Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

I've got to say I'm absolutely delighted with the players Sean O'Driscoll has signed for Forest over the summer....

* Adlene Guedioura.

* Danny Collins.

* Dan Harding.

* Greg Halford.

* Simon Gillett.

* Simon Cox.

* Henri Lansbury.

* Billy Sharp (loan with a view to permanent).

* Daniel Ayala (loan).

* Sam Hutchinson (loan).

* James Coppinger (loan).

Add that to some good Championship level players in the likes of Lee Camp, Chris Cohen, Lewis McGugan, Andy Reid, Raddy Majewski, Dexter Blackstock, etc and I think we're in for a good season. Just a shame we lost the likes of Garath McCleary, Chris Gunter and Joel Lynch in all the uncertainty before the takeover was completed.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I've got to say I'm absolutely delighted with the players Sean O'Driscoll has signed for Forest over the summer....

* Dan Harding.

You won't be saying that when he looks like a rabbit in headlights when he faces any winger with pace, or a winger who is bigger than him and starts bottling challenges and costing you goals. In his defence he is a very good passer of the ball and has a decent cross on him but he is much too lightweight to be a decent Championship full back. He totally bottled it in Southamptons game against us at the Amex last season, got booked early, was lucky not to be shown a second yellow before Adkins correctly subbed him off before half time.

Goodwillie will do a good job for Palace, ignore the fact that some of our fans have named him David Badtodger. He just needs a regular run in a team and he'll probably score for fun in the Championship. Can't play upfront by himself but with a pacy strike partner or winger like Zaha to provide him with chances he will do well.

Really?

I can't see where you come to that conclusion, ive never seen a forward offer so little for Rovers, sure Kean will never be the man to get the best out of anyone, but Goodwillie is just down right bad.

* Dan Harding.

You won't be saying that when he looks like a rabbit in headlights when he faces any winger with pace, or a winger who is bigger than him and starts bottling challenges and costing you goals. In his defence he is a very good passer of the ball and has a decent cross on him but he is much too lightweight to be a decent Championship full back. He totally bottled it in Southamptons game against us at the Amex last season, got booked early, was lucky not to be shown a second yellow before Adkins correctly subbed him off before half time.

I've got to say he's the signing I've been least convinced by so far. He's been caught out a couple of times and seems reluctant to use his weaker foot, which has put him in trouble. It's still early days though. Perhaps a few bollockings from Collins might sort him out.

Barnsley 1 - 0 Bristol City

My first home game of the season due to my broken finger and subsequent end of cricket season. A game of three thirds rather than two halves. For the first fifteen minutes, Bristol battered us. Completely overran us in midfield and Stead and Baldock looked busy up front. But then Craig Davies hit a post and it sparked us into life. Hassell and Mellis combined well in the middle and Davies was looking dangerous. True to form though, we went in at half time scoreless as we never seem to get a goal when on top. But somehow this carried on for the first 10 minutes of the second half, with Mellis banging in a beauty of a header from Martin Cranie's cross. I was sat right where the cross came from and it bent away from the keeper just perfectly. Great header too. But then this midle third came to an abrupt end when Bobby Hassell committed a terror tackle on Stead and was rightly sent off. This gave Bristol the momentum for the last half hour and they battered us. Woodful(I think) controlled the midfield and subsitue Davies (again I think) looked as dangerous as fuck up front. But the equaliser never came. Brizzle hit the bar from a free kick and some geezer kept heading crosses wide. We could have scored on the break though, but Big Marlon Harewood couldn't shoot in a condom.

The final score was probably a little harsh on the visitors but there we go, we'll take it. We're 13th, and if we're 13th in May I'll be delirious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Thanks for Elmohamady, Sunderland. I love you after all.

First time you've beaten us in my recent memory. We were absolutely dire last night. I feel so sorry for Warnock, he's been completely fucked over by Bates.

Thought I'd reply in here.

First time we've won at Elland Road for 25 years. We beat you at home in 2005/06. Not got a great record against TWS!

We were excellent again last night. Look a frighteningly good side at the moment. The bump back down to earth can only be round the corner. Thought Roger East was abysmal. The penalty was never in the area. Can't believe Byram didn't get anything for going in high on Faye and then he bottled it when Pearce took Aluko out.

Defensively, you were shocking. Don't have a lot in midfield to worry anyone, understandable given that Snodgrass, Gradel, Howson and Johnson have been lost in the last year and a bit. Austin looks a great player but he's on his own. Was impressed with our defence because Diouf and Becchio looked dangerous to start with but we soon reigned them in. The kid Poleon was lightning when he came on. I thought he was going to get you back in it.

* Dan Harding.

I've got to say he's the signing I've been least convinced by so far. He's been caught out a couple of times and seems reluctant to use his weaker foot, which has put him in trouble. It's still early days though. Perhaps a few bollockings from Collins might sort him out.

Speaking as a Saints fan, he was great for us in League 1, but got caught out a lot in the championship

Coventry City have appointed former Rotherham United and Barnsley boss Mark Robins as their new manager.

Manchester-born Robins, 42, has signed a three-year deal at the Sky Blues.

Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley, the Sky Blues' caretaker management team, will now revert to their respective roles as assistant manager and first team coach.

"This is a great opportunity. There is a lot to be done and I'll get straight to work with the players and backroom staff," said Robins.

"Coventry is a club with great tradition and, although we find ourselves in League One, the squad that has been assembled is better than the results so far have shown.

"I'm relishing the opportunity to turn things round and bring better times for the Sky Blues' supporters."

Development director Steve Waggott added: "While we understand the supporters' anxiety over recent results, this was an appointment that simply couldn't be rushed.

"In fact, considering the thoroughness of the process, we are pleased that within three weeks we have been able to whittle down 75 candidates to the one outstanding man for the job and that was Mark, who was categorically our first choice."

Coventry, relegated from the Championship in April, currently sit second from bottom in League One, above Bury on goal difference - their lowest position in 53 years.

Andy Thorn was sacked on 26 August, having started the season with three draws. But they have since suffered four straight defeats under Shaw, who was one of three candidates (along with Robins and Paul Ince) on the Sky Blues' final three-man shortlist.

"Whoever comes in has got a big job on their hands," said Shaw after Tuesday night's 4-1 hammering at Shrewsbury. "If you can get it right here, nobody knows what this club might be capable of.

"I don't know why the players are scared to go on the pitch and play because, training-wise, they're good.

"Being only caretaker manager, you can't lay down what you want to lay down in terms of discipline. You need stability. And there's not a lot you can do, stood on the sidelines."

Best known in his playing days as a young Manchester United striker, Robins began his managerial career at relegation-threatened Rotherham in March 2007, winning three of his first six games as caretaker boss after replacing Alan Knill.

But then, after his appointment was confirmed, they failed to win any of their last five games and went down.

After leading The Millers to ninth in League Two the following season, he had them on course for the play-offs a year later until financial problems forced them into administration and a 17-point penalty.

After leaving for South Yorkshire neighbours Barnsley, Robins failed to have the same sort of success two divisions higher and has been out of management since quitting the Tykes at the end of the 2010-11 season.

Since then, has had a consultancy role with the Premier League, working on their Player Performance Plan structure.

We have been dreadful this season, hopefully this will turn things around. Yes I've said that with all 138 new managers in the last 10 years.

Rather bizarre situation unfolded over the past couple of days at blackburn as the owners attempted to sack steve kean only for steve kean to refuse to go and he went back into running The training sessions.

The local mp tweeted about it.

Graham Jones ‏@GrahamJones_MP

Reliable source says Kean sacked last night. Refused to go. Bizarely came in & took training today. Confusion all round. #brfc

What kind of contract(power) must he have to be able to overrule his own sacking?

"You're FIRED!!"

"No i'm not"

"Sorry? What?"

"I'm off to train the lads, bye"

"ummmm"

Apparently alan shearer is the man the owners want to replace kean with.

• Paid Members

Right so, he wins fuck all games but they insist they're sticking with him, the fans protest for months but they still insist they're sticking with him, he gets them relegated and they still insist they're sticking with him and now he appears to be slowly turning things around with a couple of decent signings and a good few games won and they want to get rid of him? The Venky's are fucking lunatics, they seem intent on destroying the club.

Their conduct over the past few weeks would suggest that Kean could well have an excellent claim for constructive dismissal. From all we've seen and heard, they tried to sack him. The only way he doesn't actually leave is that there's no grounds for the termination of his contract. His position is untenable, he's been deliberately undermined and as such he can resign and subsequently file for constructive dismissal. He'll get his contract paid up and likely some sort of damages for distress. If Venky's were smart, which they aren't, they'd very quickly pay him off. What they'll do instead is go to tribunal and waste lots of the club's money.

• Paid Members

The guy is a fraud. Never heard any manager spout so much bullshit in my life. Thought his arrival was hilarious because it fucked over Allardyce. Wasn't a joke for Blackburn fans.

Disappointed he's gone though. Blackburn have a great squad. Only thing likely to hold them back was him.

Archived