The Food Thread

Devon Malcolm

I have grown my own Scotch bonnets, and the second time they worked brilliantly! I just grew them indoors on a windowsill. My tips are maybe fairly obvious, but give your plant a decent amount of space and depth to grow in, mine ended up about a foot and a half tall, and a bit of tomato feed every now and then seems to help a lot.

I actually ordered a pack of naga seeds on Sunday and will plant them as soon as I get them and see how that goes. They supposedly need a higher temperature, fingers crossed that a windowsill above a radiator will be enough for them to germinate in February!

I get by with water and sunshine. I daresay I could get larger, sweeter, hotter, brighter or shinier peppers if I went about it in a professional way but it's not necessary for my needs.

A mate of mine gave me a plant about 8 years ago and it lived on my kitchen windowsill. It grew a treat and the peppers were lovely. Since then I pick up a plant whenever I see one and I usually have one in the kitchen and a couple in the garden. My Pimientos de Padron last year were fan-fucking-spastic and I did nothing with them except plop them in the garden and water them whenever I remembered.

• Paid Members

I have to start re-exploring chilies. I used to love them and grew a couple of plants once, but since my MS has got worse my tolerance to spice has got less and less which as a spice lover is quite distressing :(

I need to find a kind that will give me all the flavour but little heat.

• 2 weeks later...