Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Dave believes we live in a place with people with nicknames like "the frugal Canadian".

I want to say it's Kevin Nash that complained that some people in wrestling and some fans and people on the periphery of wrestling cannot see things through anything other than the wrestling filter, and I think Dave is the perfect example of that. It isn't in this clip, but he nails him so good: 

• Paid Members

There's an annual comedy newcomer contest called So You Think You're Funny? that's a pretty big deal with previous winners including Peter Kay, Lee Mack and Dylan Moran (and a huge number of current big name comedians have been in previous finals.)

This year's winner? Danny Garnell.

Yep, the Progress/LDN/IPW/etc/etc wrestler.

I really fucking love videos of Nash treating wrestling fans/journalists like shit.  Even in those shoot videos like the one above, his utter disdain for his interviewer comes through.  Nash understands that it's a fucking business, that when he was on top in WCW that company was making more money than it knew what to do with, and that's ultimately the only metric that counts.

It's why wrestling critics can't get their heads round the new WWE FOX deal.  Why would a tv company reward Vince's poor booking with such a lucrative deal?  Don't they watch Raw and go through it with a tooth comb to find all the ways in which the product could be better?  Surely they should offer primetime to NXT?

Nash eating pasta whilst patronising a geeky wannabe wrestling journalist is the greatest wrestling moment of all time.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

One of my favourite things about wrestling is people on forums and social media telling Vince where he is going wrong. 

Yeah. The one I like is when people describe the changes in style, aesthetic, booking patterns, production etc that would make the product "better" without realizing that they're describing something so far removed from what the company puts out and always has put out, and usually just describing how another promotion's product. A lot of these people would much happier if they let go of their passionate pleas for change in a product they're clearly not enjoying any more and put more time into the wrestling that IS for them.

In my time as a fan, as an example, my favourite fed has switched from the WWF to WCW, back to the WWF, to Noah, to TNA, to ROH, back to WWE, to New Japan. In this day and age its never hard to find wrestling for almost everyone.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

In this day and age its never hard to find wrestling for almost everyone.

I’ve been a fan since around 89/90.

This is my favourite time to be a fan by far. There’s so much choice, and most of it is grand.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

3 hours ago, Loki said:

It's why wrestling critics can't get their heads round the new WWE FOX deal.  Why would a tv company reward Vince's poor booking with such a lucrative deal?  Don't they watch Raw and go through it with a tooth comb to find all the ways in which the product could be better?  Surely they should offer primetime to NXT?

The new TV deals would’ve been for double the amount, if only Vince had LISTENED TO THE FANS and sacked Reigns and built the promotion around Balor and Rollins. He’s a fool to himself, leaving so much money on the table.

4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

One of my favourite things about wrestling is people on forums and social media telling Vince where he is going wrong. 

Yeah, it’s such bizarre behaviour which is exclusive to wrestling as well. You never see fans of any other form of entertainment being critical about a product.

Imagine if fans spent this much time analysing their favourite footieball groups and so forth. The whole world would turn to pure madness 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

It shows how out of touch the writers are, it's as if they've never seen any of Danny Dyer's work before.  Booking him as a family man pub landlord is literally the worst thing they could have done.  They throw in the odd token catchphrases that made him such a hit in the first place but these insider references just don't cut it.  They're missing out on so much viewership.  Compare it with The Bill on Dave, it's night and day how they utilise the talent at their disposal.

When I was looking up some info on Disneyland queue times and ride closures, I came across a forum that was full of people complaining about every new ride that gets built and how all the previous eras of the park were better. I wonder how fandoms of stuff worked before the internet, did people just enjoy things, the weirdos? Sports always had radio shows where people could phone in and moan together, but that kind of thing didn’t exist for most stuff.

11 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

When I was looking up some info on Disneyland queue times and ride closures, I came across a forum that was full of people complaining about every new ride that gets built and how all the previous eras of the park were better. I wonder how fandoms of stuff worked before the internet, did people just enjoy things, the weirdos? Sports always had radio shows where people could phone in and moan together, but that kind of thing didn’t exist for most stuff.

I think it’s just a case of human nature for all of us to want to improve things and for us to think of ways stuff could improve. That’s probably how things like society and evolution happened.