The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I'm split on it really. I won't miss him, to be honest. I've never really felt like he's actually added anything to the show. He's just always been there because he was one of Dana's boys. He's not really that good. Keeping him around for some weird nostalgia reason seems silly to me. The problem though is who are they going to replace him with? It could be someone worse. Like that fool off Strikeforce, Gus something, who stood like a deer in the headlights when that Diaz/Mayhem brawl kicked off - "Gentlemen, don't do that. We're on national television".

What helped Goldberg was that although he wasn't the best announcer, he had great chemistry with Rogan. He's still making cock ups as recently as this month when, after the biggest win of her career, he called Michelle Waterson 'Michelle Waterman'. If they're planning on fucking Rogan off too then I hope they just make Anik and Stann the main team. With maybe Cormier doing more work on the Fight Nights and stuff. I hope they're not just planning to bring in two ex weathermen or Baseball commentators or something. It might make the show look more professional but I'm picturing the announcing to sound like an MMA version of Art Donovan at King Of The Ring 94.

khBzN.jpg

"How much does this guy weigh?"

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Rome is the rumoured replacement. He is someone whose name I have heard mentioned often, but I don't actually know that much about him. My lasting memory of him was a verbal joust he had with the NBA's David Stern, where Rome questioned Stern about rigging the NBA draft. Stern was clearly miffed about the comment. 

I hope they mix things up. Ideally, I would want them to promote someone established like Stann or Anik to the PPV events as a safety net, and twin him with a fresh voice. The latter would provide something new. The UFC's owners won't go for this, but I would love for the new team to follow the style that Bas and Quadros had in Pride.However, given the UFC's owners aren't keen on the current line up's approach to commentary due to its hyperbolic nature, I guess they want more of a straight talking sports approach, which is perfectly understandable. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, wand. It's been my biggest fear too. You only have to watch that Skip Bayless shite from the last FOX show to see how uneducated the general sports world is about MMA - and that Skip creep is on the UFC network.

Although it would be fun listening to Rogan slowly lose the plot correcting their nonsense during the action.

Yeah, wand. It's been my biggest fear too. You only have to watch that Skip Bayless shite from the last FOX show to see how uneducated the general sports world is about MMA - and that Skip creep is on the UFC network.

Bayless has become a bit like Chael Sonnen. He used to be an entertaining listen, but he has become a parody of himself in recent times. I think he only started following MMA this past year. He's running before he can walk when he passes of opinions on it. 

• Paid Members

I meant to mention my disdain when Bayless popped up on a UFC show recently. I can't stomach that prick. He was unbearable in that six years of build up to the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight. Biggest Pacquiao arselicker outside the Philippines easy. I remember him nearly crying and being in total denial when Marquez knocked Pacquiao out as well. He's an embarrassment.

Max Kellerman is another guy being mentioned, Dana said they have been wanting this guy for years (whoever it is) and Kellerman would have been the commentator for the UFC when they were rumoured to be signing a deal with HBO about a decade ago, he also said he wants it to be his "dream team" with Rogan as the other half and in his scrum he said it would be July, so I expect Jon Anik to jump in and replace him just now and John Gooden to do more fight nights.

Does Kellerman have any interest in MMA? Thought he was boxing through and through.

He knows enough about it, he replaced Skip Bayless on ESPN and they were talking UFC 205 and he knew Khabib and seemed to know a little about it.

The way Dana is saying is the new guy will start in July so plenty of time to learn more about the sport, whoever it is unless it's a guy already in the sport.

Max also does ESPN's First Take show on weekdays, and I think he still his own radio show. I can't see him adding even more to his schedule. I also can't see him leaving HBO to make room for the UFC gig. Max can be a complete pillock when interviewing boxers after fights, and he does have a face that you just want to smack, but I find his opinions reasonable most of the time. 

Archived