Monday Night Raw 27/2/12 *SPOILERS*

Daaaaaad!

Yeah I agree that Cena's look needs changing, Austin, Rock, DX, nWo etc all wore there own merch but I think cena looks cheap wearing too much with the hat, wristbands, tees, armband and I think he had his own boxers at one point.

Ive said it before but he should ditch the shorts for wrestling in but keep for promo's (like austin), if he wanted he could match his gear to his latest tshirt design, If you look at his toys they all look the same and have done for years cos his look doesnt really change.

The promo videos have been great showing the differences between the two with JC being the basic, bluecollar guy, working out in 'rough' looking gyms with rookies and Rock as the MVP style Megastar with first class travel and all the glitz and glamour.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock is cool as fuck. You can't buy the sort of charisma he has, whether it's getting fifteen thousand people in an arena to chant his name or cracking on with a chat show host. Plus he looks like he could walk into the any bar, shag the fittest lass there and give her boyfriend and a couple of bouncers a slap on the way out. He's got everything.

Besides, even Jose Mourinho has to wear trackies every now and again.

• Moderators
Ive said it before but he should ditch the shorts for wrestling in but keep for promo's (like austin), if he wanted he could match his gear to his latest tshirt design, If you look at his toys they all look the same and have done for years cos his look doesnt really change.

What do you suggest? Short tights with a design on them like everyone else? His attire is different to the others on the roster, and different is good.

Rock is cool as fuck. You can't buy the sort of charisma he has, whether it's getting fifteen thousand people in an arena to chant his name or cracking on with a chat show host. Plus he looks like he could walk into the any bar, shag the fittest lass there and give her boyfriend and a couple of bouncers a slap on the way out. He's got everything.

Besides, even Jose Mourinho has to wear trackies every now and again.

In the WWE microcosm he doesn't seem very cool anymore to me. Just going on about bloody twitter all the time and doing Lee Evans voices in his market bought shell suit. That's not cool in Butch's house. Stoic and dry is cool.

• Moderators
Yeah I agree that Cena's look needs changing, Austin, Rock, DX, nWo etc all wore there own merch but I think cena looks cheap wearing too much with the hat, wristbands, tees, armband and I think he had his own boxers at one point.

The promo videos have been great showing the differences between the two with JC being the basic, bluecollar guy, working out in 'rough' looking gyms with rookies and Rock as the MVP style Megastar with first class travel and all the glitz and glamour.

Everyone wears their own merch. It's how you sell it. I think DX is the worst possible example to use also, in its most recent incarnation(s) anyway.. Terrible merch with two old men looking like idiots wearing it. The era of HHH's Penis Monologues is best forgotten.

Luckly Rocks been wearing jeans recently so he doesnt look as chavy, I know alot of people dislike his 'hollywood smile' but if I was him I'd have a shitload to smile about too.

Was watching his Raw appearences from 2004 hes just magical at working the crowd and really witty with the one liners, pre-written or not delivery is everything.

What do you suggest? Short tights with a design on them like everyone else? His attire is different to the others on the roster, and different is good.

I think even going back to the basketball vests would be a step in the right direction, even if they have to make mock-ups with his name on to shill. The oversized t-shirts combined with the baggy shorts look dreadful.

If cena changed his look people would still reconise him cos hes John Cena, he could wear biker shorts with then 'u cant c me' logo or 'rise above hate' on them or something as I said match his gear to his tees.

I know different is good but he wouldnt fade into the background cos of who he is.

I'd hoped DX did it tongue in cheek :(

• Moderators

I think the problem you have with this idea is that the shorts are by far the stupidest looking part of his outfit, yet also the thing that everyone will most identify with him.

I'd hoped DX did it tongue in cheek :(

To paraphrase a wiser man than I - "knowing something is shit doesn't stop it from being shit".

Like his baggy shorts or not Cena would look absolutely ridiculous in anything else if he changed now, that's just what he wears and has done for nearly 10 years so seems strange that it still bugs people, the current camo ones are much better than the jeans though.

Like his baggy shorts or not Cena would look absolutely ridiculous in anything else if he changed now, that's just what he wears and has done for nearly 10 years so seems strange that it still bugs people, the current camo ones are much better than the jeans though.

I'm not even particularly bothered about him changing his actual ring wear - just making the point that I absolutely can't take his 'this is serious now', quasi-shoot promos at face value while he's dressed like a child. If he wants these promos to come across like he's had a change in attitude and is no longer playing for laughs, he should look like it.

• Paid Members

Have to say, when Cena was absolutely murdering The Rock on the mic the other week, I thought to myself "I can't enjoy this, his T-Shirt is baggy".

Only kidding. I think Cena's rig out is fine. At least he wears shorts. Randy Orton walking around in his trunks all the time does genuinely annoy me.

Maybe the tagline for the Cena/Rock WM match could be clothing related: "The Child vs. The Chav"

• Paid Members

On the plus side, if they ever did want to turn him heel, as unlikely as I think it'll be anytime soon, they can have him change his image then to show the character change. For example, if he came out in a suit, it would be completely out of character for who he is now, but not if he had 'sold out' or was abandoning the current Cena character in some way by turning.

Am I remembering right that at the end of Cena's promo he said (words to the effect of)...

"I may have no balls, but at Wrestlemania I'm gonna beat you up".

Why did he agree with Rock that he (Cena) has no balls? Not exactly "owning him on the mic" is it?

I have nothing new to add to this excellent debate than what I've put before, but I just wanted to say that whilst I don't agree myself, I do totally get where people are coming from if they think Cena looks daft in his gear when he's being serious.

I don't see it at all in Cena. But I'll never forget how much it wound me up that Shawn looked like a fucking Make-A-Wish kid in the segment where him and Bret made up. One of the most important bits of wrestling TV for me as a fan ever, and he had a fucking stretchy band round his camo trousers and t-shirt saying "big member" in luminous green on the back.

So I don't agree in these circumstances, but I see where those folks are coming from.

Archived