Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

According to eWrestlingNews, the top #10 are as follows:

#10. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels – WWE Championship 60-Minute WWE Iron Man Match: WrestleMania XII

#9. John Cena vs. CM Punk – WWE Championship Match: Money in the Bank 2011

#8. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian – World Tag Team Championship TLC Match: WrestleMania X-Seven

#7. Bret Hart vs. The British Bulldog – Intercontinental Championship Match: SummerSlam 1992

#6. The Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage – Retirement Match: WrestleMania VII

#5. Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio – Cruiserweight Championship Mask vs. Title Match: Halloween Havoc 1997

#4. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair – NWA World Heavyweight Championship 2-out-of-3 Falls Match: Clash of the Champions VI: Ragin’ Cajun, April 2, 1989

#3. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage – Intercontinental Championship Match: WrestleMania III

#2. Bret Hart vs. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin – Submission Match: WrestleMania 13

#1. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels: The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania

The full list can be found on WWE.com - http://www.wwe.com/classics/100-best-matches

Amazed that The Rock vs. Steve Austin from Wrestlemania 17 isn't in the top ten.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

This is quite the random thought, but how pointless is the Moonsault part in AJ Styles jump of the ropes Moonsault reverse DDT thing?

Well he was called The Phenominal One, so I always just assumed he was adding a bit of flash for the sake of it.

The Styles Clash is by far the shittest move he has

• Paid Members

I'm amazed that Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart is in. Have WWE always peddled that match as being great? I thought they'd admitted it was a bit shit at some point when they weren't friends with Bret.

Seems to be a recent thing. Notice it especially in younger fans who didn't live through it, just assuming because it was Bret & Shawn for 60 minutes that they're supposed to like it.

My dislike of it is probabaly worsensed though by the first time I saw it being the Monday 3pm replay, which had adverts every 15 minutes making the thing even more excruciating to get through.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

If that match went half an hour, it might have been the best match WWF ever put on. The only things great about the match was the sharpshooter spot and the superkick finish. People were going mental for it. It they'd have just went with a proper match and not tried to do something different with the hour stip, it would have been amazing. Everyone was into Bret and Shawn at the time. But that just wasnt what the audience wanted. This was just before the attitude era, where everything was forgotten about within 15 minutes of it happening. I remember when I was a kid, I just didn't sit through it without fastforwarding. Meltzer was there and said half the arena left after the Warrior was finished. After all those years of Hogan, Piper, Warrior and Andre, an hour match wasn't what the WWF was going to hang their hat on

Bret and Shawn might be my two favourite in-ring guys ever. Their respective back catalogues are outstanding. And I'm pretty sure I've never made it through that Iron Man match without nodding off or losing interest. It's a shame, they may well have had an absolute belter of a straight singles match in 1996.

• Paid Members

The Iron man wasn't a bad idea. It was the lack of scoring that killed it. If they'd worked a 2-2 or even a 1-1 it would have been effectively three or five mini matches with natural rest points after the falls. They could still have worked the same "screwy" finish too. It was a crazy decision to go with no falls in a whole hour. Probably more evidence of the ego on the pair of them getting in the way of their work. They should watch the Rhodes/Flair rivalries episode.

Watching a Raw from Linus' day, and a few thoughts that have come up:

Marlena-era Terri Runnels is by far the sexiest woman ever in wrestling.

"Make a Difference" Fatu used the RKO/Diamond Cutter as a standard setup move.

They built up a Bulldog vs Jake PPV match by narrating over a five-minute clip of them brawling at a house show.

Goldust's nominated for a Slammy award for Best Buns.

Vince: "He gives new meaning to the term 'cheek to cheek'."

Lawler: "Uh, you're a little homophobic, McMahon."

Vince: "You got that right."

Sunny (who won that Slammy) was absolutely gorgeous as well. And what a character. That pre-attitude trio was the greatest female roster ever. Zip looked a lot like Matt Hardy in the face, and I don't remember ever thinking that about Dr Tom at any other point in his career.

Tajiri was a jobber in 1996! Wearing trunks and kickpads and losing to the Godwinns.

• Paid Members

I'm amazed that Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart is in. Have WWE always peddled that match as being great? I thought they'd admitted it was a bit shit at some point when they weren't friends with Bret.

Yeah, definate odd one out there. When the match kicks into gear its ok, but not anything close to being "great". Probably changes a lot of notable things if that match doesn't happen.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

This is quite the random thought, but how pointless is the Moonsault part in AJ Styles jump of the ropes Moonsault reverse DDT thing?

Well he was called The Phenominal One, so I always just assumed he was adding a bit of flash for the sake of it.

The Styles Clash is by far the shittest move he has

I'm not a big fan of the styles clash but it is a country mile better than the suplex/neckbreaker thing he used to do. Presumably some veteran, possibly Jarrett or Raven, pulled him aside, laughed in his face and told him to drop it.

"Make a Difference" Fatu used the RKO/Diamond Cutter as a standard setup move.

They built up a Bulldog vs Jake PPV match by narrating over a five-minute clip of them brawling at a house show.

Goldust's nominated for a Slammy award for Best Buns.

Vince: "He gives new meaning to the term 'cheek to cheek'."

Lawler: "Uh, you're a little homophobic, McMahon."

Vince: "You got that right."

Sunny (who won that Slammy) was absolutely gorgeous as well. And what a character. That pre-attitude trio was the greatest female roster ever. Zip looked a lot like Matt Hardy in the face, and I don't remember ever thinking that about Dr Tom at any other point in his career.

Tajiri was a jobber in 1996! Wearing trunks and kickpads and losing to the Godwinns.

Yep im havin that, she just looked like a dirty bastard, she hadnt had the nose job yet aswell.