Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

"Great American Bash 1991" is far from being the worst PPV ever. Watch it on the Network if you can. Diamond Studd vs Tom Zenk is a great match. Luger - Windham was better than I remembered. Only right stinker was that scaffold match. What the fuck was that about?

Big cut in the WWE Network version when the "Yellow Dog", during his match with Johnny B Badd, shouts "JOHNNY B GAY!!' into the camera and half whispers "faggot" as he's walking away. Cut right out. It's on the UK VHS version.

. I watched this a few months back for the first time in around 20 years and thought exactly the same thing. Also, Ricky Morton vs Robert Gibson is pretty good too - Gibson sells his knee so believably.

The Luger Windham match is really odd though. Why have a cage match and not use the cage once? If anything it restricted them. Weird.

I watched this a few months back for the first time in around 20 years and thought exactly the same thing

I also watched this a few months back and I think you're a couple of masochists! It's still as grim watching with 2014 eyes as it was a decade or more ago imo.

I even buy the suspicions that it maybe wasn't only the crowd protesting throughout that show too. The wrestling was almost entirely mailed in from start to end, not helped by some of the craziest booking and matchmaking imagineable. If you're being generous, some of it could possibly be considered inoffensive & forgettable midcard fare as opposed to flat out rank-rottenness. You can get away with that when the big showcase matches deliver to redeem things and make it somewhat memorable, but without that, it left the whole event feeling completely flat.

It's unfortunate as it could've been great with the originally planned main event and the rest of the card falling into place around it, helped by a motivated roster. Switching the daft and random scaffold match for a plain old (and more logical) Eaton/Austin TV title match would've been a decent idea too.

The few small thing it did have in its favour included aesthetics, as the WCW style of presentation was still about a year from turning to shit. It looked great with the decent crowd, good camera work, lighting and red ring apron.

Ultimately though, if it's not the worst PPV ever, it's certainly down there amongst them.

Did Bryan do his running knee finisher before SummerSlam 2013? I cant remember him doing it so it got me thinking that the running knee finisher was created as a move Bryan could pin Cena with at SummerSlam as Cena doesnt tap out and Bryans finish at the time was the Yes Lock.

That was the first time I remember him using it. Cena took it brilliantly for the finish...and was then fine a few seconds later, just like when he took Orton's punt which put HHH out for 6 weeks. He can be great at times, but he can also be downright rotten.

But like was said it did over as a credible finisher by Cena not kicking out of it. The complete reverse of what happened at Wrestlemania that year when Jericho kicked out of Fandango's top rope leg drop finisher in his debut match. I'm not making out that Fandango was going to be something (he wasn't, and most likely never will be) but having someone kick out of your finisher the first time it's used just made him look like a chump right off the bat

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I am watching WCW Mayhem 1999 for the first time in years. There's a 6 man tag match between Kidman, Eddie Guerrero and Torrie Wilson going against Dean Malenko, Saturn and Asya. Guerrero and Malenko start the match off and a minute into it the fans are shouting 'BORING, BORING'. This is Eddie and Dean Malenko in the ring!! When they did it for the Evan Karagias vs Disco Inferno match I thought fair enough but these fans are just clueless it seems.

• Paid Members

I never noticed the WCW drawn into the logo until today.

9fdlM.png

That was a crap logo.

This was brilliant though. Why fix something that isn't broken?

WCW_Logo.jpg

The only time that first logo looked good was when it was used like this:

http://www.toymania.com/news/wcw2000/images/wcw_logo_new.gif