Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

And the AWF, which is amazing to look at in 2015 eyes. They used an old WWF ring, the same ropes, the same camera set up, the same little graphics as Raw, ex-WWF wrestlers. Because WWF had cut the budget, you could actually rip them off in 1995 to a fairly decent level. Which the AWF tried desperately to do. I believe they were actually paying fans to turn up at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFP7fPGmifc

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Starting to get myself into PWG, but finding it difficult to watch without commentary. Does anyone know when they started to release DVD's with commentary so I can start there? Thanks guys.

Swear the only show without commentary was the Tango and Cash tag tournament for 2003? The rest have commentary on them, it's the second audio track on the DVD if that helps

Are the terms 'Alliance' and 'Association' in wrestling losing their meanings? It seems like a lot of upstart promotions are an 'Alliance' without working in conjunction with another promotion or without using talent from an associated school. Aside from NWA, I don't see many *name* Wrestling Alliance's being legit.

Edited by ninevisions

• Paid Members

I think it's because the word "Alliance" sounds big-time, like there are loads of people involved, whereas "Association" sounds a bit formal and singular. That might just be how it sounds to me, though.

Just watching NWO Soulded Out. What's going on with the Miss NWO comp? The women involved are some of the most dog rough lasses I've ever seen. I've seen better looking women on Brit shows from the 80's!

• Paid Members

Just watching NWO Soulded Out. What's going on with the Miss NWO comp? The women involved are some of the most dog rough lasses I've ever seen. I've seen better looking women on Brit shows from the 80's!

I think it was intended to be a biker/rough around the edges experience. Along with the garbage truck intro, dark colours, grimy production etc.

I remember the crowd being quite quiet through the whole show. It was a weird self-indulgent experiment. They really needed a Goldberg esq babyface to crash the party too, but it was just another nWo beatdown if I remember, the crowd didnt know what to do.

• Paid Members

I just watched a couple of Supertapes with profiles on that raised my eyebrow a little. On the first one we get a Bushwhackers profile where they first wrestle the Bolsheviks and rather obviously win, then Brooklyn Brawler & Bad News Brown (rather random choice but at least they win) and finally the Powers of Pain where they escape with a DQ win, which shocked the shit out of me. Now, three matches where they win all three is fine, even if one is only a disqualification, but a thrown-together team involving the Brawler should never be there in a profile of anyone's best matches, for me.

However, worse is the Supertape II profile of The Rockers. The first match is against those darn Powers of Pain, which is a good enough match, but Shawn and Marty lose by pinfall. Up next they face the reunited New Dream Team (the "old" New Dream Team??) of Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine, who are marginally better than being a TOTALLY thrown together heel team on the basis that both are managed by Jimmy Hart and obviously had plenty of experience tagging together when Valiant was their manager. However, they get a pinfall win over the Rockers which is subsequently overruled by then-referee Ron Garvin on a Dusty finish (dubious) disqualification call which exists to further Garvin's feud with The Hammer. This profile essentially made Shawn & Marty look like losers.

I just thought it was funny.

Edited by air_raid

Headshrinkers/Steiners has got to be high on the list of under-rated WM matches, I reckon. I haven't really thought about what else would be on the list though.

I would include CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio from WM26 on that list.

There aren't many 6 or 7 minute long matches better than that imo. And knowing what a big fan of Eddie Guerrero was, it must have been a great thrill for him (and Mysterio too) to execute the moonsault DDT spot perfectly as used at Halloween Havoc 1997. I've seen Mysterio try it a few more times in between and it never looked as good.

I'm sick of the sight of the fucking Bella twins. They are all over everything. Talentless eye candy has never had such prominence in wwe. I wish they would take a hike for good. And take dolph ziggler with them.