Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

My reviews make up for not having someone to say that stuff to while I'm watching. I said nothing during this show, sitting there open-mouthed, equally disgusted, bewildered and amused. A good show. But not for the right reasons.

• Paid Members

I've been printing out and reading the Wrestling Observer from January 1992, one a night for the past week. It's fun because I'd not long been watching WWF at that point, and although I bought the Apter mags I certainly wasn't "smart" to the business. So reading about stuff I only saw kayfabed on TV or in Pro-Wrestling Illustrated is pretty cool. Also, you get nice little bits like:

WWF House Show Results:, 2/9 in Las Vegas drew 4,000 as Shawn Michaels beat Silver Shadow (the guy who puts up the ring because Jimmy Snuka no-showed) -** Feb 17th 1992

Here & There News Item: Todd Gordon, who worked as a financial partner with Joel Goodhart is going to start up a group called Eastern Championship Wrestling and use a lot of Goodhart's local wrestlers like J.T. Smith, D.C. Drake, Larry Winters, etc. Feb 10th 1992

Plus, the last remaining territories are just dying out. Living history.

Do you think there'd be any mileage in a WWE Legends Championship?

Given all the former stars they have signed up to contracts, and the various  ex-stars still working on the indy circuit I wonder if they could have the odd Legends match on PPV, pitting two older wrestlers against each other?  Sort of similar to the PGA Seniors tour.  Nobody really expects them to compete with the young stars, but there's still some interest in seeing them wrestle.

I'm thinking of guys like Finlay, or when Steamboat had a couple of matches, or maybe Nash, DDP, Godfather.. those types of guys.  Call it an over 50s title or something.

Just a random idea.

I don't think there'd be much potential in a legends championship, no. But they should take advantage of more of their legends and nostalgic names to give some of them short runs (like the NAO recently) or even just one off appearances to fill up the show whenever RAW's in their hometown or whatever (similar to that angle with Slater a few years ago leading to Sid, Vader etc.). It's not like they can't spare 10-15 minutes on RAW or SD

I'd love one annual PPV with a legends theme though, and featuring some old names in action - similar to what they done with the old school RAWs, or like early Slamboree's.

Edited by Reznor

• Paid Members

Do you think there'd be any mileage in a WWE Legends Championship?

Given all the former stars they have signed up to contracts, and the various  ex-stars still working on the indy circuit I wonder if they could have the odd Legends match on PPV, pitting two older wrestlers against each other?  Sort of similar to the PGA Seniors tour.  Nobody really expects them to compete with the young stars, but there's still some interest in seeing them wrestle.

I'm thinking of guys like Finlay, or when Steamboat had a couple of matches, or maybe Nash, DDP, Godfather.. those types of guys.  Call it an over 50s title or something.

Just a random idea.

Quite a cool idea on paper. Not sure I fancy them to pull it off and certain they'd never do it. Could imagine them putting current guys into title matches or putting the title on younger guys for heat or whatever.

Also, imagining it was real, how would you decide who was the number one contender and stuff without them competing regularly? Not that it would matter to them.

Edited by tiger_rick

I was genuinely gutted for Bobby Heenan when he was kicked out of RAW by Gorilla Monsoon, after everything, his goodbye salute was unbearable. Only such a talent and clearly great guy like Heenan could be a heel his whole time with the WWF and still garner that sort of sympathy.

• Paid Members

There was a tradition in All-Japan for the older guys to stick around, often into their 60s, but wrestle preliminary matches, mostly in 6-man tags. No reason why that couldn't happen.

Edited by Linus