Ricky Knight and family on tv

SuperstarNeilC

I equally part loved and hated the documentary.

The Knight family come across as a really loving family, oddballs but very loving.

The brief foray into behind the scenes of a wrestling show, showed quite a few out of shape guys wearing not very professional looking get up. The clips of wrestling action are in front of such small crowds. This might make the general public think that this is the case with every company in the UK, when many companies do have really good professional looking set ups and big crowds.

I think Brittani Knight is as deserving as any other women wrestler they've signed. WWE don't tend to want completely packaged wrestlers, they like being able to mold them into a creation of their own! With her age and talent I think she will go far.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the above poster there is no need to wait. Watch here http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-wre...h-my-family/4od

• Paid Members
I thought the girl was arrogant and annoying. Banging on about wanting a plane with her name on it etc. I get that she's young, but I can't help but feel there are more deserving girls out there somewhere with their priorities in check.

tumblr_lz24x3gZcK1r9prsfo1_500.gif

• Paid Members

There's no such thing as "not deserving it". There are a million girls with blonde hair and big tits about. Britani Knight has pale skin, black hair, has a good natural body on her and a British accent and is quite attractive. Thats a completely different look to, say, Kelly Kelly. If they want a manipulative, British heel witch type girl (like they tried to do with Katie Lea Burchill), you aren't going to find that in a Hooters in Florida. Did Kelly Kelly deserve her job after being found in a catalog? Did Layla deserve it winning a divas contest? Did Kharma deserve it after assaulting someone in her previous job and generally being completely weird? Did Miss Elizabeth deserve it due to her being married to Randy Savage? If WWE like her and see her in a role on their TV, than she deserves it. Its a TV show after all. The best kind of character has to fit the role. Not the best wrestler or hardest working or whatever.

As far as the documentary goes, I really enjoyed it. Seemed like a nice and normal working class family. Charming in a lot of ways. Loved Ricky Knights wedding photo. He has the tashe and the blonde hair tied back. Looks like a proper late 80s wrestler (which is always good). I can't see why Saraya thought they'd come off bad in it (according to her interview recently). I just saw a bunch of real people, in a real house, looking out for each other. Good on them. I think there is a lot of potential in a series. Saraya is a big personality and never seemed to shut up during the whole show, which is appealing when watching an hour long reality style show. We didn't see as much of Ricky Knight and Zebra Kid, which could be the subject of new episodes if they make a series. And Zak seems like a great kid. He stole it for me. I know it was built as being all about Britani Knight before the show, but he was the most interesting one out of the lot. There was a lot of question marks about him at the end, and if you were a viewer who liked it, you wouldn't mind following up on it.

The Telegraph gave it a good review.

The Wrestlers: Fighting with My Family, Channel 4, review

Michael Deacon reviews The Wrestlers: Fighting with My Family, a Channel 4 documentary following a clan trying to make it big in the ring.

Last night on Channel 4 I saw something unique. It was an adaptation of a novel that hasn’t yet been written, or even planned. The Wrestlers: Fighting with My Family (Channel 4) was billed as a documentary, but the producers weren’t fooling me. Quite obviously they’d harnessed time travel to purloin and then adapt some future urban satire by Martin Amis.

Anyone who’s read Amis’s latest novel, Lionel Asbo, or such predecessors as London Fields, Yellow Dog and The Information, will have instantly recognised his favourite themes. Cartoonish working-class violence. Beer-bellied toughs with faces like bull mastiffs’. Improbable names. Wistful dreams of monstrous wealth and celebrity. And, here and there, peeking out from under the profanity and machismo, moments of dewy sentimentality, invariably focused on the young.

“Rowdy” Ricky Knight, to give him his stage name, is a wrestler who lives on a council estate in Norwich with his wife, also a wrestler, and his children, also wrestlers. (“The little ones are the future,” explained the voice-over. One of the “little ones” is 6’4” and 17 stone. He’s 21, and has wrestled since he was six, the same age at which he devised his stage name, Zak Zodiac.)

In his youth, “Rowdy” Ricky did eight years in prison; he said this was “mainly for violence”. Well, at least he’s put his talents to good use. Today he runs local wrestling nights, but for his children he has a grander ambition: America. (Of course it’s America. In Amisland, everyone yearns for America.)

Over there, wrestling means money, serious money, via the pantomime brutality of World Wrestling Entertainment, or WWE. Dutifully, “Rowdy” Ricky’s children flew out to audition. Poor Zak Zodiac was rejected, on the grounds that, as he glumly put it, “I don’t have abs and my shoulders aren’t touching my ears.”

But there was better news for his younger sister, 18-year-old Saraya: she was signed on the spot. Perhaps considering her name insufficiently exotic, Saraya wrestles as “Britani”, pronounced the same way as the popular ferry destination. She is inexplicably pretty, which may have helped her cause with the WWE selectors. “She’s money in merchandise,” said her mother, proudly.

Amusing, vivid and at times strangely touching, the documentary wasn’t really about wrestling at all: it was about family. Zak’s helpless envy of, but also admiration for, Saraya; their mother’s desolation at the thought of her muscle-bound babies flying the nest; their father’s gruff delight in their efforts.

At the end, the remaining Knights crowded around their TV to watch little Saraya make her WWE debut. The scene could hardly have been more Amis-esque. “You can really see the English influence, can’t you?” beamed Mum, as their daughter kneed an opponent in the jaw. “Yeah,” nodded Dad, as Saraya stamped on someone’s windpipe. “She’s a woman now.”

I really enjoyed the show I thought the Knights came across very down to earth and genuine people with no airs or graces, like most true Brit's and it was refreshing to see people like that on TV instead of likes of the Only Way is Essex etc.

I'm not sure how British wrestling came across whether it was in a good way or not, the fact that its had some TV attention at all is great in my opinion. As long as fans on here and fans of wrestling all over the UK love and support British wrestling then who cares how it came across to they outside non-wrestling fan world. I was glad to read at the end of the show that Ricky's promotion began drawing more and long may it continue. I've never had the oppotunity to meet Ricky or his family but they seem like the kind of people we want leading wrestling in the UK, you got a real sense of the passion they have for the business.

I really hope this gets turned into a series, I think this could be a brilliant way to shine some much needed spotlight on British wrestling. In the 80's the business entertained millions across the UK before it was pushed to one side, I think its more than justified that British wrestling perhaps even in a small way gets some attention once again put on it by the TV companies in the England.

On a side note we should be proud of Britani Knight getting signed to the WWE, its proving that the UK does have talent and we can stand up with the likes of America, Japan, Mexico and Canada. Britani has so much potential, I see her in a similar way to Katie Lea/Nikkita/Winter who for a period of time made a healthy Impact on womans wrestling in America and there's no reason Britani couldn't do the same. She's doing England and her family proud and we should give her our full support.

I really enjoyed the show I thought the Knights came across very down to earth and genuine people with no airs or graces, like most true Brit's and it was refreshing to see people like that on TV instead of likes of the Only Way is Essex etc.

I'm not sure how British wrestling came across whether it was in a good way or not, the fact that its had some TV attention at all is great in my opinion. As long as fans on here and fans of wrestling all over the UK love and support British wrestling then who cares how it came across to they outside non-wrestling fan world. I was glad to read at the end of the show that Ricky's promotion began drawing more and long may it continue. I've never had the oppotunity to meet Ricky or his family but they seem like the kind of people we want leading wrestling in the UK, you got a real sense of the passion they have for the business.

I really hope this gets turned into a series, I think this could be a brilliant way to shine some much needed spotlight on British wrestling. In the 80's the business entertained millions across the UK before it was pushed to one side, I think its more than justified that British wrestling perhaps even in a small way gets some attention once again put on it by the TV companies in the England.

On a side note we should be proud of Britani Knight getting signed to the WWE, its proving that the UK does have talent and we can stand up with the likes of America, Japan, Mexico and Canada. Britani has so much potential, I see her in a similar way to Katie Lea/Nikkita/Winter who for a period of time made a healthy Impact on womans wrestling in America and there's no reason Britani couldn't do the same. She's doing England and her family proud and we should give her our full support.

Nikkita isn't from the UK though?

• Paid Members

What the fucking shit is that? Take that flag from around your shoulders, it's wreeeeeestling, not Vera Lynn warbling "The White Cliffs of Dover" up Hitler's arse. I started bolding stuff, but eventually got sick of it, and just bolded the entire bag of shit you unloaded on the forum. Then, I thought maybe I was being harsh, till I saw "True Brit's" [sic] - I think I blacked out for a moment, actually, it was that shit.

Yeah. You're an idiot. And going from your comments before the show you were watching this just wanting them to look bad and were just waiting to pick up on anything you could, so it's no surprise this is the interpretation you're coming away with.

What comments exactly, or are you just spouting out random nonsense yourself now, because it looks like that. Look through the thread and feel free to come back to me because I think you'll find you're in the wrong. The only thing I can see which could be interpreted as me wanting them to look bad was a reference to expecting grot before it started. And when you have a programme opening up with toothless fans shouting and ending with some big fat lout spanking his own belly, with dogs rolling in dead rabbits somewhere in the middle I was hardly wrong now was I. And you'll notice I commented on how one person came across, not on the programme itself.

You'd of been better of posting a GIF to hide behind the fact you don't really have a point.

Excellent program about very genuine people. I went to a couple of WAW shows while on holiday and the Knights were very helpfull when I was with my disabled wife and quite full on children. I was glad to see this backed up on the show. Great stuff.

Yeah. You're an idiot. And going from your comments before the show you were watching this just wanting them to look bad and were just waiting to pick up on anything you could, so it's no surprise this is the interpretation you're coming away with.

What comments exactly, or are you just spouting out random nonsense yourself now, because it looks like that. Look through the thread and feel free to come back to me because I think you'll find you're in the wrong. The only thing I can see which could be interpreted as me wanting them to look bad was a reference to expecting grot before it started. And when you have a programme opening up with toothless fans shouting and ending with some big fat lout spanking his own belly, with dogs rolling in dead rabbits somewhere in the middle I was hardly wrong now was I. And you'll notice I commented on how one person came across, not on the programme itself.

You'd of been better of posting a GIF to hide behind the fact you don't really have a point.

You conveniently left out the first half of Chest's post. You know, the part that actually did address your comment and showed you to be wrong.

You call her arrogant for wanting a jet with her name on it, making it sound as if she was making demands to people. She's a 19yr old lass excited over landing her dream job and talking about her dreams. You're a cynical windbag, and your 'retort' to Chest just compounds that.

Archived