Name Change

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I think some wrestlers should have used their real names instead of stage names, and vice versa. As someone said earlier, Joe Hennig would've been fine instead of Michael Magillagorilla. Although not every fan would think he's the son of a Hall Of Famer just by looking at his name, unlike Ted Dibiase Jr and Cody Rhodes, it would still be an improvement. And as cool as Rowdy Roddy Piper might sound, I always thought his real name of Roderick Toombs would've been passable.

As for people going with their real names, I've never been keen on Jeff Jarrett. It sounds like the poorly-thought alter-ego of a really shit superhero, spending his days bumbling in a post office and his nights striking fear into the hearts of absolutely no-one. I'd change Jeff for something less "old man"-sounding like Jason, so to retain the "Double J" moniker. Anything but Jeff. Fucking horrid name. H-O-Double-R-I-D.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for people going with their real names, I've never been keen on Jeff Jarrett. It sounds like the poorly-thought alter-ego of a really shit superhero, spending his days bumbling in a post office and his nights striking fear into the hearts of absolutely no-one. I'd change Jeff for something less "old man"-sounding like Jason, so to retain the "Double J" moniker. Anything but Jeff. Fucking horrid name. H-O-Double-R-I-D.

Works fine for Jeff Hardy. That said, I think it's in the spelling, if a pro wrestling superstar was named "Geoff", I'd lose faith in society.

Personally I've always liked the name 'CM Punk' and it really suits his character down to a tee. I do agree with the people who are saying that a lot of the current wrestlers' names could be a lot better; I'm not going to harp on about 'Dolph Ziggler' as a wrestler's name but I will say that I'm not a fan of it and would welcome a change before it is too late.

Certain wrestlers' names from year's past trully made a lot of the wrestlers sound like larger than life characters. Here are a few of my favourite examples:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Ultimate Warrior

Ric Flair

Brock Lesnar

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

The Rock

Bret "Hitman" Hart

I do believe that in certain circumstances the name of a wrestler can play a role in how easy or difficult it may be getting a certain character over. Also, I think that it would play a large part in how the amount of gimmick/character-specific merchandise would be sold; IE a Lance Buttfrog t-shirt would be harder to sell than one with an 'edgier' name on it, The Rock or Ultimate Warrior, for example.

• Paid Members

If a wrestler is good enough then after a while no-one will even think about what you're called. CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz - all ridiculous names but all names I don't give a second thought to any more because they are so largely excellent. If Michael McGillicutty was even slightly interesting, no-one would give a shit about his name.

• Paid Members

Works fine for Jeff Hardy. That said, I think it's in the spelling, if a pro wrestling superstar was named "Geoff", I'd lose faith in society.

Not keen on Jeff Hardy, either, definitely agree with "Geoff" being a faith-killer.

Jeff Jarrett is a great name, so much so I can't believe how lucky he is to have that as his real name. Can't understand the hate for that at all.

Each to their own, I just find it awful. If there was a prom king and queen of bad names, Jeff Jarrett would be up there with Meryl Streep.

the Dolph Ziggler name is shit but it means fuck all, when he is performing as well as he is at the moment I dont care what he is called, his name has nothing to do with getting to the main event as a credible performer

This is a company who had top stars called Mr Perfect, The Ultimate Warrior, El Matador, The Texas Tornado, names mean nothing if you can get over. The Rock is another ridiculous name but he is one of the top stars of all time. Ziggler will either get to the main event based on his ability or he wont, his name will have nothing to do with it

I really dont like "CM Punk". sounds like someones shitty internet username.

When I first heard of him in TNA I thought it was pretty stupid too actually, now I'm so used to it I don't even think about it. I hated AJ Styles too, name wise.

AJ Styles is a lot better than CM punk. AJ at least would be something you would call your mate, "CM" just doesnt have any sort of ring to it.

I like 'Dolph Ziggler', I agree that 'The Rock' is a silly name but it works for him and instead of being Rocky Maivia he could have taken his dad/grandads other names and been 'Peter Johnson'.

I think WWE have tried over the past years to be like UFC and have real sounding names like a 'Chuck Liddell' etc cos they seemed to have move away from gimmick names like Edge.

Look a FCW roster those are some weird/shit names with a few good ones, One I like are Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Xavier Woods.

another weird name change is Tough Enough winner Andy Lavinge hes now known as Kevin Hackman (a name he used in FCW before TE) just seems a bit pointless to change it, I thought 'Silent Rage' Andy Lavinge sounded like a good name.

• Paid Members

CM Punk is what it is, a smarky indy wrestler name. I'm surprised WWE didn't change it when he debuted, but it isn't a bad name and it does suit him. At least it doesn't sound silly, like Ziggler does. I can easily see the name CM Punk being featured on posters and promotional material for a big event like WrestleMania, but if I was a non-wrestling fan and saw 'Dolph Ziggler' on a huge billboard in Times Square, my first thought would be 'Dirk Diggler rip-off'.

• Paid Members
I think some wrestlers should have used their real names instead of stage names, and vice versa. As someone said earlier, Joe Hennig would've been fine instead of Michael Magillagorilla. Although not every fan would think he's the son of a Hall Of Famer just by looking at his name, unlike Ted Dibiase Jr and Cody Rhodes, it would still be an improvement. And as cool as Rowdy Roddy Piper might sound, I always thought his real name of Roderick Toombs would've been passable.

Kelly Kelly's real name is Barbie Blank which is probably the coolest girl's name ever.

Richard Blood sounds a hundred thousand times cooler than Ricky Steamboat.

Roderick Toombs is a wicked name, sounds like a bad guy from a western.

It's hilarious that you hate the name Jeff Jarrett, it's fine.

Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar are both lucky they have cool real names that suit them.

I remember reading a section in Mick Foley's first book about a meeting all the WWF wrestlers had with Vince, that kind of ushered in what was to become Attitude. Out of that meeting (as Foley describes it) Hunter Hearst Helmsley became Triple H, Jesse James turned into the Road Dogg, and Rocky Maivia became The Rock.

I don't think it LITERALLY happened in one meeting. Though I love the idea of a random guy shooting his arm up like a child in the back row of the class room, sounding as if he REALLY needs to go to the loo.

Kid: "Oooh SIR SIR! I can be called "Road Dogg" from now on?"

Sir: "Sure. Why the fuck not!"

Archived