Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
How legitimate is that story that JR went as far in his negotiations with them as to say that he wanted the talent relations role?

Honest answer, I don't know.

Cheers for posting. All the time.

Whoa, what's that about? I thought he was asking me that question.

• Paid Members

You're spreading yourself so thin you're clingfilm at this point. Reading on topic at the moment seems to be a set routine of you stating something then having to retreat from your position either due to someone contradicting you or you not having the strength of your convictions. Pick your spots Carb.

• Paid Members
You're spreading yourself so thin you're clingfilm at this point. Reading on topic at the moment seems to be a set routine of you stating something then having to retreat from your position either due to someone contradicting you or you not having the strength of your convictions. Pick your spots Carb.

Examples, please. The above was not one - I said I didn't know how legit the report was, I didn't say I didn't believe it wasn't, as I followed up.

I just re-watched the Great American Bash from 1989 and had to mention how good Lex Luger was in his match with Ricky Steamboat. I know The Dragon has a reputation for making guys look great, but this wasn't a total carry job. Luger wrestled very smoothly, was always in the right place at the right time and had some great heel mannerisms. Compare that with many of the Luger-sized guys of today and he seemed every bit the Total Package. It's a shame he seemed to lose the motivation during his WCW title run a few years later.

• Moderators

Luger was fucking GREAT during that period. I don't see where all this "Luger is shite" bullshit comes from, when 1988-1991 proves otherwise.

You know what else is a great fun match? Him vs Dan Spivey from Wrestle War '91. Check it out.

Luger was fucking GREAT during that period. I don't see where all this "Luger is shite" bullshit comes from, when 1988-1991 proves otherwise.

You know what else is a great fun match? Him vs Dan Spivey from Wrestle War '91. Check it out.

Yes! You are absolutely right - another really good Luger match. Both of them wrestled like they had something to prove, and the finish was pretty clever too. While we are talking about that match, Nikita Kolloff looks amazing in his white suit during the post match angle.

• Paid Members
Essa Rios faced a bunch of folk around that time. I remember Samoa Joe and Low Ki.

Didn't Ki land himself in the weird WWE doghouse because during the match he got himself over?

I'm sure I read that somewhere at the time.

The U.S title match wasnt it?

Awesome match,infact awesome show all round

NWA/WCW from 88/92 gets me moist

Does it for me too. I've got a full set of PPVs and Clash of the Champions from 1987 through to 1994 when Hogan arrived, which I am very slowly working my way through, in chronological order while reading the Wrestling Observers from the time. It makes for fascinating viewing. Some of the wrestling is superb.

• Paid Members
In what year did Jericho use the "Evenflow" rip-off for his entrance theme?

It was 1998, was it not?

If you care about the exact year, it was 1997. Some point between Road Wild and Fall Brawl.

350x.jpg

Seeing this on Saturday, thought it looked quite cool.

And it prompted a question - has there ever been a masked black wrestler? I can't immediately think of one apart from Doom I guess.

I'd find a ante-bellum style masked black monster pretty intimidating, as I'm sure many white Americans would.

Virgil wore something just like Ba's there in 92 when Sid fucked his wrestling superstar face up. Mountie even walloped the poor sod with his own mask in that match at Sheffield Arena.

Sorry Loki, I know that's not really a proper answer, but I love it when wrestlers are treated so unsympathetically in angles that it just becomes funny at their expense. Zack Ryder's plights this time last year spring to mind.