Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Holy shit!! Im in negotiations with HHH to go back to the WWE! Apparently Im asking for a short term contract! I hope I asked for big money!

Please let me know when Im going back! And what I said to HHH. Id like to know. I feel left out! #rumors

Not that it wouldn't be nice...just don't want anyone to buy into bullshit rumors. I haven't talked to Hunter. And Im tied down for awhile

All from dave's twitter in the last 20 minutes

• Paid Members

They could sign him to something like Brock has, where he appears a few times every few months, but it would be silly to bring him back to wrestle on a Night of Champions or B-PPV. He's well into his 40s now. He's never going full time with them again. The rumour flying around for a while was that they want to do Batista with Vince vs Triple H with Stephanie for the control of the promotion. I see that happening for sure. I dont see him coming back in the next few months. They seem to have stuff wrapped up for the big shows. They do a lot of stuff like this in advance. Like the Brock signing was wrapped up in the December of 2011. And they might have Sting in the bag as well.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I hope they haven't felt the need to come up with another BS "loser leaves" match or whatever.

When he was a super-serious heel, fine. Now, he plays the rock star character on TV. Tell the truth, say he's going on tour.

• Paid Members
Jericho's announced on twitter his match on Smackdown yesterday was his last. He's off on his summer break.

Shame we didn't all know he was leaving, I would have liked to believe he was just spitting his dummy out and stropping off. I want to take a moment on Jericho's latest tantrum. I like him as a performer and writer, but there's no getting away from the fact that's a ridiculous mark for himself who takes himself and his contribution to the biz far too seriously, and clearly thinks he's better than he is. Well, he tweeted this the other day in response to the finish of his match at MITB. I suppose I should spoiler tag it in case people still haven't seen the PPV, and I know from experience there is a particular brand of weapon that will still log onto the forum and read (they think) unrelated threads even if they haven't watched something yet. Well, tough. It's fucking Wednesday.

"Hmmm so many of you are angry that @Ryback22 won w a roll-up tonight? #thatstheidea #heeltactics"

One of my friends copied this and tweeted it directly to me, because I thought it was a dumb finish. He, and Chris, have missed the point.

"Heel tactics" or being a good heel, is about provoking the desired reaction, being boos, wanting them to get beaten, or getting angry/upset THAT they won. None of this is the case for me, with Ryback. I don't really care, and I certainly didn't care "if" he was going to beat the departing part-timer, mostly because it was patently obviously booked as a rehabilitation win after his streak of winless PPVs against someone that didn't need protecting and is established enough to weather a heavy defeat on PPV without affecting his position when he returns. Or to put it another way : the fact you've beaten Jericho, by itself, doesn't really mean all that much in 2013. Everybody's done it. Fandango's done it.

The finish of the match was stupid and angered some people, like myself, because given Ryback's status as a wrecking ball, and given Jericho's COMPLETELY EXPENDABLE status on Sunday night, he could have absolutely murdered Jericho dead and looked strong for his next program. I don't mean a squash match - the same competitive match they had, but finished with several powerbombs and a Shellshock. Instead, a flash pin that made Ryback, the huge monster, look lucky to beat Jericho. In other words, the finish put Ryback on Fandango's level, and no better.

Ive had it put to me that the finish gives Ryback some character development, that he now looks like a heel that can win smart as well as strong. Maybe, but the flaw for me is, why should he have to? Did Sid or Vader win any matches with roll ups? If Ryback had won the match in convincing fashion with big power moves - hell, even sent Jericho out on a stretcher - then I may have bought an aggressive refocused Ryback as a possible threat capable of equally dominating and pinning a Cena, Orton, Sheamus or face-turning Mark Henry. With the finish they gave us, I don't, and I thought it was a wasted opportunity.

But yeah, I'm a little confused as to why Jericho thinks "heeltactics" is a finish that people think is daft, rather than the result that provokes the required emotional reaction.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Spot on with the Y2J comments, Raider. I've felt like that about Jericho since I read A Lions Tale. I still like him though, but he can be infuriatingly, unjustifiably arrogant a lot of the time.

Also, did I miss something or is Ryback being punished?

He's gone from monster babyface, to monster heel and although he won on Sunday, he's still - in my eyes - on a bit of a descent. Not on a Vladimir Kozlov or Albert level, but something's telling me that's just around the corner.

Maybe, but the flaw for me is, why should he have to?

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Because this:

Ryback's status as a wrecking ball

Got fucked in October, and every month since then. Beating Jericho with his finish wouldn't have restored it. If he'd pulled Jericho's head and limbs off, maybe, but just doing his special and pinning him? No chance. WWE has finally realised that Ryback's ruined as an unstoppable monster gimmick. Sid never got chumped out ten times in a row. And Vader would've been lucky to win with a roll-up against a name opponent by 1998.

The finish did nothing for Ryback (although I am amused by the notion of someone using a roll-up as a finisher and it working because they're so strong) but a Shellshock win against a bloke who lost to Fandango and Curtis Axel wouldn't have done anything for him either. Ryback's fucked, and it's only big character work that'll save him now.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by King Pitcos