The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I think that sounds grand!

I have a strong desire to house a boiled egg in between two ends of a baguette now. I'll call it a Welsh egg in King C's honour. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So if you sliced two rings off the baguette and made a little round sandwich that would be ok?

I used to do this for my daughter.  She loved them.  Great toasted too.

@King Coconut, a lot of the kebab shops call kebabs sandwiches, they know the score.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

So if you sliced two rings off the baguette and made a little round sandwich that would be ok?

Nothing worse than when someone puts a spread out and they've cut the baguette like that...what am I supposed to do with it? Make a tiny sandwich? Miniature open faced sandwich? No thanks, put a knife out and let me decide.

• Paid Members

Made imam bayıldı using a recipe from the Middle Eats channel on YouTube.

This was surprisingly easy, quick, and cheap to make, and is very tasty. Only thing I would do differently is cook the mixture a little longer, as the tomato was still very slightly acidic for my tastes - prefer it a bit sweeter than tangy. But my mum and dad seemed to like it as was, so can't complain.

20240515_192956.jpg

20240515_193403.jpg

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That looks amazing @Carbomb!!

Seems my girlfriend has a gluten intolerance (RIP chippy tea) so thinking a bread maker is a wise investment. Any recommendations for a budget one?

I know it's not what you asked but I started making a really good pizza dough lately after playing around with a youtube recipe. I just looked and you can subsitute regular flour for gluten free 1:1 so if you ever want to make a decent pizza give me a shout. Another thing I just looked up is that plain yogurt is gluten free. You can make really nice flatbreads with nothing but plain yogurt, flour and baking powder, excellent for a curry or kebab or whatever.

I dont know anything about breadmakers but I do make other bread type things!

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

That looks amazing @Carbomb!!

Seems my girlfriend has a gluten intolerance (RIP chippy tea) so thinking a bread maker is a wise investment. Any recommendations for a budget one?

I have been looking at various bread makers, not got one yet but IIRC the Russell Hobbs Breadmaker was recommended for gluten free baking Keith. I think it was in the 60-80 quid range if you shop around.

16 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I have been looking at various bread makers, not got one yet but IIRC the Russell Hobbs Breadmaker was recommended for gluten free baking Keith. I think it was in the 60-80 quid range if you shop around.

Ooh cheers, that’s less than I thought and we could probably stretch to that! It’s the Pratchett thing about economics, it will work out way cheaper (and tastier) in the long run as gluten free bread costs a fair old bit!

Got some Tajin Clasico seasoning from TK Maxx a while back. Can’t get enough of the stuff. A really nice mild chilli seasoning with lime. Just chopped up some chicken, threw in a good amount of Tajin, cayenne, and chilli oil and did it in the pan, then served it in a pita with some curly fries. 

Absolutely delicious, might have overdid the cayenne a bit but the citrus really counters it. Tajin will be a permanent fixture in the cupboard next to DRAPS now!