UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II Thread

The Natural

Who wins and how?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Surely the bigger fights for Silva are at LHW? If he does, you've got the likes of Rhashad Evans, Machida, Jon Jones, Shogun Hua, another match with Dan Henderson, Rampage etc.

we discussed this a page back, there's plenty of fights for Anderson at 185. Bisping and a Belfort rematch are the instantly appealing ones but you've got Hector Lombard, Tim Boetsch, Alan Belcher, Mark Munoz and Chris Weidman all rallying for a shot, i think it would be unfair on the rest of the division if Silva moved out of there right now.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I know it's not a perfect example but you see what im getting at?

Yea, I'm with you.

Just playing devil's advocate though, if the only highlights for the whole fight were Tito's, doesn't that suggest that Forrest didn't do anything of note for the other 3:30 of the rounds?

Maybe answering my own point, but perhaps wining the large majority of the 'less highlight-package worthy' time of a fight is better than a few flurries of action.

And I did admit I was watching through Tito-rimmed glasses. Perhaps if I went back in time and showed the fight to a younger me, at a time I detested Tito and thought better of Forrest, my opinion might be widely different, having focused on the adtion a bit differently.

• Paid Members
The greasing was a bit suspect but again, the ref ensured he was wiped down & this is hardly a new thing.

A bit suspect? If that's what you call a bit suspect I'd hate to imagine what a fighter has to do for you to call it obvious or blatant. It was genuinely one of the most flagrant, unjustifiable acts of cheating I can ever recall. The knee and the grabbing of the shorts is understandable; in the middle of a fight when emotions are running high they have to make split-second decisions, so yeah, it's ultimately up to the ref to keep an eye out for it and warn, disqualify or deduct points accordingly. But to calmly stand there, with a camera aimed directly at you, and systematically take Vaseline from your face and rub it onto your body is utterly deplorable. It shows a calculated intent to gain an illegal advantage and regardless of whether the ref wiped him down or not, the act itself is still absolutely worthy of an enquiry and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves for not making it a much bigger topic of discussion at the press conference or in post-fight interviews. He's banged to rights. At least guys that do steroids don't do them in the middle of the fucking Octagon in front of millions of people.

Despite reading today that Ed Soares believes Anderson could make 170lbs and 205lb having fights available for him, I think Anderson will stay at 185lbs. The most we will get is a catchweight with GSP.

I think this appeal from Sonnen's camp will quietly go away, nothing will come of it.

Would Anderson at 170 have enough muscle on him to stop GSP taking him down a million times, given how much trouble he had with Sonnen's takedowns?

Well Sonnen is much bigger than GSP, and just as good a wrestler. Anderson does not cut that much weight, so if he can defend Chael at least then he would have a good chance of keeping GSP standing long enough to cause damage.

GSP had trouble at times with Jake Shields striking, Anderson would murder him standing I believe.

• Paid Members
2612010[/url]']

2612005[/url]' date='Jul 10 2012, 23:13']Would Anderson at 170 have enough muscle on him to stop GSP taking him down a million times, given how much trouble he had with Sonnen's takedowns?

Well Sonnen is much bigger than GSP, and just as good a wrestler. Anderson does not cut that much weight, so if he can defend Chael at least then he would have a good chance of keeping GSP standing long enough to cause damage.

GSP had trouble at times with Jake Shields striking, Anderson would murder him standing I believe.

The more I think about it, the more I sway to GSP beating Silva. If he were to come up to 185 slowly and put the weight on right. We know he has excellent wrestling which would cause Silva trouble, but he also has very good striking, but the main thing being, he is outstanding at changing levels and mixing the whole thing up, which I think would keep Silva on his toes. He's also the type of guy to stick rigidly to his gameplan and not panic when shit goes wrong. A necessary trait when fighting Silva.

Anderson Silva has put paid to the idea of having super fights many times, to me it taints his rep as a "pound for pound greatest", when he has the capability to change weight classes and fight lesser opponents (Irvin, Griffin), but balks at the idea of facing Jones.

That said, I think he was actually up for a GSP fight and it was GSP that didn't want to move up.

The greasing was a bit suspect but again, the ref ensured he was wiped down & this is hardly a new thing.

A bit suspect? If that's what you call a bit suspect I'd hate to imagine what a fighter has to do for you to call it obvious or blatant. It was genuinely one of the most flagrant, unjustifiable acts of cheating I can ever recall. The knee and the grabbing of the shorts is understandable; in the middle of a fight when emotions are running high they have to make split-second decisions, so yeah, it's ultimately up to the ref to keep an eye out for it and warn, disqualify or deduct points accordingly. But to calmly stand there, with a camera aimed directly at you, and systematically take Vaseline from your face and rub it onto your body is utterly deplorable. It shows a calculated intent to gain an illegal advantage and regardless of whether the ref wiped him down or not, the act itself is still absolutely worthy of an enquiry and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves for not making it a much bigger topic of discussion at the press conference or in post-fight interviews. He's banged to rights. At least guys that do steroids don't do them in the middle of the fucking Octagon in front of millions of people.

Bang on. Whilst the result of the fight cannot be questioned, Anderson should be taken to task for what he did (greasing) and at least fined by the UFC and should surely face sanctions from the commission.

• Paid Members

Surely the reason nothing's been made of it is because everyone realises it's tantamount to fuck all. Loads of fighters come out soaking wet or oiled up (Baroni used to look like he was a bodybuilding competition). I'm not excusing Silva doing it by any stretch & a fine would be perfectly suitable. Supremo claiming it 'was genuinely one of the most flagrant, unjustifiable acts of cheating I can ever recall' is a tad reactionary though. Worse than Wes Sims stamping on Mir? Really?

2612010[/url]']

2612005[/url]' date='Jul 10 2012, 23:13']Would Anderson at 170 have enough muscle on him to stop GSP taking him down a million times, given how much trouble he had with Sonnen's takedowns?

The more I think about it, the more I sway to GSP beating Silva. If he were to come up to 185 slowly and put the weight on right. We know he has excellent wrestling which would cause Silva trouble, but he also has very good striking, but the main thing being, he is outstanding at changing levels and mixing the whole thing up, which I think would keep Silva on his toes. He's also the type of guy to stick rigidly to his gameplan and not panic when shit goes wrong. A necessary trait when fighting Silva.

Good point about mixing things up. He does indeed change levels well and gameplan well.

However, in a 25 mins fight, there is every change Anderson will catch him, I rate GSP as a good but not great striker. He looked great against Kos with the jab and when he used his considerable reach advantage against Penn, but the amount of trouble he had against Shields who he should have polished of regardless of his cut, makes me question his striking sightly.

Anderson is great finisher, when he has you hurt you stay hurt until the ref steps in, Anderson would only need a flurry against GSP and the fight would be over, GSP does not have the power striking for Anderson to worry about going for it either. Could GSP hold down Silva for 5 rounds? Yes, but do I believe if they fought 10 times Anderson would win 7 or 8? Yep.

• Paid Members

GSP standup is underrated. I aint saying he could stand and trade with Silva but if he went away concentrated on it im pretty sure he could bring it be on level with anyone at 170...hes borderline there already. His striking in his esrlier UFC performances was superb.

Id pick GSP over Silva though, always have.

Archived