The End Of The World Thread

M-Dudz

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I was going through some old word documents the other day and found an article on the Grey Goo Theory. It's gotten no less scary in the years since I last read it.

I've not heard of this before. Care to fill me in on it.

Waiittttttt... is this Nanobots?

I do believe something will happen next year, but not because an ancient civilization just happened to end their calendar on a certain date (it had to end sometime, right?) but because someone will make something happen, be it a terrorist group who think it's a good idea to target the Olympics or perhaps someone gets fed up of being pushed around by the Americans. I certainly don't see the end of the world though!

So you're predicting next year may have a war or an act of terrorism in it, somewhere in the world?

Does sound a pretty safe bet, it must be said.

I was talking more on big scale, rather than the stuff that happens every year. Something like 9/11, rather than blowing up a car. Likewise with a War, I was thinking nuclear.

The way things are escalating with Iran right now, it's very likely

As silly as this sounds i was talking recently about a nuclear war starting but how America would somehow get control of an Iranian nuke and set it off themselves to make it look like Iran started it. It was all said in jest but that would be quite the conspiracy.

• Paid Members

I honestly think unless something crazy like "Aliens" or "Generic end of the world doom" happens, it'll be a random date, in a random year by an asteroid/Space explosion/other crazy natural thing that happens randomly throughout the universe.

The various governments probably wont say anything so not cause mass Hysteria or something. Mainly that fact it wont be a selected date is my point.

As silly as this sounds i was talking recently about a nuclear war starting but how America would somehow get control of an Iranian nuke and set it off themselves to make it look like Iran started it. It was all said in jest but that would be quite the conspiracy.

Don't you know the Americans flew planes into the WTC, and then did a controlled demolition, JUST to justify a war in Iraq? It's all over the internet. They've been doing it for years, the Great Depression was staged to fund construction of the Hoover Dam, World War 2 was engineered to allow public testing of nuclear weapons, and Vietnam was staged entirely to promote Neil Young's "Ohio" album.

• Paid Members
I was going through some old word documents the other day and found an article on the Grey Goo Theory. It's gotten no less scary in the years since I last read it.

I've not heard of this before. Care to fill me in on it.

From wiki:

The term was first used by molecular nanotechnology pioneer Eric Drexler in his book Engines of Creation (1986). In Chapter 4, Engines Of Abundance, Drexler illustrates both exponential growth and inherent limits by describing nanomachines that can function only if given special raw materials:

Imagine such a replicator floating in a bottle of chemicals, making copies of itself

• Paid Members

I like this bit from the Wiki article:

More recent analysis has shown that the danger of grey goo is far less likely than originally thought.

Phew.

The original article that I read was this one.

The End Is Nigh!

Nanotechnology

Matt Potter

You couldn't get further from the classic death-and-glory Armageddon scenarios than the threat posed by nanobots. Even the name of it is mind-numbingly dull: The "Grey Goo" scenario.

Far from going out in a blaze of glory, the world would end with a whimper, transformed into a lifeless planet, populated by nothing more than trillions of self-replicating microscopic machines, floating aimlessly through space. And it could happen within five days.

The cause for concern is that despite the fact that nanotechnology could transform everyday life beyond beyond recognition, with almost limitless benefits to medicine, travel and health, certain types of nanobot pose a very real threat to the future of mankind.

Nanotechnology, technology on the scale of one billionth of a metre, can create robots roughly one eight-thousandth of the width of a human hair - it is technology on the scale of atoms and molecules. However problems begin when you start to mass-produce them.

Because of the sheer complexity of producing such a small robot, the most practical means of doing it is to create a nanobot with the capacity to self-replicate. Unchecked "breeding" of a single nanobot could destroy the planet. If an unmonitored nanobot, designed to use organic matter as a raw material for replication, failed to stop replicating, it would spread like a virus, destroying all matter in it's path.

The scenario involves no astonishing intellect, no opening of the gates of Hell, just the relentless and repetitive transformation of atoms on the planet into a clone of one original nanobot. The maths is frighteningly simple: If the first nanobot could assemble an exact copy of itself in just under 18 minutes, the resulting replications could build two more in the next 18 minutes. After 10 hours there would be 68 billion individual nanobots. Less than 24 hours later, the single cell robots would weigh more than a ton. In less than 48 hours, they would outweight the Earth. Four hours later their mass would be greater than that of all the planets in our solar system.

I mistook the Grey Goo theory for Grey Goose theory and was quite looking forward to the end of the world in a vodka filled extravaganza.

No one think the fast melting polar ice caps will come and get us first, before any Iranian bombs, world wars or aliens find us?

Matthew 24:36

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,but only the Father.

Surely Matthew knows?

"fakkin' bulls- no, wait that's a different one, sorry.

Wasn't the world supposed to end earlier this year? And before that when the large hedron collider conked out (windows 7, I bet ya)? I didn't tell that person I've always loved them, then and I'm not gonna do it in December. You can get into a massive panic and shit yourself with fear, then get run over tomorrow and realise you wasted your precious little time worrying over something that you didn't live to see anyway. We're all gonna leave this mortal coil sooner or later. Enjoy what life you do have and tell the mayans and nostrodamaus to fuck off. Because they're dead now

Archived