Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

WWE are getting sued for that one though. I'd forgotten the real attendance numbers ever get released, I remember Meltzer going on about it once now a few months after the show in 2013 or 2014, how come they don't get picked up on more?

This isn't WWE intentionally releasing it as a matter of course. It's just for some reason it was among the documents they filed in a court case and Mookieghana happened to get hold of a copy while researching the case.

Normally Vince's argument is that any number they mention during the broadcast is just part of the fictional show for entertainment. However, they did specifically mention 76,976 at WrestleMania this year, and call it a stadium record, in a press release that's on their corporate/investor website, which is legally iffy to say the least.

WWE has released an article about their latest recruits - some familiar faces but am struggling to put wrestling names to some:

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/wwe-performance-center-welcomes-new-class-of-recruits-27287363

So, I've got Uhaa Nation, Axel Tischer from WXW in Germany and Jessie McKay from SHIMMER - anyone get anybody else (I know some are non-wrestlers btw)

• Paid Members

Those "property of the WWE performance centre" T-shirts are cool. Quite a decent mix of big guys. I like the credentials of their recruits. Lot of guys who've played other sports or served in the military. Solid background. Good scouting.

• Paid Members

I like that the British guy "played collegiate rugby and was a regional discus champion". I played collegiate football and was a regional javelin champion (under-11s).

• Paid Members

Anyone know anything about Peter Howard (the UK guy)?  The WWE article says nothing about him wrestling for any indie promotions (unlike some of the other people they hired).  Would be interested to know how he got a tryout if this is the case because, like Linus says, college rugby and regional discus aren't exactly top level athletic achievements that would make WWE officials stand up and take notice  

Anyone know anything about Peter Howard (the UK guy)?  The WWE article says nothing about him wrestling for any indie promotions (unlike some of the other people they hired).  Would be interested to know how he got a tryout if this is the case because, like Linus says, college rugby and regional discus aren't exactly top level athletic achievements that would make WWE officials stand up and take notice  

Stuart Tomlinson had no wrestling experience whatsoever. Played in goal for Burton Albion and Crewe and retired with a dodgy knee. He looks like a beast and can obviously still perform to a decent level physically as he passed the initial tests to get into developmental. 

I think its the case with this Howard guy, just having any sporting credentials helps, as they probably see guys with any sporting background as people who will adapt to the training, have the right mentality etc.

Edited by Krytie 2X4B 523P

• Paid Members

A lot of guys only played collegiate sports before being picked up by WWE, I think. The Rock, Bradshaw, Stan Hansen are three who come to mind. I understand US collegiate sport is probably a bigger deal than what's played in UK universities, though.

EDIT: Now I think of it, they should probably take a look at Scottish and Irish university Gaelic football and shinty/hurley teams. I reckon there be gimmicks in them thar hills.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/10/cm-punk-wwe-ufc-training

There's been some weird reaction to this Punk interview piece online. People seem genuinely offended by the "fake" and "phony wrestling" comments which I dont get all. Wrestling being a daft, phony world seems a perfectly reasonable thing to say in my opinion.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

Punk comes across great in that interview, as he has done in every bit of press he's done since the UFC announcement to be fair. He was one of my least favourite people when he was in WWE, but outside of the wrestling business he seems pretty cool. You can tell he's just so much better off now, physically and emotionally. As a wrestling fan, you would have to be a real moron to take any offence from that interview. 

• Paid Members

It's sad, really. If anybody listened to his episode of the Jericho podcast (which is pretty good, all things considered) they will know that he seems physically buggered. In 2015 WWE, with them showing some compassion, you can't see him having too many years left, especially with the way he currently wrestles. What you take away from the Jericho interview is how passionate Bryan still is doing his job - he was even talking about learning to work with one hand, if the strength never returned to it - it's sad that he may get robbed of his prime years.

A shame because you can make a solid case for Bryan being the best wrestler in the World, when he's on form.

Edited by ColinBollocks