Black Friday

Cobra1000

• Awards Moderator

I bought a Chromecast ages ago when they first got reduced to £20. I don't have Netflix so don't really feel I get much use out of it at all at the moment. Was hoping WWE Network would support it, but they don't (despite originally suggesting they would when they announced the Network launch). Works great for YouTube, but no good for watching videos cast straight from your browser (very laggy).

If anyone knows any decent apps or uses for it, I'd love some recommendations.

There's a setting in the Chromecast Chrome extension where you can dial down the video quality. It made an enormous difference to playback for me, and the video quality is perfectly watchable.

Chromecast is one of the best things I ever bought.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a Chromecast ages ago when they first got reduced to £20. I don't have Netflix so don't really feel I get much use out of it at all at the moment. Was hoping WWE Network would support it, but they don't (despite originally suggesting they would when they announced the Network launch). Works great for YouTube, but no good for watching videos cast straight from your browser (very laggy).

If anyone knows any decent apps or uses for it, I'd love some recommendations.

There's a setting in the Chromecast Chrome extension where you can dial down the video quality. It made an enormous difference to playback for me, and the video quality is perfectly watchable.

Chromecast is one of the best things I ever bought.

Yeah, any video can be streamed from Chrome, that's the point!!

I stream US Netflix for example, using Hola! to access the US site.  You just stream the tab rather than let Netflix itself do it.

I also stream American football matches from Wiziwig, wrestling from wrestling-network, all that.

Arch, if you're suffering lag, you probably need a faster wifi connection.  Chromcast can handle HD from tabs no problems, in my experience.

You have to be super fast to get one of those lightning deals. As soon as the good swag becomes available it's 100% claimed in a second. I noticed that Fremantle has knocked 2 quid of all DVD's and it looks like it'll be 2 quid off Blu-rays on Monday. That's probably the best offer that those tight fuckers will give you.

Did anyone actually venture outside for Black Friday sales? If so was it as bad as it looked on the news? The fighting is unbelievable, all to save what is not even that much money in reality.

I always assumed that the prices were ridiculous like a £400 tv down to £30 or something. However having read about it, the savings seem not worth it at all. It's all basically early Boxing Day deals to spread spending over a longer period.

Let's say you did want a tv, various electronics & whatever else. What's the amount of saving you would need to have to actually queue up outside and put up with all that stress?

I truly don't think there is an amount of discount I would actually go out and do that for.. It's not so much that I'm above queuing for ridiculous stretches of time (I've spent a night queueing outside for Demi Lovato tickets!) it's the idea of stress over getting a half price tv. Why do people think it's worth it?

• Paid Members

I bought a few games on Steam, got about 10 for £15. Spent £115 in Super Games World today though buying 6 of those new Amiibo figures, a Gamecube adapter and Gamecube controller for Wii U. That's more than enough for me.

Archived