UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Yes. Let's see what happens. Hopefully something will come of it and it won't be a case of money ruling over logic and law. Regardless of whether it does or not though, let's also not make shit up in the midst of a discussion and talk about stuff with authority when you don't actually know the facts.

Hang on. I asked what came of the BJ/GSP incident & from all the links you posted what actually came about was little to nothing. Dana went on a rant on a radio interview (how out of character for him!), Keith Kizer admonished it & they changed the rules but as you can read yourself, the rules now only stop cornermen from holding/applying additional vaseline. If a fighter so desires they can still come out to the cage 'pre-greased'. From reading about the hearing they had (that GSP didn't even have to attend) nothing whatsoever came of it. No punitive measures for any of GSP's camp. No fines, not even a black mark against them.

I've said all along that Silva rubbing the vaseline from his face was suspect & a fine would be appropriate yet your little outburst claiming

It was genuinely one of the most flagrant, unjustifiable acts of cheating I can ever recall.
was completely disproportionate to what actually happened. Should they look into fighters doing this more? If it's that much of a problem then obviously yes. But I maintain that repeated groin shots, eye pokes & come to mention it, punches to the back of the head are worse offenders as these can instantly change the whole momentum of a fight.

You need to chill out.

• Paid Members
I dont think anyone is trying to justify it it was a blatent attempt to gain an advantage. However the vaseline on him is legal so im not sure you could even claim it was technically an illegal advantage. If he rubs it across his forehead is that ok or is it classed as greasing his head? The ref can decide to wipe down any excess grease and he saw Silva was taking the piss. Even if the ref hadnt had wiped him off I doubt theres anything they could do about it after the fact

You're not supposed to touch the fucking vaseline! It's on your face to protect your face from cuts. It's legal because it's on your face. It's not legal if you then remove it and put it elsewhere to gain an illegal advantage. That's why the ref wiped him down.

You've edited this since you went full spastic last night but i'll say it again. The vaseline is applied by a cornerman and checked outside by the ref. Once he gives you the OK the Vaseline that is on you is legal It is not, or ever has been illegal to touch the greased area of your face. All rules relate to grease being applied to limbs technically relate to before the fight or by cornermen during rounds. The GSP stuff is about a cornerman applying it illegally and is totally different. It is at the refs discretion to stop the fight or wipe a fighter down, He saw what he did and cleaned him up. Is Silva taking the piss doing what he did? Yes. Is it technically illegal?, It can be argued either way. Now calm the fuck down

Yeah, the amount of vaseline on your eyebrows and nose is hardly going to cause much difference when spread even thinner over your arms and body I guess. Still, it's something worth looking at, and would definately warrant a fine in my opinion.

To say "It was genuinely one of the most flagrant, unjustifiable acts of cheating I can ever recall" is ridiculous though.

Yes. Let's see what happens. Hopefully something will come of it and it won't be a case of money ruling over logic and law. Regardless of whether it does or not though, let's also not make shit up in the midst of a discussion and talk about stuff with authority when you don't actually know the facts.

Aren't you the guy who usually preaches to all of us simple MMA fans about how money should always come out on top of logic & law?

Dave Meltzer was discussing the UFC 148 buyrate on his radio show and it appears that the numbers were a disappointment to Dana White. On the show, Meltzer said it looks like 148 did roughly 1 million buys and that Dana White truly believed the show would beat UFC 100's buyrate. Dave also said that Dana texted him "this sucks" about the buyrate.

Had they not set up unrealistic expectations by publicly saying this would beat 100, there'd be no reason to look at the number as disappointing. In fact, it shouldn't be viewed as anything other than a success outside of the UFC's weird public statements.

Credit: bloodyelbow.com

I didn't expect it to beat the record set by UFC 100. UFC 148 getting a million buys is a great figure considering it was a one fight show, the card changes and a UFC PPV hasn't done a million since Velasquez/Lesnar at UFC 121, I believe.

That is more impressive than Wrestlemania, that did 650k in the United States, if UFC did PPV Worldwide like WWE does they would have beaten Wrestlemania worldwide, they were not far behind with just the Unites States.

As said above, they have not had a buyrate this strong in 2 years, and a gate that is the second biggest in company history. Good job all round.

That is more impressive than Wrestlemania, that did 650k in the United States, if UFC did PPV Worldwide like WWE does they would have beaten Wrestlemania worldwide, they were not far behind with just the Unites States.

As said above, they have not had a buyrate this strong in 2 years, and a gate that is the second biggest in company history. Good job all round.

Unless there is a big superfight or a loaded card, I don't expect UFC to do another one million buyrate soon. I thought UFC 150 might have had a chance if it was stacked like UFC 100 was but the UFC isn't doing that.

I can agree they wont for a while, maybe even a good few years. Some fights that could happen that would have a chance.

JDS vs Jones

GSP vs Anderson

Lesnar vs Mir 3

Jones vs Anderson

Jones vs Henderson should do around 600k-700k, that will be their best business for the rest of the year. Maybe GSP vs Condit could do a strong number also.

• Paid Members

I'd like to think a GSP/Diaz fight would do something decent too, assuming Nick is going to fight again. Also, on the subject of Buys, Does anyone think Overeem will have any significant impact? Overeem vs the winner of JDS/Cain seems likely, how do you think that will do?

I think Overeem vs JDS/Cain will do around 500-700k, it depends on the location of the fight (Vegas gets the most press, overseas markets get the least) and how much the countdowns are promoted. The buzz before the event usually is a indicator of how well a card will do. Heavyweights will usually do decent numbers, and with JDS rep growing and Overeem beating Brock, they could do some serious business. Cain I think is the least marketable.

Diaz vs GSP I forgot about and it would do very well, maybe close to a million.

UFC 100's buyrate of 1.6 Million came at a time where business was at a all-time high, the UFC is fairly hot now, but 2009-2010 are its glory years from a business/ratings standpoint.

Archived