Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

It's stuff like that that makes you realise how anachronistic the 'Cena/Reigns should be more like Stone Cold and Rock' trope that we all carry around in our heads really is. Austin was never learning Mandarin off his own back to sell the St. Valentine's Day Massacre to the Far East.

Edited by Pinc

• Paid Members

It's stuff like that that makes you realise how anachronistic the 'Cena/Reigns should be more like Stone Cold and Rock' trope that we all carry around in our heads really is. Austin was never learning Mandarin off his own back to sell the St. Valentine's Day Massacre to the Far East.

I think that's a bit specious. There's a difference between talking about a wrestler's performance as a character, and his work as a company guy. I still say Cena should be more like them - not in terms of character specifics, but in terms of being more generally likable across the entire board, not just in terms of some demographics - but I'd also argue Austin at least should've had a work ethic like Cena's. The Rock too, although he wasn't bad as a company man.

In fact, in terms of sheer work ethic, I'd definitely say Cena's the best ever - not even Hogan matches him for the efforts he puts in for the company.

I think that's a bit specious. There's a difference between talking about a wrestler's performance as a character, and his work as a company guy. I still say Cena should be more like them - not in terms of character specifics, but in terms of being more generally likable across the entire board, not just in terms of some demographics - but I'd also argue Austin at least should've had a work ethic like Cena's. The Rock too, although he wasn't bad as a company man.

Aye, fair point that actually.

Likable is a terrible choice of phrase. Cena's character is about 87 billion and a quarter times more likable than either the Rock or Steve Austin.

To who? Austin always had the entire arena behind him, and Rock did 90% of the time too. Cena has been coming out to majority boos for 11 years and counting while drawing fewer fans to the product than either Austin and Rock.

• Paid Members

Likable is a terrible choice of phrase. Cena's character is about 87 billion and a quarter times more likable than either the Rock or Steve Austin.

To who? Austin always had the entire arena behind him, and Rock did 90% of the time too. Cena has been coming out to majority boos for 11 years and counting while drawing fewer fans to the product than either Austin and Rock.

Anyone with morals? Anyone who doesn't cheer bullying, violence against women, beating up non-wrestlers and referees, rubbing your wealth in peoples faces?

Austin and Rock were cooler but they weren't likeable. That was oddly part of the charm.

Jerry Lawler and his fiancée have both been arrested on domestic battery charges, including her claiming he put an unloaded pistol on the table and told her to kill herself.

From WWE.com:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Jerry Lawler was arrested at his home Friday morning by the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office in Memphis, Tenn.

According to a police report, Lawler and his girlfriend, Lauryn McBride, were taken into custody and booked on alleged charges of domestic assault—bodily harm, a misdemeanor.

WWE has zero tolerance for matters involving domestic violence, and per our policy, Jerry Lawler has been suspended indefinitely following his arrest.

Lawler's sober as a judge too. Not that alcohol is any sort of excuse in domestic situation, more to say this must have been pretty serious.

He'll be back, but it's one of those left of field things that always could have happened but you'd just never think it because Lawler's been in that safe nest in the company for donkeys years.

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Lawler's sober as a judge too. Not that alcohol is any sort of excuse in domestic situation, more to say this must have been pretty serious.

He'll be back, but it's one of those left of field things that always could have happened but you'd just never think it because Lawler's been in that safe nest in the company for donkeys years.

Lawler seems to get himself into all sorts of legal jams, and usually ends up coming out smelling of roses.  

I think it might be a bit late in the game for Lawler to come back if this does get a bit more ropey, he's already been moved to Smackdown whilst it's less of a priority and 'old fella with a dodgy home life' isn't the voice you really want soundtracking what is being pushed as the new era.

Austin was never learning Mandarin off his own back to sell the St. Valentine's Day Massacre to the Far East.

To be fair at that point in WWF's life, wrestlers from the far east were marketed as sneaky bastards, or men children that need to be taken under the wing of American wrestlers.  

Edited by Doctor Whos Next

Yeah Lawler has always seemed quite close to Vince as far as business goes (he knows where the bodies are buried) so he'll back at some point down the line. But as he's already been pulled from Raw and PPVs I don't think many will notice he's gone.

It does seem out of character for Lawler. Had it been something involving a 16 yr old girl then it would've been no surprise.  As Honky Tonk Man said during a shoot he was known as 'Jester the molester' back in the day.

Edited by The Clint