Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good result for Bristol City tonight against an excellent Watford team.

Pat, genuinely, do you see any improvement under the new manager?

I've not seen them yet to comment, to be fair. Meant to be at Blackburn on Saturday, but depends on if am going to both PCW shows or not.

From what I understand, we are more organised, the players know what their roles are, and are well briefed as opposed to rabbits in headlights under Del. This is a major plus! No Albert as he is away at the ACoN means that we were always going to have to change the way we have played anyway and that will have also contributed to things.

Having not seen them under O'Driscoll. I can't say whether is Dead Cat Bounce/new manager effect or is something more sustained at this juncture. We are still 4 points behind safety with afaik, our game in hand now played. So need two more wins to overhaul Ipswich to get out of the relegation places. It's still a tall order, but I'm happy that we are finally getting the basics right. Watford made 6 changes last night including not starting with Vydra, which I assume has to be due to rotation, due to a number of games in a number of days or underestimating us. He is on fire and has ripped several teams apart this season. However, didnt come on til the 2nd half, I think.

Some of the more cynical people I've spoken to have said that a resurgent Louis Carey, is down to him coming up to breaking the all time appearances record, a possible contract renewal and new manager syndrome. He has long been lauded in some quarters as being a troublemaker. This is in terms of not playing and getting others to not play to their potential and get managers sacked. Most notably people refer to GJ after the Plymouth incident where GJ apparently struck one of our players. However some have said this applies equally to Del, where Louis wasnt 'up for it' so made sure that no one else was. I dont know where or how they get their reasoning from, but basically they believe Louis only shows an up turn in form when there is something in it for him (end of last season, new contract), hence the resurgence now if they are to be believed.

But yeah, I'am enjoying the winning and not conceding thing. There's a glimmer of hope we may stay up this season, which considering where we were is nothing short of miraculous!

• Paid Members
Any specifics Seph?

Pat pretty much nailed it. There's absolutely room for improvement, but - again - fewer changes for no reason will work much better in the long run. Out of the people that didn't feature last night - as Pat said, again - the only real question mark will be Albert's role. It sucks that Ryan Taylor maybe done for the season but in truth he's been as inconsistent as the rest of the team, and quite a few of the others don't warrant a mention in the future unless injuries strike. I even forgot about Lewin Nyatanga before he came on in stoppage and he's in the latter category.

Last night was by no means all puppies and rainbows, though - the conditions were horrid, both teams were garbage at different times and thankfully the first goal (which I missed thanks to Dullmoan traffic :angry:) came almost out of nowhere and the confidence changed completely. Watford had two sitters, and either one of those going in would've lead to a completely different game. Blackburn on Saturday could be that game, who knows?

Seems my prediction for my team Stevenage may be mostly accurate. After losing the majority of our squad in the summer, Gary Smith was tasked with building an entire squad on next to no budget. To have built a decent

League One side on that is a good achievement although many of Boro's fans, spoilt for success, don't see it entirely that way.

We finally won at home midweek after six games without a win but we narrowly lost to Carlisle yesterday. Think we're 14th - I'll take that come seasons end.

Of course, when building an entire squad, it's natural that some will succeed and some won't, so next season is the real challenge as Smith can alter his initial team.

Gary Smith's a good manager. He's one of the few completely foreign guys to go to the US and be very successful, as most foreigners played or coached over there first. If he's left to go and get his players, I think that over the long haul he'll get more good than bad.

• Paid Members
Everybody's favourite lovable Fascist and Mussolini admirer has resigned as Swindon boss. If he comes to Coventry, which he won't, I can't support them. Think he is Premiership or Championship bound?

He was a kick up the ass to a team that needed a kick up the ass. He'll get work before long.

• Paid Members

As a Wolves fan I've pretty much avoided this thread, in fact I've started to pretty much avoid football as a whole this season, it's killing me.

It's possibly the first time as a Wolves fan I've felt so dejected and angry that I beginning to not care at all, I never thought I'd say that about my beoved Wolves, alas, things really have turned so sour at Molineux I've lost all faith in the team, the management and football as a whole.

The season started on a great positive for me, we had a new manager (Solbakken) that was going to bring new ideas and a new approach to a team that played the most horrid football I'd seen in McCarthy's final year in charge, yes he'd fucked up at Cologne, but the infighting there was abhorrent and he was trying to place a rudder on a rudderless ship that was moving at a frantic pace. At Wolves, in the end, he was doing the same.

Solbakken brought in some decent players. Sako is a mid-table Prem player, and will do well next season for the likes of Stoke or Villa (if they stay up) hell I'd see him fitting well into a Newcastle side. Doumbia WAS a great signing also, playing good charging football from the middle and leading many amongst the press to laud him as the Toure of the Championship. Peszko and Boukari also looked half decent, and seemed good sturdy replacements for Jarvis and Kightly, with Peszko looking thge more solid of the two apart from maybe his finishing. Sigurdarson was still coping with fitness, but the rave reviews from Scandinavia had us all chomping at the bit to see his skills utilised.

Then it all went wrong.

A rear guard player revolt occurred, Karl Henry and Roger Johnson seemingly leading the charge and the rot that set in during our final Prem season spread fast. It took injuries to Boukari and Peszko to tip the balance of the starting XI to 'Old Lot' from 'New Lot' and by Christ did that rot kick in, and by Christ did the 'Old Lot' seem to be sadistically enjoying watching their manager with ideas they weren't comfortable with recoil with fear and revert to McCarthy style shite.

Albion fan's label of our fans as Dingles became wholly justified as the ignorant amongst us (the majority it seems) bit and latched on to the theory Solbakeen was a dolt, and they turned too.

Steve Morgan (Chairman) and Moxey (Fat Cunting Pie Eating CEO) also began losing faith as January approached. It lead to a moronic sacking of a manager with a three year plan who had little to no time to truly implement said plan with rotting corpses of players and the hiring of Dean bleeding Saunders, the man who took over a struggling Championship team before, and lead them down with ease. It struck mine and many other Wolves fans minds that they were hiring a Manager with League One experince rather than Championship level. We were preparing to go down and hopefully come back up again ... ever so slightly bordering on the realms of backwardness I'm sure you'd agree.

Now, we have the Wrexham connection working their magic (all our backroom staff have their links, even Morgan was seen at Wrexham many a time with his 'mates' with weak Liverpool connections) and it's the most dour magic I've seen, worse than my cousin who does kids parties.

We're in utter freefall as a club, a team that truly does not give a shit as long as they earn their weekly wage and playing football of such a poor standard season ticket holders I know (they have been for decades) aren't renewing for the next term, a chairman who is milking the Wolves land for all it's worth, building houses at major profit and lining his own pockets, selling good players for the same purpose and will no doubt walk when things get even more sticky and his cash cow is running dry.

January should have been the time to further Solbakken's restructure, he should have been allowed to sell the shite, bring in some talent (he had three to four signings lined up by all accounts) and promote the youth coming through.

Our youth is extremely good, Batth at CB is great, Kostrna at RB looks highly promising, Cassidy's goals have helped Tranmere's promotion push (He's now back from loan and warming our bench behind a Ebanks-Blake who is woeful) Zeli Ismail should have been pushed as well as others like McAlinden upfront. Them combined with the likes of Sako and Sigurdarson could have rejuvinated a team that is full of people who don't give a shit.

Alas, Saunders is sticking to the tripe, even exiling the Solbakken foreigners (minus Sako) to the bench and we're destined for League One next year.

I'm at a loss.

Archived