The End Of The World Thread

M-Dudz

Haha!! What I meant is something might not magically happen that people will notice, maybe it will :) I don't personally agree with the idea of the theory of evolution, it is a theory.

Now, here are a couple of questions. And bearing in mind your standing around here, these are both "answer these or you're gone for 30 days" queries.

I take it he's been mod-twatted now, given the lack of reply?

He hasn't posted since Woy's last warning, so I assume he's on sabbatical. Hopefully Woy will do the same for a-a-a-aron.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Nah, he's not suspended. Probably just gone off his meds again and is running around Bournemouth town centre naked apart from a colander on his head, telling people to discard their chains of society and join him on a vision quest.

He'll be back once "the men in white" bring him down.

I'd just like to point out that, as a Christian, I find people that deny evolution extremely annoying. The fact is, when Darwin came up with it the general religious consensus seemed to be "yeah...that makes sense".

They had to throw another bit of the Bible onto the "that bit's just a story, it's not meant to be believed (the story's lead character God is real though, it's like an episode of Extras, or the film Being John Malkovich, where someone real plays a version of themselves in a fictional thing)" pile though. And those were odd references to be making in Darwin's time, which I suppose confirms omniscience.

• Paid Members

Not quite, the Garden of Eden was considered to be an allegory by many before Darwin. I'd need to reread Genesis 2, but I recall it reading like a poem, rather than an attempt at history.

Some christians read the bible, see what they like and decide what they interpret can't be proven wrong. They treat the bible like the fourth part of the trinity and, worse, think they can't possibly be reading it wrong.

Also some people are idiots.

Edit: Apology for the thread hijack, the religion thread is quite difficult to talk in because it's swamped by people calling Kenny a pedo or whatever

• Paid Members
Not quite, the Garden of Eden was considered to be an allegory by many before Darwin. I'd need to reread Genesis 2, but I recall it reading like a poem, rather than an attempt at history.

Some christians read the bible, see what they like and decide what they interpret can't be proven wrong. They treat the bible like the fourth part of the trinity and, worse, think they can't possibly be reading it wrong.

Also some people are idiots.

Edit: Apology for the thread hijack, the religion thread is quite difficult to talk in because it's swamped by people calling Kenny a pedo or whatever

Sort of on topic with the above two or three posts, the Mrs got a visit from the Jehovah's Witness' who gave her some sort of leaflet about what they do and so on. Being a tad bored one evening, and always looking to expand my limited knowledge on these sort of things, i gave it a read, (Dont worry I'm not interested).

Anyway, the whole thing was full of stuff like "We understand science is correct and that evolution is fact, as we incorperate all of this into our teachings", to which i thought "Good for them, moving with the times and so on", although the closing statment was something along the lines of "although we believe all this to be true.....Are you calling god/Jesus/The bible a Liar?", which sort of some up the whole thing for me. They are willing to acknowledge some of this stuff, yet when it comes down to it the good book is of course Gospel truth. That could just be that particular religion though of course.

They kind of DON'T believe it though, it's just a hook to get you involved in a conversation with them. As far as I can tell, they are peddling an "intelligent creator" line nowadays, so they can say "yes, science is true BUT it's all underpinned by God as he fills in the bits we don't yet understand".

There was this lovely old JW chap who came round once on a rainy Saturday morning, and I poked my head out of a window (I was naked at the time) to see who was at the door, and then felt guilty about talking to him from a great height, so went down (in dressing gown) and chatted to him in our porch for about 20 minutes. He gave me the same leaflet as your Mrs got, and it was an interesting read.

Thing is, he then came back every 2 weeks, every Saturday morning at 9.30 in the morning. Even though I made it clear I was an atheist and a rationalist. Eventually I had to move house to shake him off.

• Paid Members
They kind of DON'T believe it though, it's just a hook to get you involved in a conversation with them. As far as I can tell, they are peddling an "intelligent creator" line nowadays, so they can say "yes, science is true BUT it's all underpinned by God as he fills in the bits we don't yet understand".

There was this lovely old JW chap who came round once on a rainy Saturday morning, and I poked my head out of a window (I was naked at the time) to see who was at the door, and then felt guilty about talking to him from a great height, so went down (in dressing gown) and chatted to him in our porch for about 20 minutes. He gave me the same leaflet as your Mrs got, and it was an interesting read.

Thing is, he then came back every 2 weeks, every Saturday morning at 9.30 in the morning. Even though I made it clear I was an atheist and a rationalist. Eventually I had to move house to shake him off.

Wow, i hope thats true as it is a bit funny.

Yeah, aparently they offered to come back, but the Mrs said no, although saying that i think they did come back anyway. Like you've mentioned it was an "interesting" read before it just suddenly turned into something that just made me say "Oh dear...." and put it in the bin.

Sort of on topic, I saw a couple of JW lads in my local town who were walking about trying to talk to people, and they had both randomly picked a very drunk old chap to talk to. The old chap basically took the piss out of them , (he was doing so as i walked past so he may of been there for a while).

Poor JW's, they dont pick a good job do they? Speaking of which does anybody have random preachers in your local towns? We dont get it alot, but every now and again we'll have some random bloke shouting out various bible quotes in the town.

• Paid Members

I got a nice JW woman coming back a year later. I remembered her, reminding her that she was accompanied by a man the previous time. The cogs turned for a second before there was a flash of recognition in her eyes: "Oh yes! You're that one that believes in evolution, aren't you!"

I've been called worse :)

• Paid Members
I got a nice JW woman coming back a year later. I remembered her, reminding her that she was accompanied by a man the previous time. The cogs turned for a second before there was a flash of recognition in her eyes: "Oh yes! You're that one that believes in evolution, aren't you!"

WOW! Now thats a good quote, not something i've heard of before. I hope you had a decent come back for her?

• Paid Members

Don't get me wrong, I try to ignore jehovah's witnesses as a matter of course, but accepting evolution is a thing and all the sciency things isn't mutually exclusive with believing in a creator.

• Paid Members

The thing is with Johos, Mormons etc. is that when they approach you or knock on your door you really want to tell them to fuck off, but they are so ridiculously polite that, unless you are dead inside, it's impossible to do anything but nod and smile.

• Moderators
The thing is with Johos, Mormons etc. is that when they approach you or knock on your door you really want to tell them to fuck off, but they are so ridiculously polite that, unless you are dead inside, it's impossible to do anything but nod and smile.

It's ploys like this that enrage me - they totally know what they're doing. This summer, various Mormon/JW groups were in my street on Saturday mornings, and once you see a few pairings together, it's obvious how cynical they are in their approach. One week, each group had two adults, and a couple of well-dressed, cutesy kids. The kids would ring the bell, and be the first thing someone bothering to answer would see. Another week, they were all pairings of one sweet old man, and one super hot young woman, covering both bases. A third time, there were pairings of two hot younger women, each accompanied by a more stern church marm-type who'd hover by the gate, watching. Whatever religious group, there's always an air of a con game going on.

Louis Theroux actually tackled the 'hot young women' approach in one of his docs. It even has a name, 'flirty fishing'.

• Paid Members

WOW! Now thats a good quote, not something i've heard of before. I hope you had a decent come back for her?

Nothing amusing, just the usual "preference for observable phenomena over tribal tales" stuff. I'm pretty sure she countered that no-one had ever observed evolution, the sort of thing that might work with the Duanes of this world, but it was fairly routine to rebut.

As I wrote earlier she was perfectly pleasant and I didn't particularly feel aggrieved. I'm sure it did her some good to go over her lines with somebody polite instead of being told to fuck off. That latter treatment is reserved for unsolicited telesales.

I'm sure it did her some good to go over her lines with somebody polite instead of being told to fuck off. That latter treatment is reserved for unsolicited telesales.

Isn't that what the religious door-knockers are, though? The scientologists had me in for a test once on my way to a nightclub when I was sixteen, and then they kept phoning me trying to sell me books.

Archived