Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I just watched Will Ospreay and Tom Dawkins - or their RetroFutureVerse equivalents, at least - have a really fucking great match and no-one who wasn't there will ever see it or hear about it. What an odd world we live in sometimes.

It's the same as the great matches before everything was televised. Even the most average Flair - Steamboat matches, and nearly every Lawler, Funk, or Harley match will have been infinitely superior to Ospreay - Dawkins, and few people will have heard about those.

I guess you could compare Ospreay/Dawkins to an upcoming band or singer putting on a great gig in a small venue. If they're that good, their work will be seen eventually.

• Paid Members

I just watched Will Ospreay and Tom Dawkins - or their RetroFutureVerse equivalents, at least - have a really fucking great match and no-one who wasn't there will ever see it or hear about it. What an odd world we live in sometimes.

It's the same as the great matches before everything was televised. Even the most average Flair - Steamboat matches, and nearly every Lawler, Funk, or Harley match will have been infinitely superior to Ospreay - Dawkins, and few people will have heard about those.

I guess you could compare Ospreay/Dawkins to an upcoming band or singer putting on a great gig in a small venue. If they're that good, their work will be seen eventually.

Oh, totally. It was more a comment on the fact that there's very little that does go unreported and unseen these days, and when it's a match of such high quality it's so stark.

• Paid Members

There's definitely going to be more, to a degree higher profile Ospreay vs Dawkins matches in the UK in 2016 at least - over in IPW:UK for certain where Ospreay has recently become a baddie (which still seems so unlikely to me!)

WWF in 87 was really at its peak. I know it is easy to book people well when wrestling against jobbers, but that year you had Rude, Bigelow, Butch Reed, Demolition, Duggan, Dibiase all debut and all were stars. You had Strike Force get together. Billy Graham return, that was a weird one as he came back basically just looking and speaking like Hogan, you thought they maybe wouldnt have made it so obvious that Hulkster plagiarised him.

The debut of 'Survival Series' as they all seemed to call it on the pre taped promos. Honky, The Harts and Slick at their peak. The Piledriver album - girls in cars! Jesse at his peak on commentary. Wrestlemania 3. The SNME's were at their best. Savage turning good without actually doing anything different from being a baddie. Warrior debut to no music and no fan fair, just intro'd in the ring. I guess they didnt know the people would take to him the way they did.

Omar Atlas, Rex King, Dusty Wolfe.

Beefcakes transformation. Muroco turning into The Rock.

Great great year. Just watched it all on daily motion over the last few weeks.

Orndorff miscast as a baddie with Humperdink is the only slbad thing

Edited by Porkchopcash

MITB wasn't exactly a new gimmick match. It's a ladder match with a briefcase rather than a title. Neither is KOTR, it's a bunch of single matches in a tournament format.

Sounds more like you want a new PPV format than a gimmick match.

• Paid Members

Christopher Daniels did a podcast with Karl Anderson and he was asked "how many times have you been to England?" And he answered "between 10 and 20."

Must be more than that surely? He's been about with about 10 different companies loads of times. I'm thinking he's been over for UWA in the late 90s. UCW in 2000. The FWA a few times. 1PW a few times. Herbie's group. PCW I imagine. Quite a few TNA tours. Anyone else remember any others? Got to be more than 20.