Name Change

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

I remember reading a section in Mick Foley's first book about a meeting all the WWF wrestlers had with Vince, that kind of ushered in what was to become Attitude. Out of that meeting (as Foley describes it) Hunter Hearst Helmsley became Triple H, Jesse James turned into the Road Dogg, and Rocky Maivia became The Rock.

Let's imagine we're due for another one of those name change meetings now. The main reason is because of this guy:

dolph_ziggler_845.jpg

There's been a lot of talk on here in recent months about how great this individual is, and I agree that he's consistently been one of the best in WWE this year. The only thing, I think, that's preventing him from breaking out into the stratosphere is his bloody name. "Dolph Ziggler" does not, to me, scream 'this guy is the man'. Using the old Jim Cornette maxim of picking a wrestler's name of imagining it being announced in the main event of WrestleMania, you can't really imagine the general public, or mainstream media, being able to talk about Dolph Ziggler as a point of interest like they would Stone Cold Steve Austin or The Ultimate Warrior or Bret 'Hitman' Hart.

"Dolph" I have no problem with... But "Ziggler"? No thanks. Enough is enough, and it's time etc.

Dolph-Ziggler.jpg

He's annoyed now.

This is because, despite the fact I don't like his current name, I can't think of what it could change to. Has the 'Dolph Ziggler' name been around too long? Is it so ingrained in fans' minds now that he's stuck with it? Johnny Nitro was able to become John Morrison fairly easily, so maybe it is possible. But if a name change is what it takes to make Dolph Ziggler a true main eventer, what would you rename him? Or is he fine how he is?

And who else on the WWE roster is crying out for a name change? Someone lower down the card, like Johnny Curtis or this one:

02.jpg

Or someone higher up? For instance, is Jack Swagger an acceptable name for a potential future multi-time World Champion, in the vein of Ric Flair? Does "CM Punk" need to go?

And if so, what would you change them to?

Or do you disagree entirely and think that WWE can make any name sound great if they put their marketing minds to it?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Out of that meeting (as Foley describes it) Hunter Hearst Helmsley became Triple H, Jesse James turned into the Road Dogg, and Rocky Maivia became The Rock.

Those were just evolutions of character. Road Dogg was still Jesse James. He even said so in his ring introduction. People still chanted Rocky at The Rock. And the reason Triple H is called Triple H is because his gimmick name has three H's in it. Its not like we were expected to suddenly forgot what their previous names were. You need to evolve, not throw the towel in. I think Dolf's to far gone now as far as his name being established to ever change it.

But who cares really? Is Hulk Hogan less stupid than Dolf Ziggler? I like his name to be honest. Cactus Jack is a bit silly if you hear it for the first time. And the Undertaker is a bit of a giggle, just for what the initial thought brings up. If you invest in the characters though, the name doesnt matter at all.

• Paid Members

I used to be in favour of a name change for Dolph but I've finally accepted it as his. It was a few Raws ago I thought to myself, "that isn't all that bad, kinda suits him". It sounds like a European fashionista or something, considering Dolph plays an arrogant pretty boy, it fits (even if he's not European).

Michael McGillucuty needs to go, as it's clearly a pain in the arse to spell. Awful.

• Paid Members

Dolph's name is fucking ace. It's different enough that it makes him stand out from the crowd. I've got a few non fan friends that will occasionally try and join in on conversations with me and the only names they can bring up every time for sure are Cena, Rock and Dolph's as it's something you'll remember.

It also works great as a heel, purely because it gets to the point where the target demographic would hate everything from how cocky he is, how he looks to how stupid and silly his name sounds.

As stupid a comment as it is from me, I do believe that WWE are making all of these silly sounding or generic names as it's going to be easier for children their aiming their product at to remember, rather than trying to make them cool and edgy for people of our generation to get behind.

I mean if this was 20 odd years ago, would people be complaining at how boring the name Shawn Michaels sounded?

Though I do agree McGillucuty needs to go, it took me 3 attempts at trying to spell it just then. Stupidly difficult

• Paid Members

I'm kinda used to Dolph Ziggler now, although I used to hate it. If they were going to change it there's nothing wrong with his real name, Nick Nemeth I guess.

But there are worse names on the roster right now- Michael McGillicutty being the worst offender. What's wrong with "Joe Hennig"?

I miss the days of cool sounding "one word" names, like Edge, Christian, Kane and X-Pac. They need more of that kind of thing.

I actually hate this lets change Dolph Zigglers name thing that gets bandied about everynow and again. He's Dolph Ziggler, great name, its different and makes him stand out. He's also awesome.

I'm not that bothered about peoples names, a name can be a bit bland, but as long as there is a character to back it up then I don't see a problem.

• Paid Members
I actually hate this lets change Dolph Zigglers name thing that gets bandied about everynow and again. He's Dolph Ziggler, great name, its different and makes him stand out. He's also awesome.

I'm not that bothered about peoples names, a name can be a bit bland, but as long as there is a character to back it up then I don't see a problem.

Look at it this way, compare "The Rock", "Stone Cold Steve Austin" and "Edge" to "Husky Harris", "Michael McGillicutty" and "Daniel Bryan". The right name can leave someone looking marketable and cool, and the wrong one can just make them look daft and goofy.

• Paid Members

Dolph Ziggler is a fucking shit name, but it's a bit late in the day for a full change now. I honestly believe that if they had known how well he would develop when they brought him back to TV in 2008 that they would have thought twice about giving him that name. It screams 'comedy jobber' to me.

Archived