Sign in to follow this  
kendal mint cake

The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

13 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Congrats, Monkee! But I want to hear more about this: 

What was this job??

I was working for a retail analysis company - still doing marketing/editorial/graphic design/social media but it was a big corporate. I went from it just being me to managing 3 people for no more money. Then 2 left and never got replaced so I was doing their work too. I kept asking either for help or for more money and they wouldn’t give me either. I was doing 14/16-hour days, had no social life, came home on a Friday, didn’t go out again until Monday.

The crunch came when an old friend from home took his life and I just crumbled. I was signed off for 3 months but I had to go back to work at 3 months otherwise my pay halved. Their way of then ‘easing me back into work’ was to take away everything I’d worked for over 8 years of being there. My assistant was now going into all the strategy meetings and making decisions. I was left with formatting PPTs and uploading blog posts to the website.

So eventually I got another job and I left my manager, me ex-manager and the head of the department with a farewell email telling them it was no thanks to them that I wasn’t sectioned (or worse) and I hoped they got management and mental health training before something worse happened in the future.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Go on @Monkee!!!! Congrats and keep it COYS

Met Hugo yesterday. He’s so lovely! Wanted to get a photo but he was being pulled from pillar to post doing interviews and stuff. Jenna was very cool though, chatted to her about the hospice for ages and got a photo. We might get the full women’s team up for a tour sometime too. COYS indeed!

Any freelance graphic designers looking for some ongoing piece/project work? The charity I work for is looking to expand its team of designers and I know we have some on here so thought I'd reach out.

Went for a post PGCE job interview today to be told essentially my lesson wasn't good enough for the ability they need and that my content isn't strong enough to teach. 

Which is great when I've been placed in a grammar school with much higher ability students than this job for my new placement and I don't think I have the ability to teach that now. 

Nothing like having your confidence in everything you've been doing absolutely demolished in the first month in 2020 and being in a school and university that seemingly is setting you up to fail because they know you can talk but struggle with the background. 

Needed to ramble here as all my teacher friends are doing the stereotypical "it'll be better next time" now they've all landed their post degree jobs. 

On 1/22/2020 at 11:32 AM, Monkee said:

Any freelance graphic designers looking for some ongoing piece/project work? The charity I work for is looking to expand its team of designers and I know we have some on here so thought I'd reach out.

@John Matrix Might be the person you need to speak to there.

11 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

@John Matrix Might be the person you need to speak to there.

Already on it. He was the first one I messaged.

2 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Went for a post PGCE job interview today to be told essentially my lesson wasn't good enough for the ability they need and that my content isn't strong enough to teach. 

Which is great when I've been placed in a grammar school with much higher ability students than this job for my new placement and I don't think I have the ability to teach that now. 

Nothing like having your confidence in everything you've been doing absolutely demolished in the first month in 2020 and being in a school and university that seemingly is setting you up to fail because they know you can talk but struggle with the background. 

Needed to ramble here as all my teacher friends are doing the stereotypical "it'll be better next time" now they've all landed their post degree jobs. 

Interviews are learning experiences as much as they are job opportunities. If you got this post then there would be 20 others feeling how you do now.  I know nothing about teaching but it sounds like they’ve given you some constructive feedback which is more than most get from an interview. It’s a big ask but try not to beat yourself up about it, use what they’ve said, apply it and go in to your next round of interviews/applications more confident and better prepared. You’ve come through far worse than one knock back from an interview. 

2 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Use that next placement to build yourself up, because even if you don't feel like you can do it now the placement is there to help you get there.  Also, places will still be hiring into the summer term once those Easter resignations go in.

So in the post a pic thread I posted a fully shaved photo of myself and the reason for this is I have an interview tomorrow. The job is managerial, so I am having to at least turn up looking fairly presentable.

3 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

So in the post a pic thread I posted a fully shaved photo of myself and the reason for this is I have an interview tomorrow. The job is managerial, so I am having to at least turn up looking fairly presentable.

Good luck

20 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

Please keep updated 

Good luck

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

Please keep updated 

Good luck

well the interview seemingly went well, I will hear something by the end of next week. 

Had an interview today for a job in the civil service. I knew straight away from reading the job description, and from my previous experience before I got stuck in a rut working nights in Tesco for almost nine fucking years that I could absolutely do this job with the Land Registry.

Walked into the interview to a panel of three people and all my prepping may as well have gone out the window. Tripping over my words and not giving detailed enough answers to certain scenarios, I could feel myself going red in the face as I stumbled my way through three quarters of the interview.

Of course, on the way back home, I'm calling myself a dickhead and asking myself why didn't I answer so and so in a certain way. I can prep for weeks but as soon as I'm sat face to face with the interviewer, my mind goes completely blank. In a previous life, I used to recruit and interview people so you think I'd know better.

Fucking bollocks.

On 1/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, Rey_Piste said:

well the interview seemingly went well, I will hear something by the end of next week. 

Any news? I am looking for suggestions for jobs with accomadation included, home life is insufferable and really effecting me. I pay more in board than my friend pays on a mortgage for a 3 bed house