Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

The 40 man Rumble was excellent. Probably the least predictable ever as well. Anyone who says they expected Alberto or Santino in the final two is lying.

I think everyone expected Del Rio to be in the final two and win. No one thought Santino would be runner up though, obviously. One of the great Rumble moments.

• Moderators

Balls to that, it's '05!

So HBK needed the rub? Fuck that, in a match between two people of their level who aren't going to get a rub give the win to Hogan the babyface.

Edited by PowerButchi

Balls to that, it's '05!

So HBK needed the rub? Fuck that, in a match between two people of their level who aren't going to get a rub give the win to Hogan the babyface.

Wasn't there supposed to be a rematch the following month were HBK would have got his win back, only for Hogan to fuck off without doing so

From what I recall, that had been the original plan, but Hogan nixed the rematch before the first one took place, which was probably his biggest mistake in the matter.

• Paid Members

I'm half way through 1997 at the minute, and the likes of Jim Powers and Joe Gomez are still hanging around. Jim Powers is much like Koko B Ware in that he was always about yet I don't remember him winning a single match, not even a Barry Horowitz-style shock win

When I started 1996 it was a bit of a novelty to see the perennial jobber given a bit of a run as a JTTS. Didn't take long until he outstayed his welcome though.

I've been a fan 25 years now and WM7 was the first PPV I watched, afaik. That was the start of all the magic for me; 1991-1992 were the highlight of my childhood. 

Nearly a third of the performers from that show have now passed. ;-( Not sure I can think of any other form of entertainment/sport where child fans have had to experience so much loss as the years of their early adulthood went by. The super heroic, immortal-seeming nature of these guys to a 7 year old kid making it all the more heart-breaking. 

Lest we forget:

Andre 'the Giant' Roussimoff, 1946 - 1993

Kerry 'Texas Tornado' Adkisson, 1960 - 1993

Adolfo 'Dino Bravo' Bresciano, 1949 - 1993

Joey Marella, 1963 - 1994

Robert 'Gorilla Monsoon' Marella, 1937 - 1999

Davey Boy 'British Bulldog' Smith, 1962 - 2002

Curt 'Mr. Perfect' Hennig, 1958 - 2003

Elizabeth 'Miss Elizabeth' Hulette, 1960 - 2003

Michael 'Road Warrior Hawk' Hegstrand, 1957 - 2003

Raymond 'Hercules' Fernandez, 1956 - 2004

Ray 'Big Boss Man' Traylor Jr., 1963 - 2004

'Lord' Alfred Hayes, 1928 - 2005

John 'Earthquake' Tenta Jr., 1963 - 2006

Sherri 'Sherri Martel' Schrull, 1958 - 2007

Brian 'Demolition Crush' Adams, 1964 - 2007

Randy 'Macho Man' Poffo, 1952 - 2011

William 'Paul Bearer' Moody, 1954 - 2013

Jim 'Ultimate Warrior' Hellwig, 1959 - 2014

Roderick 'Roddy Piper' Toombs, 1954 - 2015

Harry 'Mr. Fuji' Fujiwara, 1934 - 2016

Edited by Maikeru

It's slowed right up though hasn't it. I remember when Bret had his mates on a porch fantasy retirement and all those fuckers were popping off midway through his sentence. As it stands, if, I dunno, James Storm said 'cor, looking forward to life on the ranch when we're all retired' he'd probably have most his mates there. New era for living to be old now.