, but God, it just works so well and you get these amazing PPV style shows that actually mean something. Would it be that difficult to enlarge what works on NXT to make it work on Raw? Obviously yes, in the current situation. I wonder if it would improve drastically once Dunn and Vince are gone.

• Moderators

1974-1991/1993-2001 Are the years of Flairs NWA run. Horsemen ran 1985 - early 1989, Dec 89 - June 91, 1993, Nov 95 - Jan 98, Sep 98 - May 99.

So they only ran for 11 years on and off of a possible 24 years, not nearly Flair's entire run in the NWA/WCW. It's interesting when you put it to numbers, as like you said he seemed to be with them the whole run.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator

The brief description of his Twitter on Google says

"This isn't an attack at Cesaro by any means. This is purely me getting my anger out at WWE on Cesaro's behalf."

But that doesn't appear anywhere on the Twitter itself - safe to assume it's the hacker who wrote that bit?

Edit: Just realised that with this and Rollins, that's two WWE hacks in a week.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I'm not sure I buy into the whole "NXT is only for hardcore fans" idea.

You've made the common mistake of thinking your own hardcore fan leanings are the same as a casual Raw viewer's -- in reality, there'll usually be quite a difference. It's fine to like a wrestling show without convincing yourself Raw would be more watched following its template, just like it's fine to like a wrestler without thinking they should win the belt every night.

As a litmus test for how close your mindset probably is to the average viewer, ask yourself who are your five favourite performers on Raw?

Edited by King Pitcos

1974-1991/1993-2001 Are the years of Flairs NWA run. Horsemen ran 1985 - early 1989, Dec 89 - June 91, 1993, Nov 95 - Jan 98, Sep 98 - May 99.

So they only ran for 11 years on and off of a possible 24 years, not nearly Flair's entire run in the NWA/WCW. It's interesting when you put it to numbers, as like you said he seemed to be with them the whole run.

I guess its how wwe edited the dvd to an extent, it seemed anytime there was a couple of them in wcw at any time they made a version of the horsemen.

I know Rumble 92 is seen as the most star studded and best rumble but I reckon 2003 is gotta be close,

On the undercard you have Lesnar, Big Show, HHH, Scott Steiner,Ric Flair, Kurt Angle and Chris Beniot

The Rumble match has alot of quality names Undertaker, Kane, Eddie Guerrero, Jeff Hardy, Edge, Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Cena, Batista, Mysterio, Booker T, RVD and more I'm forgetting.

Suppose it depends on where these names are ranked or get placed against 92 roster.

Another thing is noticed is how colourful and different everyones ring gear is compared to now, Y2J in purple and blue, HBK in red, Cena in jeans, Matt Hardy in red trousers, Team Angle in usa colours, 3 minute warning wearing 'gangsta' street clothes and Rosie looks indentical to Reigns I know they're brothers but still, very little black and very easy to indentify who everyone is

2003 was fairly shite though, colourful gear or not. Loved the SmackDown 6 whenever Edge and Chavo weren't involved of course, but Raw was difficult to get through from week to week and Lesnar didn't have the stark raving looney aura that makes him so compelling to watch now.

• Paid Members
The Rumble match has alot of quality names Undertaker, Kane, Eddie Guerrero, Jeff Hardy, Edge, Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Cena, Batista, Mysterio, Booker T, RVD and more I'm forgetting.

Suppose it depends on where these names are ranked or get placed against 92 roster.

Another thing is noticed is how colourful and different everyones ring gear is compared to now, Y2J in purple and blue, HBK in red, Cena in jeans, Matt Hardy in red trousers, Team Angle in usa colours, 3 minute warning wearing 'gangsta' street clothes and Rosie looks indentical to Reigns I know they're brothers but still, very little black and very easy to indentify who everyone is

It's about context, not just about the names on paper. Several of the names mentioned there in there are only considered huge names now based on what they went on to do since, i.e. recognized World Champions, in terms of Eddie, Hardy, Edge, Cena, Batista, Mysterio and Van Dam. I'm being generous including Kane for his one day with the WWF title and Booker T winning four world titles when WCW was a shell of its former self then one more when the belt was being defended on WWF telly. Including Kane and Booker you have Lesnar, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and Jericho for a total of five guys that had at one point been recognized as the World Champion by one of the two biggest companies in the States.

In 1992, you had four men acknowledged as former WWF Champions in the ring - Hogan, Randy Savage, Undertaker and Sgt Slaughter, as well as Col Mustafa who had been the WWF Champion previously, as you'll all know, as Sheiky Baby. You also had Kerry Von Erich and OF COURSE Ric Flair, who had been NWA World Heavyweight Champions when that belt was on a par with the WWF title for prestige, so you have seven former World Champions in the ring. On top of that you have several former Intercontinental champions, which in the era of 2/3 shows a day could make a main eventer of you anywhere in the country and was a much bigger honour than the same achievement (or the US title) represented in 2003. Off the top of my head you had Valentine and Tito Santana, as well as the current Intercontinental Champion Roddy Piper, who had drawn a FUCKTON of money working with Hogan. Rick Martel had no doubt seen a gate or two as AWA World Champion. Moreover, due to the "boom" period, it cannot be overstated how big of a star various guys in that match were, even without any title pedigree to back them up. You can easily argue that in 1992 a Ted DiBiase, Davey Boy Smith or Jake Roberts was as big a star or bigger than many of the guys that DID hold a world title (especially the Big Gold Belt) in WWE in the early C21st.

Not saying that 2003 isn't an impressive roster but in terms of STARS or how I perceive them, it doesn't touch 1992 in the context of the time each match took place.

• Paid Members

I would disagree with that. I reckon the current roster do a pretty good job of standing out from eachother. Regardless of the lack of character continuity or promo time most of them have a unique look and stand out from eachother. There was a period a few years back where it genuinely was impossible to work out who everyone was though.

Edited by LaGoosh

The 1992 Rumble was the big Rumble of the WWF's UK expansion and was still in the jobber squash era. By 1993, the WWF had gone to shit, and by the time it got good again, squash TV was dead and half the roster lost all the time so the lower end of the card didn't have the aura that their '92 equivalents had. Plus the belt being on the line made it a million times more exciting, especially when you're a kid and you think loads more people have a chance than actually do. There was still a fair load of shite in it, mind. Nikolai Volkoff was in it! As a jaded wanker adult watching it, you'd know Flair or Hogan was winning it, even if they didn't.