UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Chael might appeal the loss claiming an illegal knee to a downed opponent (I thought it was legal myself) smart move but I don't think Anderson gives him a rematch, even if he was succesful with the appeal.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29597/chael-sonn...ger-in-dark.mma[/url]

whilst i don't think anything will come of it, he does have a point, the greasing thing especially, it was so blatant. It feels like people are picking the bones of the entire thing but there's no doubt that there were several questionable actions from Silva during the bout.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Now that the initial disappointment of Chael's loss has subsided, I've realised the perfect thing for him to do next; coach The Ultimate Fighter.

Chael was initially meant to coach on TUF before the whole TRT thing cropped up if i remember correctly.

I'd love to see a Chael/Wanderlei season though, that'd be some good shit.

Now that the initial disappointment of Chael's loss has subsided, I've realised the perfect thing for him to do next; coach The Ultimate Fighter. With the shitty ratings the show drew last season he'd be absolutely perfect to inject some life back into it. They could either do a Brazil vs. USA season against Wand or Vitor, or just do a regular season against Bisping.

I've had my fill of Bisping on TUF; one season as a fighter, two as a coach, that bird has surely flown by now.

• Paid Members

"The injury actually occurred about 30 seconds into the fight when the fighters were on the opposite side of the octagon. Maia had one of Stun Gun's legs, which is a position that he actually likes. As they were tied up, somehow Stun Gun got a muscle spasm in his side. He told his corner that something was wrong. Kim defended Maia's takedown attempts for a while, but by the time they got to the other side of the Octagon, he was in too much pain.

The position in which the injury happened is the kind that happens in training all the time, but for some reason it caused a severe muscle spasm this particular time. It truly was a freak accident. It's a terrible way to lose a fight and Stun Gun is really bummed out about it. I'm sure he'll be back and going strong soon enough, though!"

Stun Gun's manager talks the injury in the Demian Maia fight. What would you do in this situation? i'd re-book the fight and do it again. Maia acted like he did a great job but it's not the right way to win a fight, it started nicely too. File it under: Unfinished Business.

• Paid Members
Now that the initial disappointment of Chael's loss has subsided, I've realised the perfect thing for him to do next; coach The Ultimate Fighter. With the shitty ratings the show drew last season he'd be absolutely perfect to inject some life back into it. They could either do a Brazil vs. USA season against Wand or Vitor, or just do a regular season against Bisping.

I've had my fill of Bisping on TUF; one season as a fighter, two as a coach, that bird has surely flown by now.

I'll never tire of seeing Bisping on TUF. He's perfectly suited for that environment, able to sell fights brilliantly whilst also making a big enough tit out of himself that you can't stop watching. Everyone moaned when he coached against Miller, saying we'd seen it all before, but then he went and fell off a table during the coaches challenge and it was pretty much the greatest moment in the history of TV. It did great ratings too, unlike the last season. Putting him in there against Sonnen would just everything up to eleven. It'd make for a glorious resurrection of what's quite clearly an ice cold, stale as fuck format.

Make Matt Serra an assistant coach to Chael too, just for added brilliance.

I'll never tire of seeing Bisping on TUF. He's perfectly suited for that environment, able to sell fights brilliantly whilst also making a big enough tit out of himself that you can't stop watching. Everyone moaned when he coached against Miller, saying we'd seen it all before, but then he went and fell off a table during the coaches challenge and it was pretty much the greatest moment in the history of TV. It did great ratings too, unlike the last season. Putting him in there against Sonnen would just everything up to eleven. It'd make for a glorious resurrection of what's quite clearly an ice cold, stale as fuck format.

Bisping's been on TUF too many times and whilst he would make a good foil for Sonnen, I'm just fed up of him on the show. I know Sonnen has some beef with Matt Hughes, so I wouldn't mind seeing him as the other coach opposite Sonnen. Plus that woulod be a fight I would look forward to seeing at the end.

Chael might appeal the loss claiming an illegal knee to a downed opponent (I thought it was legal myself) smart move but I don't think Anderson gives him a rematch, even if he was succesful with the appeal.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/29597/chael-sonn...ger-in-dark.mma[/url]

whilst i don't think anything will come of it, he does have a point, the greasing thing especially, it was so blatant. It feels like people are picking the bones of the entire thing but there's no doubt that there were several questionable actions from Silva during the bout.

Chael's coach does have a case, Anderson pulled the shorts, the "illegal" knee and greasing. The ref could of checked to see if Anderson was greased before the fight, he took a while to catch onto Silva pulling the shorts, Herb Dean might of done a better job.

But no word from Chael himself YET...

Will UFC sweep this under the rug.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

CM Punk and D-Bryan it's seems have watched the main event from UFC 148 too as they used the spinning back elbow miss and knee in there match on raw

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

I still don't buy the 'illegal knee' stuff myself. The knee was clearly aimed at the chest, it landed in the chest. Part of Anderson's thigh may have brushed Sonnen's face but really, what damage did it do? It's hard to say but I didn't hear Chael moaning at the time. Don't really blame him now though if he thinks he can wangle a rematch out of it.

The short grabbing was wrong but stuff like that happens mid fight sometimes. It's not right but he was warned about it and even Chael said at the presser after "Hey if he grabbed my shorts, I'll just grab someone else's down the line. It all evens out" or something like that. Shit happens in fights. These things commonly happen either by accident (eye pokes/low blows) or instincts (short/fence grabbing) and that's partly why the ref's there. He did tell Anderson about grabbing the shorts to be fair.

The only thing Anderson did that bothered me was the greasing up before the fight and he's done that before. That's the bit that needs looking at. And like others have said I was also baffled by the casual attitude Rogan and Goldberg had to him blatantly wiping vaseline all over his arms/chest right in front of the camera. Rogan's "Oh Anderson wiped vaseline on himself, but Yves is just wiping it off with a towel now" and no more said about it was odd.

• Paid Members

Make Matt Serra an assistant coach to Chael too, just for added brilliance.

you think TUF could possibly go back to having coaches that don't actually fight at the end of it? i know the TUF format acts as a build up to a fight but with coaches dropping out recently (3 times now) maybe they could just go back to having two random coaches that just so happen to big big personalities like Serra/Sonnen?

• Paid Members

I think Sonnen's in real danger here of losing quite a lot of goodwill the fans have towards him if he pursues this complaint. Yves Lavigne was right on top of the knee, the replay showed it hitting him in the chest & given Silva's striking accuracy if he intended to throw it at Sonnen's head it would've hit him in the head!

The greasing was a bit suspect but again, the ref ensured he was wiped down & this is hardly a new thing. How many fighters come out to the Octagon already dripping wet/oiled? It's pretty common place as is short pulling, grabbing the cage, gloves etc. If it's constantly happening & the ref has either given the fighter several warnings but not deducted a point or, just through poor reffing it's been ignored then there's a case to be had. If a fighter grabs the shorts/cage/gloves & the ref tells him to stop and he does then fair enough.

For me, the biggest thing that needs to be looked at is the standard of groin protection/cups against inside leg kicks (how many times were fights stopped at UFC 147?) & people throwing jabs with open hands resulting in eye pokes. These 'offences' truly change the momentum & advantage of a fight, if anything should be looked at it's this.

Once again, i winced when I saw that Yves was reffing, he should be nowhere near a title match.

Saying that, he wiped Anderson down before the fight (quite why one of the guys from the NSAC didn't spot I don't know), and when Chael had Anderson against the cage you can see several times that Anderson had his hands open. As soon as he got off the cage was when he did pull the shorts which was out of order. I dont buy the illegal knee thing one iota. The close up replay at the end clearly showed that the knee hit Sonnen in the chest not the face. Sonnen's coach is also trying to claim that Anderson had hold of the cage when he threw it. he does have his hand on the cage but it is open, his fingers are not locked around the fencing. So as far as I can see, they haven't really got a viable claim for another rematch, just looking for another strong payday.

Assuming that another rematch doesn't materialise (and i don't think it should), who is there left at MW for Silva now? A fight with Bisping in the UK could be a huge draw, but is Bisping worthy of getting a shot once he returns (assuming he picks up the win). theres always the dream of Silva vs. St. Pierre, but I just cant see that happening anytime soon as St Pierre has such long layoffs between fights due to injury.

Surely the bigger fights for Silva are at LHW? If he does, you've got the likes of Rhashad Evans, Machida, Jon Jones, Shogun Hua, another match with Dan Henderson, Rampage etc.

On the whole i thought the show was pretty good. Shame that Hung Kim got injured though, always liked his fights and was hoping he'd beat Maia, who bores the shit out of me. Shame that Tito couldnt reire with a win, but the decision was right in my eyes, and Cung Le's fight was OK but at 40 years old I don't know how much longer he can fight at this level. If I was him, I'd stick to doing movies

• Paid Members
as far as im aware Sonnen's got nothing to do with the complaints, it's his coach.

This is true. I should've rephrased 'Team Sonnen'. Ultimately Sonnen's coach works for him & knows his words/actions directly reflect on Chael. If he's not got Chael's backing he should shut the fuck up.

• Paid Members

I think i'd make a pretty crappy judge. I had Tito winning the 1st and 3rd rounds of his fight, due to the takedowns (akward as some of them looked), and knocking Forrest on his ass once too.

I find it really difficult to see who is winning in a striking battle. Depending who I am rooting for i'm either looking at one fighters face or hands at a time and not the bigger picture. For example, being a Tito fan for this fight, not liking the way Forrest came across on the conutdown, I was focusing more on Forrest's face and watching Tito's fists, not the other way around.

How on earth do the offical Judges do it? Its not easy, and yes they make some obviously questionable decisions, but its not the easy job some people make it out to be. Its alot easier to see who has got a takedown or stuffed one, but when 'Octgaon Warriors' are trading leather at a pace, its not so clear.

• Paid Members

with Forrest and Tito it's pretty much that Tito did all his damage within the first 90 seconds of a round (roughly), he then pretty much went into his shell and ended up doing very little for the rest of the rounds. If you were to make a highlight video of the fight and you saw that you'd probably think Tito wins the fight but overall he just didn't do enough...i'll have to watch it again though, im just going by a half cut memory of the fight :)

there was a similar situation in the already infamous Pacquiao/Bradley fight, the eye catching stuff was coming from Pacman all night and for most people it was what won him the rounds but when you break it down he did very little for the majority of the rounds and Bradley quietly racked up points and stole rounds through workrate. I know it's not a perfect example but you see what im getting at?

Archived