Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

In 1992, WWF should have just gave the main title to ole Hackjaw Jim Duggan! He was unbelievably over when you look back and was in a high-profile feud with big Yoko. He could have dropped it to Yoko, then Yoko could have dropped it to Bret Hart! Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

They should give him the World Heavyweight Championship now. I'd be tempted to watch it and it's not like it means diddly squat. Who wouldn't be curious about Duggan holding that belt?

They could have a gimmick that every match has the same finish, wrestle for about 4 minutes, both go outside, double count-out. Just abuse that double count out finish EVERY PPV. Then a DQ finish against Del Rio at WM30. HOOOOOOOOooooo!!!

I would watch, I love the guy. He sticked a thumb in the air and got a bigger pop then most of the guys. Just a class worker who did as little as possible for the biggest pay-off. And people ate it up. He even got a face pop in Canada while carrying the american flag. I reckon he's be piss easy to work with.

Fuck Davey Richards up his dwarven ass with his poor looking gymnastics, you should wanna be like Jim Duggan.

Edited by 1SinN6

I kind of agree.

But playing Devil's Advocate for a minute, are there any good examples of modern wrestling stars who CAN get by just with a Duggan style? I mean, it's cool that Duggan was able to work the same match in 2009 in WWE as he did in 1987, but that's because he was already over from his heyday.

If Swagger, for example, limited himself to hitting people with a 4X4, and marching around the ring, he'd be laughed at. The closest person I can think of is Ryback.

I kind of agree.

But playing Devil's Advocate for a minute, are there any good examples of modern wrestling stars who CAN get by just with a Duggan style? I mean, it's cool that Duggan was able to work the same match in 2009 in WWE as he did in 1987, but that's because he was already over from his heyday.

If Swagger, for example, limited himself to hitting people with a 4X4, and marching around the ring, he'd be laughed at. The closest person I can think of is Ryback.

I compare him alot to Bad News Brown. Part of their gimmick WAS the fact that they didnt wrestle. Duggan would HOOO and wave a flag and get counted out for brawling, the same as Bad News Brown would be the sore loser who would walk away when things got too heated. Thats what you did with limited workers, gimmick em the fuck up.

Plus, WWE exposed Swagger and Ryback to you already and therefor you KNOW they are geeks who are out there doing theatre. To me, Duggan is STILL the guy with the 4x4 who goes HOOOOOO. You'd have to bring someobody you've never seen. Have him do the gimmick and people will warm to the fact that that is his gimmick.

Take the Masterlock challenge. A pretty stupid gimmick in a world where all is fake. But if you keep it up long enough we would be having a thread with discussions about who's gonna end the 3 year streak.

tl;dr don't put old gimmicks on the new guys.

Edited by 1SinN6

I watched 'The Green Mile' at the weekend and it made me think Vince missed an opportunity with Michael Clarke Duncan.

By the time he sat ringside at WrestleMania 2000 this guy was an Oscar nominee, co-star of a Summer blockbuster and a handful of other successful films, 6' 5" tall, and a massive WWE fan.

713-Michael-Clarke-Duncan-cardiac-arrest-hospitalized-500x343.jpeg

Right up Vince's street, I would have thought.

I don't remember what led to this next photo, but I don't think he ever ended up in the ring despite attending loads of LA events over the years.

6638930.jpg

Also, it's been bugging me for months who Dean Ambrose reminded me off. It's the psycho Prison Officer from the same movie:

Doug-as-Percy-in-The-Green-Mile.jpg

• Paid Members

watched the old WCW home video Feel the Bang last night which is an hour long highlight package of DDP's stuff from between 97-99...it made me realise how much good stuff i missed during the NWO era/Monday night wars WCW. I've gone back and caught up on the main NWO footage but there so much that i missed :(

watched the old WCW home video Feel the Bang last night which is an hour long highlight package of DDP's stuff from between 97-99...it made me realise how much good stuff i missed during the NWO era/Monday night wars WCW. I've gone back and caught up on the main NWO footage but there so much that i missed :(

I've been working through Nitro from 1996 onwards. I'm just before Spring Stampede 1997 and the angle with DDP/NWO is great television. I'd highly recommend that. Dallas is one of those very likeable babyfaces and is just brilliant at what he does.

Mix that with the whole Sting Vs nWo feud throughout 1997 and it's a great year of television.

Also the whole Cruiserweight divison is at its peak in 1997.

• Paid Members

Just found this in a 1962 British wrestling program. Looks like Monsoon and Hayes weren't the first to start the public references.

In spite of recent public health scares about smoking, Gorgeous Terry Garvin, the cigar-puffing glamour boy from America, is rarely seen without an oversized specimen stuck between his teeth, especially just before he goes into the ring.
Edited by JNLister

I was just listening to an old Review a Wai where Jimmy Hart told a story of Hogan and him meeting Simon Cowell in '94 to do a cover of "Leader of the Gang" for a UK release. I'd have loved for that to have existed, if only for a video that, in all probability, would have featured Hogan grabbing Gary Glitter in a headlock as children stood around and cheered.

• Paid Members
I was just listening to an old Review a Wai where Jimmy Hart told a story of Hogan and him meeting Simon Cowell in '94 to do a cover of "Leader of the Gang" for a UK release. I'd have loved for that to have existed, if only for a video that, in all probability, would have featured Hogan grabbing Gary Glitter in a headlock as children stood around and cheered.

Ahem

Ahem

Outstanding work.

Is it me or did Josh Matthews turn heel for about the last 10 minutes of Smackdown this week, he started ragging Cole about nut hugging Cena, saying "You are like JR was with Austin.......STONE COLD, STONE COLD" in a mocking voice.

Then closed the show by saying there will definitely be a new champion at Extreme Rules in Ryback.

Caught me on the hop as i've never known him voice an opinion of any note.

• Paid Members

Watched Mick Foley's new DVD last night and was a bit taken back to see Shane Douglas pop up as a talking head. Didn't he get booted out of Raw last year for causing a stir in the crowd? Heart of gold, that Vince McMahon.