Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Stephanie has signed a new 3 year contract with WWE.  Great news for the haters. 

I love how they've announced that, like there might have been a possibility she jumped to TNA or something.

"Is that...Is that who I think it is?!?"

"My god, Its Stephanie Hearst Helmsley"

"My god, what is she doing in the Hardy Compound?"

"Oh she's here to delete TNA. Good night folks"

Surnames for the women have been a long time coming. Despite all the mud matches and bikini contests, it's probably the most demeaning aspect of the way Divas have been presented over the years - that it's irrelevant what their full name is, they're just Victoria and Layla and Emma, no need to bother learning the rest because they're no more than a conveyor belt of lovelies to shake their bums and giggle before the serious athletes come back on.

Charlotte's a slightly odd case, because her first name is symbolic on its own - a representation of her dad's adopted hometown. A nickname, basically. In that context it's strong enough without a surname, whereas Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks need theirs to be taken as seriously as they are.

Surnames for the women have been a long time coming. Despite all the mud matches and bikini contests, it's probably the most demeaning aspect of the way Divas have been presented over the years - that it's irrelevant what their full name is, they're just Victoria and Layla and Emma, no need to bother learning the rest because they're no more than a conveyor belt of lovelies to shake their bums and giggle before the serious athletes come back on.

What a load of tosh.

One of the most guilty for being there solely because of how she looked was Trish Stratus - certainly initially. She was there for sex appeal and nothing else. Somebody with two names (shock horror!). For large parts of wrestling history, all women have been there "to shake their bum and giggle" whether they had one name or two. 

Also it hasn't done any harm to Charlotte herself or Bayley, who may be the biggest star NXT has ever had. With the right material, the right breaks and the right amount talent, then a single name isn't going to affect you. And if it's demeaning to women to only have one name, it's surely demeaning to the men who have to go by just a single name. As for "learning" the rest of the name, was anybody arsed that Hulk Hogan is really called Terry? Why should fans need to "learn" the rest of an athlete's name? Is anybody looking back on Lita's career thinking "fucking hell she'd of done a lot better if she was known as Lita Smith"? Or The Fabulous Moolah would have had an even better career if she was The Fabulous Moolah Jones? Or that Sunny didn't do half as well as she should have, she needed to be called Sunny Day to really hit the heights.

Also in this world, some of the most successful women on the planet are known by just a single name. Madonna, Beyonce, Rihanna, Pink.

Women wrestlers with one name is not demeaning in the slightest.

And if it's demeaning to women to only have one name, it's surely demeaning to the men who have to go by just a single name.

Yeah, but you're only proving his point. Look at the kind of male wrestlers who only have one name. Again, it's just the sexy bum-wigglers who are there for viewers to ogle:

Meat

Fandango

Gangrel

Neville

Sheamus

Christian

Kane

Undertaker

Typhoon

And so on. 

And if it's demeaning to women to only have one name, it's surely demeaning to the men who have to go by just a single name.

Yeah, but you're only proving his point. Look at the kind of male wrestlers who only have one name. Again, it's just the sexy bum-wigglers who are there for viewers to ogle:

Meat

Fandango

Gangrel

Neville

Sheamus

Christian

Kane

Undertaker

Typhoon

And so on.

To be fair, it's The Undertaker.

Fucking patriarchy. I remember that one woman's wrestler, Kharma, I could barely keep a stiffy at all her bum juggling thinking about how unfair it was she'd only got one name.

Or, alternatively, its the bum juggling that's the problem (though I don't really see a problem with it as a general rule) rather than a naming convention.

Edge and Undertaker headlined Wrestlemania. Kane and Mankind are huge stars. Batista did alright for himself. Goldbergs alright. In fact, there's so many big stars with single names I wish I hadn't even bothered replying.

Meat

Fandango

Gangrel

Neville

Sheamus

Christian

Kane

Undertaker

Typhoon

And so on.

Fucking patriarchy. I remember that one woman's wrestler, Kharma, I could barely keep a stiffy at all her bum juggling thinking about how unfair it was she'd only got one name.

Or, alternatively, its the bum juggling that's the problem (though I don't really see a problem with it as a general rule) rather than a naming convention.

Edge and Undertaker headlined Wrestlemania. Kane and Mankind are huge stars. Batista did alright for himself. Goldbergs alright. In fact, there's so many big stars with single names I wish I hadn't even bothered replying.

Batitsta & Goldberg have been acknowledged as Dave & Bill at times though.

It annoys me when they have 2 names and then suddenly changed to 1 and never mentioned (see Rusev & Cesaro)

• Paid Members

As pointed out, it's not a sexist issue. I can't see how anyone's come to that conclusion. For a start for every Ivory, Victoria and Charlotte, there have been Trish Stratus, Mickie James and Gail Kim.

Even in recent years Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks, Dana Brooke and Nia Jax have surnames.

My view is that if it's a gimmick name, then one name works. If it's a real name that's shortened, then it's generally shit.

If your surname is Snuka, it's completely fine to lose it.

Meat

Fandango

Gangrel

Neville

Sheamus

Christian

Kane

Undertaker

Typhoon

And so on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd give my left arm for a night with Kharma Edited by Wrasslin

What a load of tosh.
Kindly highlight the parts of my post where I:

a) said only women with one name had ever been demeaned,

b) said no woman with one name had ever been successful (by whatever measure you choose),

c) placed men in the same context, because lord knows they've always been viewed as equal by WWE.

You've taken my point to extremes when that's not how general patterns and attitudes work. There are exceptions to every rule but that doesn't mean it's not an influence.

Since you want to play this game though, how many credible male WWE Superstars can you list who have been officially known by just an ordinary forename, like Dave or Jim or Kevin - not gimmicks like Yokozuna and Undertaker?

Edited by Uncle Zeb